why such a big gap? 726hp/840tq

3legs

Established Member
sorry im new to this mustang stuff and the guy i got the car didnt know all the specs but what i do know is its got a 2.3 whipple on 25psi, e85 with all fuel supporting mods,stock exhaust manifolds and dyno pulls were made in 5th gear due to spinning in 4th. sorry for my lack of info. but any help would be nice

BigWill90

Established Member
I don't know about that TQ number I would definitely put it on the dyno and retune check every thing over ...

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Is it just me or is that a ton of power for a 2.3 whipple?

3legs

Established Member
i had the car dynoed tuned for e85 and thats the numbers it made...im wondering if dynoing it in 5th gear will make the numbers that far off? or would the stock exhaust manifolds have anything to do with it? the shop has tuned e85 cars before but he did say he was unable to stop the car from going rich after @5200rpm and didnt know why.could it be something in the tune?

Last edited:

3legs

Established Member
photojpgdyno.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

Mystic03

Established Member
i had the car dynoed tuned for e85 and thats the numbers it made...im wondering if dynoing it in 5th gear will make the numbers that far off? or would the stock exhaust manifolds have anything to do with it? the shop has tuned e85 cars before but he did say he was unable to stop the car from going rich after @5200rpm and didnt know why.could it be something in the tune?

:dw:

3legs

Established Member
No joke! I asked the tuner if 5th gear pull we're safe and accurate...then reminded him about boosting in 5th and it not being1:1. He said its fine and common in higher hp cars

Danno44

Squatchin
Established Member
Ya you don't want to dyno in 5th. And if you have a stock motor that torque number is way off unless you left out a big shot of nitrous. The horsepower is optimistic too. I would take it to another dyno if you want real numbers and use 4th gear this time.

3legs

Established Member
I was told when I bought the car that psi here in Houston built the motor and before I converted the car to e85 it made 622 hp on 93 octane and 18 psi. So yes there is something done to the motor...I just don't know exactaley what. The old owner said the car made 650hp and when I dynoed it it made 622hp( on different dyno's) I believe the numbers to be correct just never seen the tq be so much higher then the hp

Zemedici

Established Member
Take it to a different shop. That "tuner" has no idea what he's doing.

Dynoing in 5th? el oh el.

3legs

Established Member
Yea I'm thinking the same thing. I bought some headers and will be taking it to a new shop for the retune. Thanks for reassuring my thoughts about the tune guys!

BrokenCool

LOL @ Retiring
Established Member
Never heard of any1 boosting 25 on a 2.3 or dynoing in 5th. The dyno could be messed up I had my car on a dyno were I made 750/1114 lol

03Cobranator

Established Member
Yea that dyno is off because tq/hp are supposed to cross at 5252rpm.. and your no where close to that.. it could also be because it was in 5th gear.. ive never dynoed a car in 5th so idk what the result of that would be lol

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
While that's a correct statement about crossing at 5252, that doesn't mean it's not possible. Torque could peak early(before 5252) and drop off, so the calculated peak hp number would then be lower.

3legs

Established Member
i defently have 25+ psi coming out of the 2.3. its got a 2.81 upper and whatever a 9.25'' lower is. my boost gauge in the car reads 27 psi at times and on other pulls his dyno was reading up to 27 psi. whould stock exhaust manifolds hold back hp and gain tq? or hold back both?

Users who are viewing this thread