*~*Why is 01 Cobra rear bumper more than 03/04??*~*

Bl4ckedoutc0bra

Established Member
I'm in need of a new rear bumper and thought about going with either an 01 or 03/04 rear bumper.

I called Ford today to inquire on pricing and found that the 03/04 Cobra rear lists for $384 whereas the 01 Cobra rear lists for $400 and the 99 for $250 or so. I'm assuming the 99 is much cheaper because it was used on the GT's and 6'ers.

My question is... Why the heck is the 01 Cobra rear more than the 03/04? I'm confused.

Thanks for all of your help!

-Aaron

Bl4ckedoutc0bra

Established Member
01greycobra said:
I would say cuz they have less of them?

I was thinking that too but just can't see 01 being almost $20 more than the nicer 03/04 bumpers. I'm assuming cuz the 01 bumper was made for only 1 year it's more expensive.

On a side note, what do you think I should sell my 99 rear bumper for? A lady bumped me and left a tiny tiny nick in it and 2 small impressions from her license plate. It's black and was painted about 2 months ago. I was thinking $100

Last edited:

Bl4ckedoutc0bra

Established Member
01greycobra said:
I would say cuz they have less of them?

I was thinking that too but just can't see 01 being almost $20 more than the nicer 03/04 bumpers. I'm assuming cuz the 01 bumper was made for only 1 year it's more expensive.

On a side note, what do you think I should sell my 99 rear bumper for? A lady bumped me and left a tiny tiny nick in it and 2 small impressions from her license plate. It's black and was painted about 2 months ago. I was thinking $100

THEWOODKING

is the flat black piece on the bottom of the 03/04 bumper attatched or unattached??? if unattached maybe thats why???? just throwin ideas out there

warpd

Established Member
It has to be the fact that the 01 bumper was only made for one year and the fact that there were ALOT less 01s made than either 03s or 04s.

warcat

Established Member
warpd said:
It has to be the fact that the 01 bumper was only made for one year and the fact that there were ALOT less 01s made than either 03s or 04s.

Not to hijack, but...

I was just noticing that yesterday. My '99 Cobra only has 4,039 brothers and sisters (4,040 total production for the coupe). To me, that seems like such a tiny number. I mean, running a straight average, that only about 80 Cobras per state. When you add low production numbers with a great car (which is what I think we have), wouldn't our cars be collector cars in the future?

countrysquire

Search then Ask
Established Member
01 cobra bumper was one year production.
03 cobra bumper was two year production.
99 cobra bumper was, well, drive around your neighborhood and check out the 354984 v6 and gts.

Bl4ckedoutc0bra

Established Member
What do you all think a freshly painted 99 Cobra rear bumper with a small dent in the rear would go for? I'm getting a new bumper through insurance and have no place for this sucker..

Just curious.. :)

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
EVERY stock 99 cobra bumper is like EVERY stock new edge GT bumper...the V6's don't have the tailpipe cutouts, they are just like the 00R bumpers...

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
warcat said:
Not to hijack, but...

I was just noticing that yesterday. My '99 Cobra only has 4,039 brothers and sisters (4,040 total production for the coupe). To me, that seems like such a tiny number. I mean, running a straight average, that only about 80 Cobras per state. When you add low production numbers with a great car (which is what I think we have), wouldn't our cars be collector cars in the future?

You would think that but it's my understanding that "the fix" sorta hangs over the '99 Cobras like a stigma that will hurt their collectability value down the road. The 01 Cobra has sort of a stigma too about more or less being the stop-gap car that came before the all mighty Terminator.

Frankly I see very few bone stock 99/01 Cobras when I see them at all. Most have been modded in some way and this tends to hurt collectibility value too.

In the end it's just gonna be kind of a wait and see thing where we all land in the historical Mustang ethos. The collector car market is awfully finicky and I suppose that's to be expected given the amount of money involved. I've often wondered what the collector value of these cars might be someday myself . . . and then I add another mod!

SPXTrader

Certified Loon
Established Member
In all truth, there was no HP problem with the '99's. To get that extra RWHP, "the fix" was moving up to the '01 bumper...

Users who are viewing this thread