WHY ME!

Status
Not open for further replies.

razyracer

Established Member
well i dont know what the hell the problem is.. i have a great respect for police officers... but they are always pulling me over... ive been pulled over aproximately 13 times over summer.. i dont know why.. i dont do anything wrong, but just recently this police officer pulled me over and told me i was driving recklessly

i was makinga right turn onto a street and the sprinklers on the median (where there were plants) had wet the street.. i went around the turn and upon accelerating out of it my tires lost traction and spun out... (i have nitto drags, not the best in the water).... well the cop behind me pulls me over and tells me how i was driving recklessly.. when i tried to tell him what happened he wouldnt have it.. he started telling me he was going to write me a huge ticket for reckless driving.. he then gave me the usual question "do you know why i pulled you over".... i told him no... and wouldnt admit to anything because i didnt do anything.. and i knew if i said something that might incriminate me he would definately write me a ticket... anyway he gave me an choice.. i could either get a huge ticket.. or he could call my mom.. i know if i argued he could have written me a ticket for anything.. then i would need to get a lawyer to fight it.. so i was like who cares call my mom (i am only 17).... so he calls my mom and tells her how crazy i was driving and now im up the creek....

it was F'ed up and its not the first time its happened to me... i think its my exhaust because its really loud... mac prochamber and magnaflows... so im taking them off in an attempt to lower my "pull over rate".....

anyways.. do i have any rights?.... it scares me to think a person of such authority could be so controling over an innocent person... and how slowly judiciary system has become guilty until proven innocent...

what do you guys think? any tips for dealing with these officers? what kind of rights do i have? do you think my exhaust is the problem i get so much attention?

thanks a lot

justin

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Justin, if it isnt the same cop pulling you over all the time then it is you, your car or the way you drive.

The is no conspiracy. 13 Times in one summer is quite often. That means you stand out for some particular reason. If your exhaust is really that loud, that may be the culprit.

Good Luck

Ginsu

Established Member
I agree with FordSVTFan that for some reason you stand out and get noticed. You should take an honest look at yourself or the way you drive.

Also the reason he pulled you over is a justified one. And I am familiar with how DR's can break loose when cold and or on wet pavement. Every state has some type of "Breaking Traction", "Laying Drag", or just lump that violation into reckless driving. Why, because the driver does not have control of the vehicle. And basicly if you had lost it causing property damage or an accident with injuries to yourself of someone else then the fault would have fallen squarely on your shoulders.

Now as for the cop not wanting to listen to your story... Have you ever heard of the 10% rule? It is usually the 10%'ers that mess things up for everyone in almost all aspects of life. Well that rule is for the most part reversed in who us cops deal with. Usually it is only 10% people that we encounter that have not violated the law, or tell the truth, or get nailed by mistake. I know I do not like to hear excuses and me personally I am more willing to over look things when people are honest with me. Certain things obviously can not.

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
raz i am not a cop but i would deff change the exhaust to tone it down a bit doesnt help that you are a young kid aswell i was 19 when i got my 89lx and i was being stoped and followed all the time i am 23 now still got the car and no wheres near the probs i had then mine isnt that loud thoughi have cats and a full mac exhaust

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
Hey Justin, what do you expect a cop to do when you spin out?
And you have a hotrod with loud exhaust. I think you're real lucky he didn't write you up.

razyracer

Established Member
i am a very safe driver.. out of all the times ive been pulled over ive never been written a ticket... i always get warnings.. 2 of 13 times (i exaggerated.... it was more like 13 times in about a year) it was the same cop... but if i do stuff wrong how come they dont write me tickets? im a very safe driver.. i dont street race... i obey speed limits.. i have no accidents, not anythiing on my record... im a great student (straight A's)... and a great citizen.. it seems i mostly get pulled over in the city of Huntington Beach.. those cops just HATE me.. maybe its the way i look.. i have long black hair.. im one of those Emo kids i guess.. if you know what that is...

ginsu.. you can not tell me.. even as a police officer... even as someone who has gone through extensive training with controlling an automobile... youve never slipped the tires on a wet day... i mean come on.. does that mean you should get in trouble for it...

this officer called my mom told her i was driving recklessly as if it were intentional.... he did not say "his tires lost traction for a little bit so i pulled him over" my mom tells me it went something like this "i pulled over your son tonight because he was driving VERY recklessly...i witnessed him pull around a turn at an excessive rate and he smoked his tires show-offingly..."

NONE of that happened.. the officer didnt even witness me pull around the turn... and i had to stop at the light so how could i go around the turn at an excessive speed... and he freaked out my mom cuz you know how they get.. a call from a cop.. my moms heart stopped she thought the officer would say "im sorry maam.. your son was killed...."... i mean it really pisses me off when i think what these people put my mom through evertime she gets a call...

im convinced its my exhaust thats the problem which is why im putting the stock h pipe back on first thing tomarrow morning..

thanks anyway =)

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
thats prob not a bad idea it sucks but what ya going to do better luck when ya get a little older maybe less ball busting
and try not to do any of this:burnout:

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
I'm convinced some cops have a hard-on for anyone with a nice car. In an earlier post I related how I was tailed for 13 miles by a Michigan State Trooper as I drove my new Cobra home from the dealership. When we finally met at a light, I asked him why I was being followed and was advised he was waiting for me to do something illegal. Also that he admired the car.

Recently I was tagged while traveling in a group of cars, I was going the same speed as the majority. Cars were passing me on both right and left sides, but I guess when the radar beeped he only zoned in on the Cobra and assumed it was me. It will cost me a minimum of $500 to fight this, with uncertain outcome. He wasn't even in his legal jurisdiction!

My conclusion is that many (not all) cops are only out to throw around their power, and to generate revenue for the little government agency that pays them. Their status and promotion is governed by ticket quotas.

I even have an experience where I witnessed an armed robbery in progress at a gas station, and drove 1/2 block away to tell two cops running a speed trap about it. They refused to leave their traffic post, instead called it in!

Sorry if my post offends some police officers, I can only tell it like it is. I haven't had an accident in over 35 years of driving, and I'm %$#! sick and tired of being hassled by "5 over" tickets just because I drive a nice car.

Ginsu

Established Member
razyracer, what I was saying was his stop reason was a valid one and that could probably fall into reckless driving in your state. And you can probably agree that from your prospective you did not think that you spun out that much, but from where the cop was you may have slid out more than you thought you had. Add to the equation the drag radials which may have caused a more drastic spining of your tires which would have given the impression that you did it intentionally. And yes I have done the same in my personal vehicle as well as in a police car. Usually what I do is let off the gas as soon as I feel the tires starting to break loose, gain traction, then back on but not as much. And the result is very little tire spin or not even noticable.

We get so used to people trying to bullshit us that unfortunatly we do not believe those that are telling the truth (which is usually only 10%), because it sounds like one of those typical lines. Since you were in your car and were not outside it to see what it may have looked like to anyone else, can you realistically say that it did not look intentional to a second party? From what you have said, a wet road, drag radials, your car's power and did you let off it immediately or just ride it out. I doubt he would have pulled you over if it had looked like "his tires lost traction for a little bit so i pulled him over". And another possibility that may have been a factor is there is an over whelming majority of drivers in your age group that drive with their "HUA".

sohowcome

Captain Obvious
Originally posted by harry gilbert
I'm convinced some cops have a hard-on for anyone with a nice car. In an earlier post I related how I was tailed for 13 miles by a Michigan State Trooper as I drove my new Cobra home from the dealership. When we finally met at a light, I asked him why I was being followed and was advised he was waiting for me to do something illegal. Also that he admired the car.

My guess is he was just chekcing your car out.........

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
1)Why do you have DRs on the street?
2)Traction control must have been off......or else you wouldn't have spun that bad
3)13 times...musta done something wrong to get pulled over ONCE
4)17 and a 01 GT...expect to get pulled over....

hillie16

Stand Silent in Flames
Established Member
Originally posted by razyracer

and how slowly judiciary system has become guilty until proven innocent...

Sorta like the media and public do to cops who are accused of wrongdoing, when 90% of the time it's some dirtbag trying to get out of an arrest or get money....

Recently I was tagged while traveling in a group of cars, I was going the same speed as the majority. Cars were passing me on both right and left sides, but I guess when the radar beeped he only zoned in on the Cobra and assumed it was me.

Once again, I state the following...

Ever go fishing?......Ever catch all the fish?....at once?

My conclusion is that many (not all) cops are only out to throw around their power, and to generate revenue for the little government agency that pays them. Their status and promotion is governed by ticket quotas.

Once again, I state.....
QUOTAS ARE A MYTH!
They better be, or I'm in trouble for only writing three or four tickets in the last two years.

I even have an experience where I witnessed an armed robbery in progress at a gas station, and drove 1/2 block away to tell two cops running a speed trap about it. They refused to leave their traffic post, instead called it in!

They may have been traffic division, whach are not allowed to respond to calls, only run traffic, which means their job is writing tickets....not filling a quota....

I'm %$#! sick and tired of being hassled by "5 over" tickets just because I drive a nice car.

THEN DON'T SPEED!!!

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Hillie, I refused to answer that post.

Glad you did.

Perfectly put!

Same thing as always, they want cops there when the other guy is breaking the law, but not when they are.

Plus, isnt this forum for L.E.O's to talk and chat, not for us to get bashed by posters that know nothing of the job and are pissed about a ticket??

Pissed about a ticket, post it in the Road Side Forum.

What is even more funny, the dude you are responding to, posted a thread asking for a L.E.O.'s help, now he bashes.

Crazy.

Hillie keep up the awesome work.

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
You missed my point: I WAS NOT SPEEDING! The radar alerted on the cars passing me; the cop zoned in on the Cobra and ASSUMED it was the speeder.

Your observation that traffic officers can ignore an armed robbery in progress is a sad travesty of the oath that police take to protect and serve. A life threatening incident ALWAYS takes precedent over something like speed law enforcement. Except in the minds of someone who would avoid placing themselves in harm's way.

Based on the "police officer" response, I see you will defend selective and inaccurate enforcement, and cherry-picking the least dangerous assignments. Thanks for making MY point.

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
Originally posted by FordSVTFan
Hillie, I refused to answer that post.

Glad you did.

(Snip)

Pissed about a ticket, post it in the Road Side Forum.

What is even more funny, the dude you are responding to, posted a thread asking for a L.E.O.'s help, now he bashes.

Crazy.

Hillie keep up the awesome work.

Excuse me, I thought "The Donut Shop" was the correct forum for this thread. I did not ask for an LEO's "help", only advice about whether it was worth fighting a bogus ticket. I was also very careful to specify that only SOME LEO's are guilty of this behavior. Note the thread started with a post about Razyracer being hassled. Maybe he was doing something wrong 13 times; maybe he was being singled out due to his age and car. My point is that sometimes undeserved attention DOES happen. Sorry if I struck a raw nerve.

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
Originally posted by sohowcome
My guess is he was just chekcing your car out.........

Except he specificially told me he was tailing me in hopes of my doing something wrong. Proves the point that << SOME >> police do focus undue attention on nice cars. If I wasn't doing anything wrong to begin with (I wasn't), he had absolutely no business following for 13 miles hoping to tag me for some violation.

Note to forum moderator: This is not a bash. It is a response to a post about unwarranted police attention, in a forum focused on motor vehicle law. If you are an LEO, I'd like to know the legal basis for following a motorist hoping that a law would be violated.

hillie16

Stand Silent in Flames
Established Member
= The radar alerted on the cars passing me; the cop zoned in on the Cobra and ASSUMED it was the speeder.

Radar alerts on whichever car you point it at...you ASSUME that he assumed, and radar has a long range, so it's quite possible that he got you when before you saw him....

Your observation that traffic officers can ignore an armed robbery in progress is a sad travesty of the oath that police take to protect and serve. A life threatening incident ALWAYS takes precedent over something like speed law enforcement. Except in the minds of someone who would avoid placing themselves in harm's way.

Let me quote myself, and emphasize....

Originally posted by hillie16
They may have been traffic division, which are not allowed to respond to calls, only run traffic, which means their job is writing tickets....not filling a quota....

meaning they risk losing their job, and not being able to support their family by "putting themselves in harms way", which officers do everyday while people complain about their "5 over" tickets and reckless driving tickets when "I only spun a little". I used to drive an '84 Cutlass that I ran 11's with and DOT slicks.....drove it without spinning easily.

Oh, and BTW conducting a traffic stop IS putting yourself in harms way. Domestic violence and traffic stops trade places once in a while as the two leading incidents where an officer is hurt or killed.

Based on the "police officer" response, I see you will defend selective and inaccurate enforcement, and cherry-picking the least dangerous assignments. Thanks for making MY point.

Based on YOUR response, I see you will disagree no matter explanation is given. Everyday, no matter how small the town, no matter how small the offense, an officer outs himself in harms way. But people don't seem to realise that they guy I'm pulling over for a burnt out tailight may have just killed his wife, or robbed a convenience store, which may not have been reported yet....or might be transporting large amounts of narcotics....but the guy driving the car thinks I'm trying to arrest him for it, when I'm only gonna warn the guy about his taillight. So he comes outta the car with guns blazing...then I'm on my back thinking of my kids, and my girlfriend,and my family....and the last thing that goes through my head is a bullet.

BUT, I was cherry picking the easy assignment and selectively and innacurately enforcing.

Thanks for proving MY point.

Last edited:

hillie16

Stand Silent in Flames
Established Member

I did not ask for an LEO's "help", only advice about whether it was worth fighting a bogus ticket.

I don't see a request for advise...just a conclusion drawn...

Recently I was tagged while traveling in a group of cars, I was going the same speed as the majority. Cars were passing me on both right and left sides, but I guess when the radar beeped he only zoned in on the Cobra and assumed it was me. It will cost me a minimum of $500 to fight this, with uncertain outcome. He wasn't even in his legal jurisdiction!

For further posting information, please refer to the Donut Shop Posting Guidelines at the top of the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread