Why spend money on pan when installing FTVB?

Jon02SVT

Axe me about Ebonics
Established Member
Maybe there is something I don't realize, but I've done a good amount of research and it seems the only benefit of a deeper pan (moroso, B&M, Ford Motorsport alum., and Ford 4x4) is cooler fluid for a cooler operating temperature. I've had a transmission temperature gauge since day one and never seen a temp above 170 even when towing. I plan on lowering the truck some day and wouldn't want to bottom out on it. So I guess the question is... why spend money on the deeper pan when installing a FTVB and any disadvantage to using the stock one? :shrug:

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
with my 4x4 pan, I usually don't see temps above ~160 or so.

I remember reading one of Gregg Evans post about tranny temps and something to the affect that every 10 degrees about optimum temp (I think it was 165 or so) it reduces the tranny fluid x2.....or something like that....

Jon02SVT

Axe me about Ebonics
Established Member
Anything under 180 degrees is considered "normal" for a transmission, and how often are you supposed to change fluid? Every 40,000 miles? I don't need a drain plug for that.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
true, but it is VERY nice with the drain plug. And the 4x4 pan is only like 40 bones. I have had any problems with bottoming out (except when I had a total of 3 people in the truck and went too fast over a speed bump). And the 4x4 'only' holds an extra quart.

PearlBlue L

Still Around
Established Member
i got into an accident with my 01, scrapped the whole underneath of the truck on the edge of the road as the truck flew into a 4ft deep ditch... didnt hurt anything under the truck, except bedning the frame..lol

nothing wrong with cooler temps if ya ask me... its always a plus.

Jon02SVT

Axe me about Ebonics
Established Member
i got into an accident with my 01, scrapped the whole underneath of the truck on the edge of the road as the truck flew into a 4ft deep ditch... didnt hurt anything under the truck, except bedning the frame..lol
:dw: Does this have anything to do with a transmission pan under "normal" use?

I have had any problems with bottoming out (except when I had a total of 3 people in the truck and went too fast over a speed bump)
Is your truck lower then stock? A picture of how low exactly this drain hole is would be sweet.

And the answer is NO, you don't need a deeper pan unless you think a maximum drop of 10 degrees(?) is worth $XXX. It seems much smarter to re-use the stock pan and spend the money on a trans cooler if your tranny overheats. Maybe temps over 170 just mean your ignoring a bigger problem

Last edited:

PearlBlue L

Still Around
Established Member
Jon99GT said:
:dw: Does this have anything to do with a transmission pan under "normal" use?

And the answer is NO, you don't need a deeper pan unless you think a maximum drop of 10 degrees(?) is worth $XXX. It seems much smarter to re-use the stock pan and spend the money on a trans cooler if your tranny overheats. Maybe temps over 170 just mean your ignoring a bigger problem
ranton.gif

well my truck is lowered 2/4... just telling ya i didnt have any problems with have a bigger pan....

and i have the tranny pan and the trans cooler, if your not willing to spend money on these trucks to help keep them cool then how can you say its not worth it to buy one?

to you its not, but to others it is. no one knows how you drive you truck compared to the next person. if you dont want to buy a pan then dont. under normal conditions its going to run cooler... under race conditions its going to run cooler... its not that hard to figure that out. the only part you gotta figure out is if its worth it to your truck... i know it is to mine.
rantoff.gif

Last edited:

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
Its got Eibach springs up front and 2" shackles out back.

I had my brother and mom in the truck, total in passengers and driver right around 700+/- pounds. It just BARELY caught the drain bolt and tweaked it just enough to give me an annoying drip.

I didn't spend the money on mine, it was already on the truck and got a used one free from the local performance shop. Would I swap the stock one out if I had that one? Nah, probably not....

Jon02SVT

Axe me about Ebonics
Established Member
I towed 400 miles with the Lightning this past weekend, and it was the first trip after installing my transmission temperature gauge. Trailer was 1,200lbs and my drag car project weighs right at 2,500lbs. So, a grand total of 3,700 lbs in tow. The results: -With the temperature at 88* and about 50% humidity, the tranny temp climbed to about 155* and stayed there. This was at 55-65mph steady highway driving with no stops.

-Once in town and doing the stop-and-go thing, the temps would raise up to 165-ish* but would never go past the 170 mark.

-On the drive back (at night time, with 75* showing on the outside temp display), the tranny temps never got above 155* at all.

Comparing those temps to my unladen temps of 135-145* when daily driving....and I'd say the factory tranny cooler does a pretty good job, at least in my situation.

Greg Evans states on his website that 190* is where the tranny fluid begins to really get hot and break down. So, I feel the 165 and even 170* temps aren't anything for me to worry about.

The question was about a practical everyday advantage to the modification. I can say its not worth it to buy one because the factory one was engineered right the first time unless you are seriously abusing it, making this modification a waste of money. Like I said before I've never seen above 170, under heavy towing and extended periods of vehicle operation. I don't autocross with the truck, most people don't. If you really want to autocross or make 30 passes a day, then cooling would become an issue. I feel street driven lightnings wouldn't need this.

PearlBlue L

Still Around
Established Member
your question was why spend money on a aftermarket pan.. and are there any disadvantages using the stock one.

ford isnt going to put a part on the truck that makes it a disadvantage to keep on it... like you stated about engineering right the first time.

so if the stock one keeps it cool enough for you to live with then i guess the only advantage of a aftermarket one for you would be faster tranny fluid changes... but you would rather unbolt the whole pan and try to tip it to let it drain.

why start this thread if you can answer you own question?

Silver '01 L

C'MON, ...BRUH!
Established Member
FT Valvebody
FT 2800 Torque Converter
Stock pan.
I don't find myself beating on the truck repeatedly. I rarely race back to back to back, therefore while cruising between red-light derbies the tranny has plenty of time to cool down. But it still never sees any temps higher than 180 on a summer day in the south.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
So, I'm just curious....if your so dead against and seem to already have the information and made up your mind...why ask the question??

ChrisNelson

* Screw the N.A.B. !! *
Established Member
I've flushed my fluid 3 times now. 36000 miles. Why not maintain these vehicles??? I beat the crap out of it, I should take care of it.

SM0KESH0W

Boostaholic
Established Member
Say what you want, but you can break a stock transmission very easily. Ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Every bit of prevention helps. It is not like it is $400 for a pan. Stop being a cheap skate and spend the extra pennies and do it. Or don't do it. And complain when something breaks later on.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
I have a Moroso pan. I don't see how the extra fluid will make the tranny run cooler though. With the extra fluid, it may take longer to get to maximum operating temperature, but it will achieve the same maximum temperature as it would with a stock pan and stock amount of fluid.

Users who are viewing this thread