Why no 6 speed?

NJFbody

Established Member
I did a search and did not find anything on the above, sorry if I overlooked something. I was wondering why the new GT didn't go with a 6 speed. Any thoughts? Thanks.

NJFbody

Established Member
Thanks for the reply. That sucks. How much more would a six speed run? I have a feeling it will turn up sooner or later.

Kovachian

Me vs. Earth
Established Member
Wasn't too expensive for the Focus. Obviously not the same tranny but it proves that using six gears does not make the car too expensive. I think Ford had some other stupid reason.

Onivlas

Established Member
In all fairness, I have a SVT Focus with the six speed Getrag. Most of us would prefer the five speed. Why? It'd make drag racing much easier, the first gear is way too high (this might not be applicable to the Mustang, but read on), it's a non-serviceable unit (meaning if something goes wrong, the whole tranny needs to be replaced), and it's only rated for 144 ft/lbs of tourqe. It's extremely weak, and is one of, if not the weak point of the drive train.

Don't focus so much on gimmics. A well done (as reviewers say) and cheaper five speed is much preferable to a weak six speed. You don't want to have to build your tranny for bolt ons.

cito

Official Kumho Shredder
Established Member
The six speed is a lot heavier as well. It was a decision based on pragmatics and economics. I have to admit I never, and I mean never, use all six speeds in my cobra. On the street its almost always 1,2,3. On the highway, its 1,2,6.

crispy23c

SVT Chupacabra
Established Member
Onivlas said:
In all fairness, I have a SVT Focus with the six speed Getrag. ...and it's only rated for 144 ft/lbs of tourqe. It's extremely weak, and is one of, if not the weak point of the drive train.

Cost goes up exponentially with the tranny's ability to handle torque. Also, the GT Mustang is a nice price for the performance, so why add alot of $$$ for an option with limited appeal?

Wildpony

Established Member
They should offer, as a factory option, the TKO 500 or TKO 600 since that is the same company that makes the stock tranny for Ford. They could sell it as a severe duty package or something that makes current stuff less "inferior".

The package could include the TKO, Cobra clutch, aluminum D/S, and maybe factory welded in subframes. They could call it the "Bullet" option package

CY98Cobra

Established Member
no t56 because of cost. a 3650 cost what, $1200. a t56 cost $2500-$3000. thats a $1300-$1800 price increase not counting markup. if you are trying to keep the car at the current price level you cant add $1500 of additional cost for a 6 speed, especially since most people who buy this car dont care about how many gears they have. same goes for irs, too expensive.

i myself would take a t56 over a 5 speed anyday (obviously i have one:)). a six speed allows for closer gear ratios without fuel mileage penalties like a 5 speed. but to each his own.

NJFbody

Established Member
Black98COBRA said:
no t56 because of cost. a 3650 cost what, $1200. a t56 cost $2500-$3000. thats a $1300-$1800 price increase not counting markup. if you are trying to keep the car at the current price level you cant add $1500 of additional cost for a 6 speed, especially since most people who buy this car dont care about how many gears they have. same goes for irs, too expensive.

i myself would take a t56 over a 5 speed anyday (obviously i have one:)). a six speed allows for closer gear ratios without fuel mileage penalties like a 5 speed. but to each his own.

Thanks for the great points folks. I agree with your last paragraph Black98COBRA, that's why I posted this thread. ;-)

CY98Cobra

Established Member
the extra gear really does make a huge difference. i really only wanted the six speed beacuse it was a six speed but after putting it in i realized how big a difference gears make in the tranny also. you cant go wrong with a t56, i love mine.

love bandit2

Established Member
Black98COBRA said:

uhh... I don't think ford would be paying street price considering they'd be ordering thousands at a time...

CY98Cobra

Established Member
it doesnt matter. take something that cost $3000 and buy thousands. then buy thousands of something that cost $1200. which is going to be more expensive? the one that cost $3000 of course. the t56 will always be more expensive than a 3650.

KevinB120

COOKIES!
Established Member
Kovachian said:
Wasn't too expensive for the Focus. Obviously not the same tranny but it proves that using six gears does not make the car too expensive. I think Ford had some other stupid reason.

Its called keeping a 300hp RWD car in the same price range as a fwd 180hp Celica. Plus, it really doesnt do anything for the cars powerband range. The 6th in Vipers and Vettes are virtually useless.

Last edited:

Kovachian

Me vs. Earth
Established Member
KevinB120 said:
Its called keeping a 300hp RWD car in the same price range as a fwd 180hp Celica. Plus, it really doesnt do anything for the cars powerband range. The 6th in Vipers and Vettes are virtually useless.
My sixth gear is anything but useless. I use it everyday. It's what allows my cars like mine to cruise the interstates at ridiculous speeds all the while maintaining respectably low rpm. :burnout:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread