Why do I keep snapping belt tensioners!!??!

BooRail85

Banned
My stocker went about 105K and then snapped in half during a race a few months back. I replaced it with one from autozone, and it lasted a couple months including a couple track visits.. then, it kind of shredded itself. Replaced it last weekend, and now the replacement snapped in half!

What could be causing this? I am using all stock pullies, the oem size belt, and have inspected/checked all pullies to insure they are freely spinning.

I'm at a loss, because I don't know why this is happening.

PACIFICGREENSVT

Established Member
try going with all oem parts from a ford dealer it might be some extra cash.but in the long run it pays off. check all the pulleys 2 see if any are bent .if they are even a little off it can screw things up.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
PACIFICGREENSVT said:
try going with all oem parts from a ford dealer it might be some extra cash.but in the long run it pays off. check all the pulleys 2 see if any are bent .if they are even a little off it can screw things up.
+1
Something may be out of line.

BooRail85

Banned
Well, I double checked the alignment while free spinning and with the engine running and everything spins in harmony. No vibrations, no wobbles, etc. We looked it up through gates and they didnt show a part number. So, We called them, and they said the only one in the catalogue right now was for the SOHC. And according to them, even though they are physically the same, the tensioner is not strong enough to support the DOHC. They are coming out with a steel piece, but not until January. Guess ill just have to keep getting warranty on this one until then!

OCSnk

NowIESnk
Established Member
A few years back I picked an updated tensioner (TSB) kit and it includes a new steel tensioner, a new belt, and a small bolt for the tensioner. It was around $70 from a Ford dealer

I believe the 99 and up came with the steel tensioner, the stock one I had on the 96 was cast!!

Sorry don’t have the PN

Users who are viewing this thread