Why new mid pipe?

palehorse

Established Member
I just read some other posts in terminator talk that 95 percent of the horsepower gained in swapping exhaust is in the mufflers. If this is true why have so many switched the mid pipe? 400-500 bucks "just for fun" seems foolish.

I am asking because my car was suppose to go in today for a Magnaflow catted x-pipe and Magnaflow cat back, but the x-pipe did not come in so I rescheduled. Now I am wondering if I should even change the x-pipe. Someone please explain why switch the mid pipe.

SC2003

Banned
Don't really know how to answer your question, but I have a Bassani O/R X magna-pack catback and I am pushing 416hp/392tq(without tune).

I have seen others who don't have mid-pipe changed put down lower numbers.

I know cuz of no cats the tq dropped.

palehorse

Established Member
so what your saying is that at 4000 rpms you have more horsepower with a "better" midpipe then your other wise would with just a cat back, but at 6500 rpms there is little or no difference in horsepower with or without the "better" midpipe. Is that right?

SCcobra4me

ON3 U LUZ
Established Member
palehorse said:
I just read some other posts in terminator talk that 95 percent of the horsepower gained in swapping exhaust is in the mufflers. If this is true why have so many switched the mid pipe? 400-500 bucks "just for fun" seems foolish.

For me, it's all about the sound, my mid-pipe shipped was $185, and yeah I guess it's just for fun and I gained a few ponies. :rockon:

palehorse

Established Member
I can appreciate that. My post was not intended to be critical of those who have purchased one, as I most likely will do as well. However, I am not concerned with the sound, I think I am in the way minority on this, but I would prefere it to sound stock, at least during normal driving.

Maybe I will do a poll on mid pipes.

tankerman1981

Established Member
I'll be getting my midpipe in hopefully soon.. got a MAC O/R H Pipe sooo hopefully with the combination of the borla stingers I plan on getting I can scare the crap out of people... he he he... it's all about the sound for me..

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Basically what Chini said, you gain some power/torque in the midrange, but nominal gains at peak.

Gains tend to be larger on modded cars.

Users who are viewing this thread