Why is GT350 straight line no faster than a boss 302

tek302

Established Member
Makes no sense. 4.3 0 to 60 and same 12.3 as a boss 302.

Why? It can't weigh that much more. Even then the horsepower should make up for it.

Its embarrassing that fords best is being bested by chevys base SS.

What gives?

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
A GT350 is faster than a BOSS in the 1/4 bud. Also, faster on a highway roll.

Not to mention how it utterly destroys it, at its intended purpose.

Last edited:

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Also faster falling out of an airplane.

tek302

Established Member
According to everything being posted its not. The camaro goes 0 to 60 in 4 flat and runs directly with it around a road course.

Nothing shows it being a faster car except around a road course.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
According to everything being posted its not. The camaro goes 0 to 60 in 4 flat and runs directly with it around a road course.

Nothing shows it being a faster car except around a road course.

I forgot Ford engineered the GT350 to be a 1/4 mile monster. :dw:

Remember that car in 2013 and 2014? I think it was a GT5hundy or something like that?

tek302

Established Member
The average joe that buys a 350 or a boss will rarely track it. Most are young guys who want to show off on the street. So yeah, quarter mile and straight line hp matter.

snakecharmer

Established Member
It's not a straight line car. Period. If that's your thing, the GT350 is absolutely not for you.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The average joe that buys a 350 or a boss will rarely track it. Most are young guys who want to show off on the street. So yeah, quarter mile and straight line hp matter.

Go buy a 2013/14 GT500.

Exact reason I didn't like my GT350.

q6543

Established Member
But to back up the o.p. .....I've personally picked on a few of these cars on woodward going back to last summer/fall with just a base 14gt and minimal mods.

and that definitely includes a R, sounded great cruisin around though!

tek302

Established Member
I would trade my boss for a trinity so fast. They still go for 50+. My boss is paid off...

I saw they trap a bit higher, but dont really get there faster. Gearing maybe?

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
12.3 is a respectable time for a stock vehicle, the new ss does it to! The differences will show when you start modding the gt-350! It breathes way better then a 13 boss!

bunk22

Established Member
Are we magazine racing? Always fun!!! From what I've read and seen, all else being equal, the Boss is not in the same league as the GT350. Do some good research, the info is out there. Besides, can usually tell when a thread has been started to cause trouble, internet trouble lol

burnin4

Car Junkie
Established Member
I was a little surprised that the 350 wasn't any faster then my Boss 302, but it's still early. I went 12.3's at 117mph on 1.9's bone stock, same et's as the 350 but 1-2mph slower. I know that neither car was meant for straight line racing but there is no better judging grounds for true whp then the 1320.

liter of cola

Established Member
gt350 is a way better car in every aspect, although its heavier, remember it also has an irs which aint as good for the hole. the s550 is a huge leap ahead. have you even driven one? 1/4 don't mean shit. the new stangs are simply more enjoyable as an all around car. if you want a drag s550, buy a gt and throw a whipple on it, or get a cobra jet. the ss doesn't come close to a gt350, only if your deaf dumb and blind.

its a corner carver/canyon racer/track car. I wouldn't go buy an ss expecting to keep up with 350's.

Last edited:

blownstang01

Established Member
gt350 is a way better car in every aspect, although its heavier, remember it also has an irs which aint as good for the hole. the s550 is a huge leap ahead. have you even driven one? 1/4 don't mean shit. the new stangs are simply more enjoyable as an all around car. if you want a drag s550, buy a gt and throw a whipple on it, or get a cobra jet. the ss doesn't come close to a gt350, only if your deaf dumb and blind.

its a corner carver/canyon racer/track car. I wouldn't go buy an ss expecting to keep up with 350's.

I agree with most of this ^^^. I bought my '15 GT as an all around car, and a track day here or there. I have not dragged it, and quite honestly don't care if I ever do. And this coming from a lifelong drag guy with a 4 second X275 car (mod motor BTW). Although many will race the s550 platform at the strip, it simply wasn't made for it.

saf1

Established Member
Ignorance is bliss I guess....

Neither car is a 1/4 platform. Having said that I'd expect the GT350 to lose every time because the engine isn't designed for a sprint. The engine has a very specific power band that is intended for distance. Take both cars to a track with long pulls and watch it rip the Boss to shreds. You want to add fuel to the fire bring along any other manufacture while you are at it. I think you will be surprised that in the hands of a half competent driver the 350 will always come out ahead...

Current 2015 platform is pretty solid and provides a lot of options for car enthusiast. The GT350/R is in another league...

Users who are viewing this thread