Why no "hook" for gas cap?

32ValveSymphony

Established Member
Every time I fill the car up, I get so mad because the gas cap just lays there against the paint. What was Ford thinking? I always think maybe mine doesn't have a hook but should :cuss: Is there something missing on mine or are they all like this?

ZXnVS

Established Member
It's a simple matter to remove the stupid tether that holds the cap in place. I for one would much rather take the slight chance of forgetting the cap than have it dangling against the side of the car rubbing against the paint.

Remove the screw that holds the tether to the car, then remove the gas cap and with a little pulling (and maybe prying with a small screwdriver) the ring around the cap can be removed. Throw the damn thing in the garbage where it belongs, and voilá...

CobraEd

Established Member
and no inside release

all my other cars have an inside gas door release. Why didn't they do this on the Mustang. Now anyone can walk by and put "stuff" down there:shrug:

Ed

griffined

SVT driver
So they could sell you a locking gas cap as your first mod?

I bought one, since I don't care for the gas cap door mods.

It's decontenting. Same reason there's no passenger side door lock, no lights on the window and cruise control switches, no underhood or trunk light...:shrug:

a94cobra

Established Member
Yeah whats up with the no under hood light. My 94 has one.

Honest Mike

Established Member
ZXnVS, You left out one step, to put the screw back in its hole where it came from so it looks factory still and nothing is missing. :D :thumbsup: Just kiddin ya a little. Mike

KNGOBRA

Banned
"It's decontenting. Same reason there's no passenger side door lock, no lights on the window and cruise control switches, no underhood or trunk light..."

I got a trunk light...didn't you guys??

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
Originally posted by griffined
So they could sell you a locking gas cap as your first mod?

I bought one, since I don't care for the gas cap door mods.

It's decontenting. Same reason there's no passenger side door lock, no lights on the window and cruise control switches, no underhood or trunk light...:shrug:

The SN95's never had a passenger lock, or lighted window and cruise switches, so I don't know if it's "decontenting" or just "no-content" :-D The new Stangs will have the lighted switches, all of Ford's latest stuff I've seen has it.

a94cobra

Established Member
The SN95 most certainly did have a passenger side door lock. Mine sure as shit does. 94 cobra.

03 Red Cobra

Established Member
The reason for no outside key hole on the passenger door is for theft prevention. Since the passenger side is normally parked along the curb, it is easy to pick the lock on that side since a thief can hide easier there than on the street side. Many vehicles have not had a key hole on the passenger side door for years such as Lexus LS400-95-on, LS430, Jeep Grand Cherokee since 99, etc.

03DOHC

Established Member
Probably because the car is expensive enough as it is. Maybe you'd like to pay 60 grand for it with everyones wants on it? My '97 Cobra didn't have one so I never expected it on my '03.

Users who are viewing this thread