Why is my hood pushing against the cowl vent (black thing behind the hood)?

NeedaCobra

Master of the Obvious
Established Member
Hey,
Do you think my hood is off or something. Everything lines up except when I push the hood up, sometimes the edge of the hood catches the cowl vent and pushes it up/back: :bash:

NeedaCobra

Master of the Obvious
Established Member
Oh, my car is not normally this dirty. Spring was budding and it was raining constantly. It let up for a few hours so I could take some pics of my car. Don't worry, my car is not this dirty usually. Right now it is outside shining away thanks to McGuires (spelling?) car wash. :)

hillie16

Stand Silent in Flames
Established Member
Have you recently had the hood off for anything? Sounds like maybe an extra shim or too might be needed??:shrug:

NeedaCobra

Master of the Obvious
Established Member
The previous owner rebuilt the engine and painted the engine bay last year, and also the car was painted last year. My car has been doing this every since I bought it, I'm just now posting a ? about it. :shrug:

hillie16

Stand Silent in Flames
Established Member
Look near the hinges where the hood bolts onto them, there should be little thin metal wafer like things betweeen the hood and hinge where they bolt together. a few more of those on that side, any parts store junk yard or body shop should have them.

SL 1993 R

Established Member
in the picture, it looks like cowl cover is broken. There is also a screw that doesn't appear to be in all the way. the clearance problem may be in the cowl cover. you may want to pull the cover and adjust it closer to the windshield and make sure that it sits down all the way.. if you do this, don't forget there is a windshield washer fluid line in there also. (attached by a screw from the back side).

Vanride69

west bound and down
Established Member
Originally posted by SL 1993 R
in the picture, it looks like cowl cover is broken. There is also a screw that doesn't appear to be in all the way. the clearance problem may be in the cowl cover. you may want to pull the cover and adjust it closer to the windshield and make sure that it sits down all the way.. if you do this, don't forget there is a windshield washer fluid line in there also. (attached by a screw from the back side).

Agreed. that is what i was thinking when i saw the pic. check that before messing with the hood alignment. could save you some searching for "shims"

Users who are viewing this thread