Why I don't miss my money pit (mustang).

WTF

law abiding citizen
Established Member
A few years back I got in to longboarding. I soon noticed I didn't feel the urge to upgrade my mustang anymore. After I lost the mustang, I just had no desire to replace it. :dw: My need for speed and adrenaline was being fulfilled by a totally different & far cheaper (understatement) hobby. I just thought I'd share an inspirational hd video to my fellow mustang/cobra owners. enjoy :coolman:

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFljAplE5wE"]YouTube - Welcome ABEC 11 Team Riders Kevin Reimer and James Kelly - 2011[/nomedia]

These riders aren't me btw...
unfortunately this hobby isn't liked by the po-lice either (can't win) but it does keep you in shape and the tickets are far cheaper. :p I still like to check in once in a while though here at svtperformance. Mainly for the GF thread. We still have the hottest girl friends out of other car forums at least. :-D

Last edited:

G2Mach1

Cameltosis
Established Member
Nice, but no need to trash talk your Mustang experience(s) in lieu of showing a cool video. I had 2 VWs and they were total money pits from hell.

MedicMan

Established Member
Cool Vid, Do you guys make those gloves with knee pucks from the sportbike suits?

WTF

law abiding citizen
Established Member
Nice, but no need to trash talk your Mustang experience(s) in lieu of showing a cool video. I had 2 VWs and they were total money pits from hell.

That's true. Not a hit on mustangs, I was actually just referring to modifying cars for bigger thrills as a money pit. The parts, the installation costs (if you can't do it all yourself), the unforeseen issues that arise, the cops (ref tickets, speeding tickets or worse: reckless/racing tickets) the rising cost of gas... I'm just amazed that even to this day, the adrenaline I get from downhill longboarding is just as strong as the first time I tired it. Where my mustang, it would only take a few weeks before I was bored of the modification I just paid through the nose for...

Cool Vid, Do you guys make those gloves with knee pucks from the sportbike suits?

You can buy gloves or make your own. Mechanics gloves with delrin or cutting board material works as slide pucks. Buying a used set of motorcycle leathers helps keep your skin on for the inevitable spills. Full face helmets are important too. :coolman:

Bullitt520

Established Member
Longboarding has gotten pretty huge around me. My friends and I started making our own boards and I'm working on a drop-through design for this summer. I can't justify spending hundreds of dollars on a board like a Dervish when one can be made for a quarter the price. I love it and its a great hobby as long as you have decent places to do it. Now you've got me wanting to go for a "shred sesh" as my friends from Vermont call it, but the New York roads would probably lead me right to the hospital about now. For those who haven't tried it, I second everything the OP has said and recommend trying it for sure. Would make a great gift for your children as well.

As far as longboarding being a replacement for working on and driving a Mustang.....keep dreaming :burnout:

Last edited:

chaoticdismay

dr. hobo
Established Member
I like these 2 vids:

this one because these guys are badass (long intro but worth it)
[youtube_browser]WOAJydWtEfo[/youtube_browser]

and this one because of the song/moves
[youtube_browser]9LMod730j-Q[/youtube_browser]

wyldechild54

Medusa
Established Member
I feel yah man! Being in college, longboarding is actually affordable. Too bad I live in Houston where there isnt a single hill. Im confined to garages.

ferfont1

Established Member
well i'll be happy in my mustang and not ending up under/over/into a car/truck :thumbsup:

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
how do the guys in blue never get speed wobbles? I have a board but havent been down any hills like that, i would love to learn to kick my board sideways like that. I guess you need some pretty hard wheels

05slvrgt

Real bits of panther.
Established Member
Looks pretty cool. And while I know nothing at all about this, when they slide against the wheels (similar to drifting I guess) it looks like an excellent way to fly face first into the blacktop at mach damit.

dro

Stock 5.0 w/ mods > *
Established Member
So what is harder? Skateboarding or longboarding? I tried my hand at skateboarding and never could do anything cool, so i gave it up. :shrug:

WTF

law abiding citizen
Established Member
how do the guys in blue never get speed wobbles? I have a board but haven’t been down any hills like that, i would love to learn to kick my board sideways like that. I guess you need some pretty hard wheels

Speed wobbles can be prevented by setup and tons and tons of practice. It's more of a confidence and strong ankles. The better rider you are, the twitchier board you can ride without succumbing to the dreaded wobbles. These wheels aren't that hard surprisingly - infact they are quite soft compared to shortboard standards. With enough speed, you can slide even the softest, gummiest wheels.

So what is harder? Skateboarding or longboarding? I tried my hand at skateboarding and never could do anything cool, so i gave it up. :shrug:

To do what? To just cruise around or to do tricks or to bomb hills? Just to cruise around, longboards are far easier and more forgiving to start with compared to their shortboard brethren’s. They are much more stable which is why they are used for bombing hills, like these videos here. But trying to do an olie style tricks is much more difficult on a longboard than shortboards - sometimes impossible depending on the kind of longboard. I'd give a longboard a try sometime, you may find you like it. I myself was never in to shortboard skateboards.

Bet you go through a lot of wheels tho.

Yah if you drift alot like these riders here. That's why they are sponsored by a longboard wheel manufacture Abec11, lol. :) Thankfully though the cost of these wheels aren't that bad... about 50 bucks for a set of 4 and depending on how you ride they can last anywhere from months to a couple years. Me on the other hand, I tend to go through shoes as I'm not as steezy as these riders here and do alot more "foot braking" as opposed to pre-drifting and sliding. Luckly Big5 sells skate shoes for 10-20 dollars. ;-)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread