Why different sizes for Cobras?

RAP66

Established Member
I'm currently shopping for tires for my 03 Cobra and noticed something strange. Why is Cobra listed twice; Cobra All, Cobra SVT All?? and why are they showing two different sizes; 245 & 275?:burn:

Curious because the guy at the tire shop was telling me I modified my car by changing thhe tires to 275 :bored:

Thanks

Rich

PhaidOut

Established Member
I know this is the vendor forum, but 245/45/17 are GT (and 99/01 Cobras) and 275/40/17 are Cobra in 03/04. I am not aware of any 245s on 03/04 Cobras. The wheels are 9" wide versus 8" on the GT (and older Cobras).

You can probably safely blame the lack of data management on the business side for the double listing. If someone lists it as Cobra and someone else as Cobra SVT, that's how it will come out on the site. Nobody is perfect and you would have to have some seriously detail oriented, seriously knowledgeable people checking data constantly to avoid these mix-ups and most companies don't (not just Discount for sure). It usually comes down to importing tons of data from their vendors (one lists "Cobra", another "Cobra SVT", another "SVT" and yet another "SVT Cobra"). So it mostly boils down to automation. I can list 20 places off the top of my head that have similar mix-ups. (BTW this is coming from a IT guy who manages data and runs into it all the time...)

That said, if the profile was different (45/40) then you would have technically speaking "modified" your car. But when we talk modding, that's laughable. But also remember not all tire shop guys are created equal. They don't know all cars and quite frankly get things wrong as often as they get them right in my experience. You need to be the educated consumer. He sounds rather clueless about our particular cars and that is understandable; but his comment makes me shake my head. I should start recanting actual mechanic screw ups I personally have run into - actually trained certified mechanics completely full of it.

Last edited:

Matt@DTD

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Thank you for the post Rap.

Like PhaidOut pointed out, the 03/04 Cobra comes from the factory with 275/40-17's. This can be confirmed by looking at the factory tire size listed on the door placard.

I'll pass this discrepancy along to our web team.

Users who are viewing this thread