Why do my brakes still squeal!!!

Blown10thCobra

Established Member
So I did a brake job on my Cobra a little while back. First brake job the car has had since it was brand new, only had 30K on it, did it right after I bought it. Turned the stock rotors, and did it myself at my work so I know they were done right. Replaced the pads with some Hawk HPS pads, which I've used on my Supercharged Mini before and had no complaints. My brakes under normal light braking and when braking from backing up still squeal. Anyone have any thoughts??? Yes, I greased all the pins and moving parts of the calipers before putting things back together and cleaned all the calipers as well. It's about to drive me nuts!!!:??:

ABrown

Established Member
Mine are the same. I don't know what causes it, but it is a normal occurrence. Don't worry about it.

Blown10thCobra

Established Member
We did cross drilled and slotted rotors on the Mini when we did the brake job and I'm considering doing the same on the Cobra next time, I'm wondering if that would make any difference at all in the squeal? Probably not.

ABrown

Established Member
I couldn't tell you. I'm on the same setup you are right now. I don't see it making a difference.

Blown10thCobra

Established Member
You've got the HPS pads? Do yours dust up bad? Because we've got the HPS on our Mini with literally like no dust at all, but the ones on the Cobra seem to dust up bad.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Same thing happened to me. I installed Cobra front brakes with HPS pads on my GT and now they squeak like crazy. Greased everything up and can't get the noise to go away for anything.

Blown10thCobra

Established Member
I'm so tired of it now I'm willing to just scrap the money I spent on the HPS to get a pad that stops good but DOESNT squeal. Any suggestions????

01_OXFORD_SVT

10th Anni FTMFW
Established Member
My HPS pads on my 01 cobra squeekd with the stock solid rotors however, they did not make a single sound when I installed the CD/S rotors. Its just the price you pay for better stopping power... On the flip side, when they get up to temp they will stop making noise on the stock rotors.

01_OXFORD_SVT

10th Anni FTMFW
Established Member
The cross drilled and slotted rotors werent bad at all, EXCEPT, (1)the slots in the rotor will sound like your being chased by locusts until the edges wear down and (2)your rims are gonna dust up bad depending on your driving habits.

Blown10thCobra

Established Member
We're running CD/S rotors on our Mini Cooper S and I ride an R1, I'm used to the sound and have learned to love it even.

*edit* Mind if I ask where you got your rotors from, who made um?

80blue

Established Member
if the pads had those gay backing plate/shim things on them take them off,those make brakes squeak when they come loose. i did the brakes on my sebring not too long ago and about a week later the squeaked,i took the shims off and hasnt squeaked since.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
So I put on my new stock replacement Brembo rotors last night and bedded the pads with them. All the squeak I had is gone. Mine squeaked constantly when I wasn't on the brakes, and even louder when I hit the brakes. Now there is nothing. I guess even after turning the old rotors, they were still a tad warped.

I still have the Hawk HPS pads in there and they make no noise at all, so that shouldn't be the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread