Why do I keep going through TOBs?

pacific4v

Established Member
Well a couple weeks ago my 3rd TOB started squealing, and starting yesterday I can feel a slight vibration/grinding feeling in my car. From what I can tell its the TOB. What I'm trying to figure out is why I keep going thru TOBs. For refernce I did a t56 swap last summer around july/august and have since been thru 3 bearings in about 15k miles or so. The first bearing was the one that came with my zoom clutch, the second was a cheap timkin I bought a autozone because I needed one fast and that was my only option(didn't really expect it to last), the one that's going out now is a Ford Racing one. I'm pretty confident I'm adjusting them correctly, I have a firewall adjuster and a clutch pedal quadrant. When I put them in they are quiet as a mouse and the clutch pedal feels great after they're adjusted. I'm begining to think something else may be causing them to wear out prematurely. Could the retaining sleeve or clutch fork be bent and cause this? Any ideas or suggestions guys?:beer:

DSG2NV03

MUST HAVE BOOST!!!
Established Member
Interesting. Well I would start by checking the clutch fingers to make sure they are even, those will cause the TOB to wobble, it killed mine also. I would also make sure you have a t56 clutch cable. You TOB should be against the PP at all times spinning. Mine has a T45 cable still on it and I can't tighten it up enough to get the TOB to be on the fingers at all time. Not much pressure, just touching to spin. Also, how does your TOB retainer look? Any way to take the cable cover off with the vehicle running to take a look at what is going on up there?

Alex

pacific4v

Established Member
It has a new t56 cable that I bought when I did the swap. I could take a look at it when its running and see whats going on. How would i know if the retainer is bent or something? I don't want to just waste money on parts til i get it right.

DSG2NV03

MUST HAVE BOOST!!!
Established Member
It has a new t56 cable that I bought when I did the swap. I could take a look at it when its running and see whats going on. How would i know if the retainer is bent or something? I don't want to just waste money on parts til i get it right.

Well only way to know if it is the TOB Retainer Sleeve is to pull the tranny and take a close look at the sleeve. Any divots or anything in the retainer will cause stress on the TOB to move in and out. I would also make sure to get one of the Ford Racing HD TOB.

96SVTDvl

Hustlin'
Established Member
OP, how could you tell it was your TOB? I'm trying to figure out if it is in fact my TOB that is bad. Does it whine when you're pushing on the clutch, but doesn't when you're not?

Users who are viewing this thread