Why shouldn't I get a SVO as the next project?

SERprise SVT

Sleepers are fun
Established Member
Guys/gals--

I've been having serious thoughts about buying a mid-'80s Mustang SVO as the next project. I have a decently quick turbo 4 cylinder now (in addition the Lightning), and the SVOs just appeal to me in some strange way.

The thought of a high-powered SVO just seems cool.

Anybody here have any thoughts/experiences with the SVOs from the mid-'80s and wish to share? Or...talk me out of my strange attraction to these cars?

Realisitically...how quick can the 2.3T engine be made to go? I'm just beginning to investigate...

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
Some guy named DonSVO on dfwstangs.net has an SVO that's supposed to be really quick. I hear they are a pain in the ass though and are constantly having problems. I almost came across one for free a while back. It didn't have a tranny and I would've had to get an abandoned title on it but the owner picked it up the last possible day.

I was pissed.

Ghetto Smurf

the 2.3T is a strong little motor. There is a guy going low 9's in a SVO with a 2.5l (stroker) tall deck ranger block. Esslinger aluminum head, 74mm turbo (i believe), C4, etc. Full interior car he drives on the street...pretty badass.

With the stock block/head...they arent hard to get power out of. Even with the T3. E7 Manifold is a good one to swap to, and port/gut the hell out of it, either use a ranger cam or a aftermarket one. VAM out of a 87-88 Turbocoupe. 3" DP/Exhaust, TB, MBC, better intercooler, etc. they can pretty quick. 300+hp on pumpgas without much of a problem.

SERprise SVT

Sleepers are fun
Established Member
See, a 300hp-ish automatic tranny, turbo'd 2900lb car just really appeals to me.

My 'other' car is 270hp and 2,490 lbs, and is more fun than you should be allowed to have.

The RWD aspect almost seals the deal for me on the SVO.

BittenInBama

Established Member
John Huber in St Louis area has an awesomely quick turbo 4.

SVOs do make for VERY fun SECOND (or third) cars. Require you to be on top of the maintainence game. I drive mine every day to work (4 miles each way) and its not too bad. Gets a little aggrevating trying to find parts some times though. So much is SVO specific and obsoleted. SVOCA.com is a great source of info for thses cars. Some of the guys there are getting 300+ rwhp out of their cars.

Users who are viewing this thread