Why relocate my LCA's?

eddieveddie85

Established Member
Someone please help me out here I'm in the process of buying up some suspension mods for one big install and am obviously going to buy some LCA's. But what is the benefit of relocating the rear mount? I mean I understand what the LCA's do and the benefit of have a stonger set but still a little confused about the relocation thing. :shrug:

Chuck@Evolution

Established Member
If you lower the vehicle, it is essentially raising the rear axle up into the car. In doing so your control arms (both upper and lower) are now pointing up towards the rear. You really want them closer to pointing straight forward.

VNMOUS1

Established Member
If you're really going to work those lower control arms, they need to be welded in addition to bolted. I've seen a lot of the brackets twist and/or break.

As simple visual as to why you need them:

On a stock car the forward lower control arm mount point is slightly higher than the rear. As you lower the car, either through mods or the rear squat on a launch, the lca becomes parallel to the ground, perhaps even higher in the rear than front. You need to get it back where the front mounting point is parallel or higher. Thus, extending the rear mounting point toward the ground.

Bj

Sent via Tapatalk from my MoPho

acrbill

Established Member
Like drag racing on a sticky tire. Which is pretty much the reason people relocate their lowers. I lowered my old 2011 1.5" and still never got a hint of wheel hop with the stock suspension.

eddieveddie85

Established Member
Well my car might see a drag stip a few times but never on slicks. I got some K spring which is 1.5, so I think I will just get some arm's and hold off on relocating them.

acrbill

Established Member
Just lower the car and see how it reacts. I have a Panhard bar sitting in the box since I did not want to add any hard bushings since they tend to increase NVH. Worst case is you buy the arms later.

wbt

Banned
One thing not clearly mentioned with the relo brackets is instant center. By lowering the LCA rear mounting point, it changes the car's instant center allowing the rear tires to plant better. Google instant center relocation brackets and you will find a more detailed explanation.

For the brackets themselves, I have been using the CHE pieces. They are bolt in, very durable and have launched the car at 6K on slicks and they held fine. In fact, on that launch, the drivers side axle twisted in half from the shock and force of the launch if that helps paint the picture.

Brackets:
View the 2011 Mustang Anti-Squat Brackets<BR>Part # CHE1L at http://www.cheperformance.com

Strpperpolef150

Established Member
One thing not clearly mentioned with the relo brackets is instant center. By lowering the LCA rear mounting point, it changes the car's instant center allowing the rear tires to plant better. Google instant center relocation brackets and you will find a more detailed explanation.

For the brackets themselves, I have been using the CHE pieces. They are bolt in, very durable and have launched the car at 6K on slicks and they held fine. In fact, on that launch, the drivers side axle twisted in half from the shock and force of the launch if that helps paint the picture.

Brackets:
View the 2011 Mustang Anti-Squat Brackets<BR>Part # CHE1L at http://www.cheperformance.com

Didn't your car have stock springs? Could you use these as relocation brackets on a lowered car? Also did they interfere with your swaybar relocation brackets?

I just got k springs for my car and before putting them on I want to get a panhard bar and relocation brackets. Also, are my gt500 lcas worth keeping or should I upgrade those too?

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
They also greatly assist in reducing wheel hop. I installed UMI relocation brackets and cured about 90% of my dry pavement wheel hop issues. Next up is a new set of LCAs and it should be done. I have had no issues with mine, other than needing to do a loosen and re-torque to rectify some clunking I had. You have to make sure everything is loose and the suspension is loaded before you tighten them fully.

I recommend them, but it is your call.

Mike

wbt

Banned
Didn't your car have stock springs? Could you use these as relocation brackets on a lowered car? Also did they interfere with your swaybar relocation brackets?

I just got k springs for my car and before putting them on I want to get a panhard bar and relocation brackets. Also, are my gt500 lcas worth keeping or should I upgrade those too?

Yes on stock springs. Absolutely can use on a lowered car. They will help place the rear suspension geometry back into symmetry after being lowered.

My swaybar did rub the relo brackets. I am using both the CHE sway bar relo brackets and the LCA relo brackets.

For the LCA's, it depends on your goals. I would keep them for now and see how they work. If you feel the need for something stiffer, I would use poly ended LCA's.

Hope that helps. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread