Why is my whipple making this noise?

Colt .45

Established Member
Installed the whipple last week and started it for the first time today.

When running it makes a VERY high pitch sound and it doesn't stop. I rev it a little and it is still there.
I took a vid of it on my iPhone. It only lasts a few second in the vid though. I have no idea why the iPhone stopped recording that frequency.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHxymIn7ax4"]Whipple noise - YouTube[/nomedia]

WTF is wrong? Did I botch the install? Is the whipple I purchased bad?

FML

Colt .45

Established Member
Took the whipple belt off and it still made the noise. So I took a soapy solution and sprayed the rear of the motor to see if there is a leak. Didn't see anything so I rinsed it off with a water hose. As soon as I did that the noise stopped.

Very strange.

04svtcobrablack

Established Member
Did the blower seat correctly on lower manifold? Do you have Stock or aftermarket fuel rails? I had this happen to me when I was installing my 2.9 whipple the inlet was hitting on the dx fuel rails so I had to grind down the rail and the inlet so the blower would seat all the way down on the lower intake manifold.

Colt .45

Established Member
Did the blower seat correctly on lower manifold? Do you have Stock or aftermarket fuel rails? I had this happen to me when I was installing my 2.9 whipple the inlet was hitting on the dx fuel rails so I had to grind down the rail and the inlet so the blower would seat all the way down on the lower intake manifold.

Stock rails and yes it did seat. Its very weird. I have cranked it several times now and the sound has gone away.
Oh well, off to get it tuned tomorrow. hopefully it stays quiet.

Blueline

Established Member
You may have a leak in one of your vac hoses. Triple check they are all secure and none have any holes in them, especially around the EGR tube.

04svtcobrablack

Established Member
^ this might be a vacuum leak on one of the hoses i zip tied all my vacuum hoses to ensure they wouldnt come loose

Ironhand

Banned
Its either a very small vac leak or a very small boost leak. The freq is so high that it sounds like air being forced out of a small hole.

Colt .45

Established Member
Found the culprit after it started whining on the dyno.
it's leaking here.
d3607a4d.gif

Users who are viewing this thread