Why does my car hiss?

Twisted2

Established Member
I've noticed that with each little bump in the road, I can hear what I believe to be my struts telling me, "Tsss." I know the ones on the drivers side do it, but can't really tell if the others do it. It sounds like if you were to press the Schrader valve in on your tire for a split second.

Similarly, when quickly changing directions with the steering wheel, I hear what sounds like the exact same sound at the instant that I do it. In other words, if I'm just sitting still, and nudge the wheel slightly left and then right, as if I can't make up my mind where I'm going, the P/S pump (I assume) reports, "Tsss," with each change of direction. Are either of these sounds normal, or do I need some new parts? Thanks.

EDIT: Actually, I just drove the car, and realized that the power steering noise (and maybe the "strut" noise) was not what I'd been thinking. Maybe it's because the weather has suddenly cooled off, but the sound has worsened to the point where it is clearly the steering system creaking/squeaking when I turn the wheel. Today, suddenly, it is making this noise for most of the steering wheel's travel in either direction. It sounds like a rusty door hinge might. Any idea what this is?

Last edited:

Twisted2

Established Member
Because its a cobra?

Sorry, had to do it.

No problem. It couldn't be avoided.

As an update, I've net-learned that, apparently, creaky steering racks are common in many years of Cobra. It doesn't seem to mean anything terrible--just some mounting bushings being torqued or some nonsense. Having said that, the left side of my rack has a certain dampness to it that I fail to appreciate (incidentally, that's also what she said...but I digress). Anyway, I may give it some attention...for good measure.

Last edited:

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
My car makes a little noise when turning the wheel as well. At one point it was making a horrendous creek which later found out my steering rack bushings were bad. For awhile it quit making noise but has since returned, just not as bad.

Twisted2

Established Member
Thanks, TB--my initials, incidentally. I guess the steering noise is nothing too troublesome. I'm still curious about the shock/strut "Tsss." I've noticed today that all four corners do it, and it doesn't take much of a bump for them to make the sound--mere cracks in the road will do it. Any thoughts on that? Should struts hiss over bumps?

Users who are viewing this thread