Why no inside the car locking fuel door cover?

acroholic

Established Member
The doorless fuel tank inlet is handy, etc, but anyone can access the fuel system in these GT500s. Why didn't Ford but a latch on the inside to release the door? Anyone can mess withthe tank that way.

I've seen some keyed fuel inlet locks for sale. Are these good? Do they mess with the vapor seal on the capless fuel inlet?

Last edited:

cbrmuscle

Established Member
I thought this at first and even bought a locking gas cap... until I tried to add fuel stabilizer for the winter and realized that you cannot add anything to the tank without a funnel device that is in the flat tire kit.

There is seemingly no way for someone to add anything to your tank. Even using your finger you cannot open the "valve" leading into the gas tank.

440sprint

Established Member
I bought & use my locking gas cap always. Anyone with a funnel or nozzle the right size can with the right opportunity add whatever they want to my gas tank!

I too wish that there was an inside the car gas door lock release! Most people love these cars, but some are jealous!

Last edited:

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
I bought & use my locking gas cap always. Anyone with a funnel or nozzle the right size can with the right opportunity add whatever they want to my gas tank!

I too wish that there was an inside the car gas door lock release! Most people love these cars, but some are jealous!

It's sad that we have to about people screwing with our cars. I hadn't thought about a locking gas cap until this thread.....

PRP

Established Member
It's sad that we have to about people screwing with our cars. I hadn't thought about a locking gas cap until this thread.....

I put one on my Raptor but ONLY because it sits outside the garage in my driveway it's got a 36 gallon gas tank and it would be costly if someone siphoned it out.

I don't have one on my GT500 but I did put one on my Wife's Flex. I take it off when we travel because we stop at least once per day to fill up.

I don't leave my GT500 anywhere I can't see it for any length of time so I'm not at all worried about someone putting something IN the tank or taking something OUT of the tank.

Phill

cbrmuscle

Established Member
Try getting anything in there with a funnel... It won't work. Unless you have a very long and narrow funnel... but if someone is going to go to that much effort to mess with your car, I am guessing that smashing your window or keying it is much easier.

Cam

n/a
Established Member
The hood isn't secure either, anyone can simply push the hood latch release inside the missing grille.

CMP

Fanatic Cobra Poster
Established Member
All very true. I tried putting chevron injector cleaner in (was not sure if the 94/96 octane unleaded gas I was getting had any detergents it so I wanted to make sure) and sure enough I notice spillage under the car:rollseyes. I must of not read that part of the manual where you need the funnel included in the pseudo tire well that must be used to get other stuff in if not using the gas station pump (lesson learned).

Still any vandal can try to stick stuff down the fuel neck. It won't make it through, but stuff can get lodged in there (not good) and the next time you try to put gas in there it will not be fun.:cuss:

For peace of mind get one..I usually watch my car like a hawk, but that one time you don't and stuff starts happening:(

acroholic

Established Member
Just seems a remote fuel door release would be a no brainer. I'm gonna get me a locking fuel inlet cover.

Franz

Speed Freak
Established Member
I put one on my Raptor but ONLY because it sits outside the garage in my driveway it's got a 36 gallon gas tank and it would be costly if someone siphoned it out.

Wish I had this option on my 2010 F350 Powerstroke. I rarely park it at my office over night, but left it there a few weeks ago and came back the next morning to notice my fuel door open and the gas cap hanging out of the door. Some idiot had tried to drain my tank and got away with at least a quarter of it from what I could remember.

Hopefully he got a mouthful of diesel in the middle of the night! :loser:

440sprint

Established Member
The hood isn't secure either, anyone can simply push the hood latch release inside the missing grille.

Thank goodness, there IS an inside-the-car hood release! Probably added in order to thwart engine thieves when the grill was deleted for increased airflow.

Do any other Fords have this special gas filler inlet with-or-without an inside gas cover release?

spazpilot

Established Member
I guess it's not like the BMW's were it locks with the door locks then? Never tried it on mines but just figured it locked with doors locks.

PRP

Established Member
Do any other Fords have this special gas filler inlet with-or-without an inside gas cover release?

ALL of them do.

Capless fillers started in at least 2010 (not sure about before 2010).

My 2010 GT500 has one.

My 2011 F-150 4x4 King Ranch had one.

My 2011 Flex has one.

My 2012 F-150 Raptor has one.

I don't know of a Ford that DOESN'T have one anymore.

Phill

PRP

Established Member
Just seems a remote fuel door release would be a no brainer. I'm gonna get me a locking fuel inlet cover.

My wife's Mercedes Benz ML had a nice feature.

There is just a tab on the fuel door with a hole in it. When you lock the doors, a pin sticks out of the inner fuel filler thing and through the hole in the tab, locking the fuel door every time you lock the car.

It still had a cap but you could get out of the car, open the fuel door, fill up (without having to unlock anything) and still have the security of a locking fuel cap/door when you lock the doors (at least with the remote fob).

Yeah, I *am* kind of surprised Ford didn't do something similar to that with the cap-less filler feature but the again....They make more money selling you a locking cap *after* the sale!

Phill

acroholic

Established Member
I guess it's not like the BMW's were it locks with the door locks then? Never tried it on mines but just figured it locked with doors locks.

Our fuel doors open if the car is locked or unlocked.

I just traded in a Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe when I bought my GT500, and it's gas door locked when the car was locked, like the Bimmer's does.

440sprint

Established Member
Have any of us Ford owners with this "Ford Easy Fuel" feature & no added lock ever had it breached and lost fuel or had something horrible added to their tank?

I will be impresses if the answer is NO, but my lock stays on anyway just in case. I don't want to be the first!

Farmer-Ted

I pooped a little.
Established Member
Never ever had a locking gas cap on any car I have ever owned, never ever had a problem with theft or someone putting something in there. Not too worried about it.

Users who are viewing this thread