Why is my car missing in 3rd gear?

torchenvy

I e-brake all FWD cars!
Established Member
My car seems to be either misfiring or have "dead spots" at 5500 RPM. The funny thing about this is that I only feel it in 3rd gear.

Does anyone know what could be causing this?

I was thinking about getting the a/f ratio checked, but I don't understand why this problem only occurs in 3rd gear and why it doesn't happen in 1st and 2nd. :shrug:

AllVenom

Established Member
Give us more info on what you have done to the car. It is probably tune related and/or fuel related issues.

torchenvy

I e-brake all FWD cars!
Established Member
I just bought the car off of a used car lot a little over a month ago. From what I can tell the only mods are; 2.5" off-road h-pipe, 2.5" Mac cat-back, and a Paul's High performance open element filter. I don't know how to tell if it's been chipped or not without taking it to the local dyno shop.

I was having trouble with code p2196; bank 1 sensor 1 stuck rich. The dealer replaced the O2 sensor, I haven't seen the check engine light come back on yet but I have a feeling it will because before I took the car into the dealer I swapped the 2 front O2 sensors and it gave me the same code.

torchenvy

I e-brake all FWD cars!
Established Member
Kysnake03 said:
Do you notice any belt dust, could be slipping. I would get it Dynoed !

I haven't seen any belt dust and it is the factory pulley. I think I am going to get a dyno pull done to check the a/f ratio.

sonicblucobra

Established Member
The A/F ratio needs to be checked, the same happened to me..We had JLT CAI, MAC Prochamber, with MAC Cat-back and it was starting to run dangerously close.. And that is just with a intake and exhaust. We had to get a tuner.

torchenvy

I e-brake all FWD cars!
Established Member
sonicblucobra said:
The A/F ratio needs to be checked, the same happened to me..We had JLT CAI, MAC Prochamber, with MAC Cat-back and it was starting to run dangerously close.. And that is just with a intake and exhaust. We had to get a tuner.

Wow I didn't realize that just an intake and exhaust would cause it to fuc* up. I didn't want to get a tune just yet because I still have until july until my warranty expires. Any suggestions????

Kysnake03

Established Member
You might want to pull a plug ,and see what plug and gap you have, if it was pullied before, they may not have changed everything back to stock. Also clean your intake tube and MAF for oil build-up. Electric cleaner!
Are you using a SCT or Predator hand held ?
The dyno should see whats going on .

torchenvy

I e-brake all FWD cars!
Established Member
Kysnake03 said:
You might want to pull a plug ,and see what plug and gap you have, if it was pullied before, they may not have changed everything back to stock. Also clean your intake tube and MAF for oil build-up. Electric cleaner!
Are you using a SCT or Predator hand held ?
The dyno should see whats going on .

It's the factory motorcraft plug with a .040 gap.

I will look into the intake and MAF.

I am not using any tune. As far as I know it is on the stock tune. I plan on getting it checked on the dyno soon.

Users who are viewing this thread