Why do i want an MGW shifter?

dro

Stock 5.0 w/ mods > *
Established Member
Everyone keeps steering me to the MGW shifter saying ill like it better than the steeda or pro50. Ive always had triaxes on my old Gt and on my current cobra. I dont see why i would want to change because i love it. But people say the MGW is more smooth. Is it smooth like stock, or just doesnt seem to hang up and clank as it goes through the gears? I like the rough feel of my triax and thats waht i want to keep. Is the hurst like that? Because i am always game for saving some money but i kinda like the stock shifter nob, haha....

Postin on this forum about my 197 to get different reviews, sometimes some people can be onesided about a product on one forum and not on another. :beer:

EDIT: And the height of the shifter handle will be the determining factor too, i love a short shifter handle....

Oman_cobra

Established Member
im also interested in shifter all brands, im considering into getting one,
Larry H from Ozark American Performance, a Custom Motors Built adviced me to go with the MGW instead of steeda's Tri ax...
any views ?

SVTsupremecy

Established Member
Id go with MGW...brother just bought 1 for his mach1, he said its top notch stuff. Hes a mercedes tech too, so id say its a pretty reliable source. its expensive but, you get what you pay for.

SOHC46

Super Poster!
Established Member
Most people are definatley one-sided on this issue, especially those who have only tried one shifter. MGW does seem to have a cult-like following, and with some good reasons. I have had both the Hurst and the MGW. Here are my pro's and con's with each... I will start with Hurst first, as it was my first shifter.

HURST:

Pro's:
1. Great reduction in throw (my estimates-half of the stock throw).
2. Wonderful positive egagement in all gears. (When you are in gear you definately know it).
3. While in gear. Zero side to side "slop"
4. Badass looks, for sure.
5. Heritage/Brand Name.

Cons:
1. Rattle in shifter under low rpm acceleration. ( Very annoying!)
2. During high RPM shifting (above 5500), I was ALWAYS locked out of third and sometimes fifth.
3. I would also be locked out of most gears while down shifting, which would put me higher in the RPM range.
4. N-o-t-c-h-y. (It is a little worse than the Steeda Tri-ax that I used to have in my 03 GT).

MGW:

Pros:
1. Build quality. Best I have ever seen in a shifter!
2. Fully adjustable both in handle height, and linkage throw.
3. Great throw reduction (equal to the Hurst, although the handle heighth is much shorter).
4. Good positive engagement (equal to Hurst here as well).
5. Looks are killer ( I have the Classic Black shifter ball on my MGW).
6. Zero noise.
7. No "lock out" while shifting, during any RPM's through any of the gears.
8. Stock-like shifting effort. (Smooth).

Cons:
1. Minimal side to side "slop" while in gear. (I would say while in first that you can move the shifter 1/2 in. to both the left and the right).
2. Stock-like shifting effort. (Smooth).

You have said that you most want a shifter that feels most like the Tri-ax. Hurst would definately be the closest of these two. Just keep in mind that you WILL have gear "lock out" issues with the Hurst. However, most of the lock-out issues can be solved with new bushings for the tranny, and a transmission torque limter. The lock-out feature of the Hurst is not actually Hurst's fault. It is Fords for using a remote mounted shifter, instead of mounting the shifter directly on the trans like in past mustangs.

Hope this helps. And while I do miss my Hurst very much, I definately love my MGW.

Jason

Last edited:

dro

Stock 5.0 w/ mods > *
Established Member
Most people are definatley one-sided on this issue, especially those who have only tried one shifter. MGW does seem to have a cult-like following, and with some good reasons. I have had both the Hurst and the MGW. Here are my pro's and con's with each... I will start with Hurst first, as it was my first shifter.

HURST:

Pro's:
1. Great reduction in throw (my estimates-half of the stock throw).
2. Wonderful positive egagement in all gears. (When you are in gear you definately know it).
3. While in gear. Zero side to side "slop"
4. Badass looks, for sure.
5. Heritage/Brand Name.

Cons:
1. Rattle in shifter under low rpm acceleration. ( Very annoying!)
2. During high RPM shifting (above 5500), I was ALWAYS locked out of third and sometimes fifth.
3. I would also be locked out of most gears while down shifting, which would put me higher in the RPM range.
4. N-o-t-c-h-y. (It is a little worse than the Steeda Tri-ax that I used to have in my 03 GT).

MGW:

Pros:
1. Build quality. Best I have ever seen in a shifter!
2. Fully adjustable both in handle height, and linkage throw.
3. Great throw reduction (equal to the Hurst, although the handle heighth is much shorter).
4. Good positive engagement (equal to Hurst here as well).
5. Looks are killer ( I have the Classic Black shifter ball on my MGW).
6. Zero noise.
7. No "lock out" while shifting, during any RPM's through any of the gears.
8. Stock-like shifting effort. (Smooth).

Cons:
1. Minimal side to side "slop" while in gear. (I would say while in first that you can move the shifter 1/2 in. to both the left and the right).
2. Stock-like shifting effort. (Smooth).

You have said that you most want a shifter that feels most like the Tri-ax. Hurst would definately be the closest of these two. Just keep in mind that you WILL have gear "lock out" issues with the Hurst. However, most of the lock-out issues can be solved with new bushings for the tranny, and a transmission torque limter. The lock-out feature of the Hurst is not actually Hurst's fault. It is Fords for using a remote mounted shifter, instead of mounting the shifter directly on the trans like in past mustangs.

Hope this helps. And while I do miss my Hurst very much, I definately love my MGW.

Jason

Thanks for the write up, hearing about the lockout on the hurst makes me stear away from it. Seeing as how the MGW has no noise what so ever but a smooth shift i might be going with it, but i do like a notchy feel shifter so i might be considering a triax again... Uggghhh decisions...

but anywho, thanks a lot. :beer:

dro

Stock 5.0 w/ mods > *
Established Member
i prolly will as i wont be racing this car, thats what the cobra is for...

ive just never shifted one and if i were to that would seal the deal for me

dro

Stock 5.0 w/ mods > *
Established Member
Meh i just ordered an MGW, how long do they take to get here? i Ordered it monday, someone told me that they custom build it when they recieve an order is this true?

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
Meh i just ordered an MGW, how long do they take to get here? i Ordered it monday, someone told me that they custom build it when they recieve an order is this true?

no...they usually have the base in stock and whatever handle you choose. If they are out of a handle they will send you the race most likely (that's what they did for me) I ended up switching to the orange. I liked the feel better.

I've had a stock, steeda, and MGW....MGW takes it hands down. I hated my steeda. I would honestly rather have the stock one in there over the steeda. Spend the extra money and just buy the MGW. The second you feel it on another car, you'll go buy it anyway. Save your money and get the right one the first time.

Just my .02 :coolman:

dro

Stock 5.0 w/ mods > *
Established Member
no...they usually have the base in stock and whatever handle you choose. If they are out of a handle they will send you the race most likely (that's what they did for me) I ended up switching to the orange. I liked the feel better.

I've had a stock, steeda, and MGW....MGW takes it hands down. I hated my steeda. I would honestly rather have the stock one in there over the steeda. Spend the extra money and just buy the MGW. The second you feel it on another car, you'll go buy it anyway. Save your money and get the right one the first time.

Just my .02 :coolman:

ok so hopefully i get it friday :banana:

SVTcobra2

Established Member
im going to stay with my MGW. i had one in my 01 cobra and just got one for the 07 GT last week for $150 with the black classic shift ball. it was a little stiff for the first 2 days, but now it seems smooth and almost guides itself into the next gear. its not loud at all, but that probably has a lot to do with the dynomat.

TireBurner

LongBall poster
Established Member
Had a Tri-Ax on my 99 GT, I really liked it. Now I have an MGW on the Cobra and really like the feel of it. I wished I would have known about MGW when I was modding the 99. Both were great improvements over stock.

DMassey

No Habla Jibber Jabber
Established Member
We've messed with Pro 5.0, Hurst, B&M, and Steeda shifters.... but the MGW is just in a whole different zip code of it's own. No shifter even COMPARES to it. The build quality is superb, the adjustment is endless, it's OEM quiet, and it deals with the tranny-torque movement better then ANY other shifter.

Words cannot describe how superior the MGW is.

dro

Stock 5.0 w/ mods > *
Established Member
My shifter came today, my god they packed it like it was going to survive a nuclear blast. Got a good read on teh Georgia tribune as well from the newspaper they packed it with. :banana:

installing it tomorrow ill have my thoughts about it as i have owned a pro50 and a steeda shifter in my stangs... :coolman:

Stang925

Established Member
I just got my MGW shifter put in that shifter is awsome I think its one of the better ones if not the best shifter on the market. To me its difinately better than the steeda tri ax that I had before the tri ax is too notchy, a little rough. Also the MGW is a better shifter because not only does it feel like stock, but you can adjust how short you want your throw to be ranging from 15% to 50% than stock

Users who are viewing this thread