Why did he do this? Long

olefafl

Established Member
This happened about 15 years ago. Just wondering. I know you guys were not there.

I got off the Int. State onto a State Rd. My wife is behind me all the way. We didn't pass a LEO or have one pass us. Not speeding, drunk, ect. After we got onto the St. RD. We had to stop for a semi to turn into a truck stop, when he was gone we started moving again. Didn't even get 20ft when a LEO that was behind the car behind my wife. (Semi-me-wife-car-LEO) turned on his lights. We all pull to the side of the road to get out of his way, but he pulled up behind me. My wife pulled over behind him and had her window down. She heard him run my plate before he got out. So he knows that the plate belongs on a 75 Chevy C10 Red/White. I have had this plate for about 5 years at this time, most of it on this truck. He walks up and asked if I knew why he pulled me over, I said "no". He then told me I had a car plate on my truck. Now, he ran the plate before he got out so he knows that it goes to this truck. He took all my info, ran it, and said he had never seen a personalized plate on a truck before. Now he must not have been looking very hard.

Why would a LEO run a plate, know it goes on the truck, then tell me it didn't? Also how did he see my plate that far back?

I also found out later that someone else got pulled over there and the first thing the LEO said was " Why did you get off here?" The guy lives about 1 mile from that exit. He was also driving a car the was reported stolen. At that time he ran a Saturn dealership and they had a car missing. They checked all the other dealerships under the same owner and didn't find it. So a report was made, the car was found at one of the dealers they checked later. He picked it up and was taking it back to his, be had not called the police about finding the car because it was so late when they found it.

Mydirtytruck

The GT is waking up
Established Member
The only thing i can think of is that he ran your tag wrong at first, then realized he made a mistake. Other than that i have no idea

olefafl

Established Member
My wife could hear him run my plate. It came back to my truck before he came up to me, so he knows its good and goes with a truck.

FNsweetS3

Crazy Gun Bunny!!!
Established Member
In MD we used to have M series plate which were for JUST TRUCKS. I saw one on a car one night and pulled them over. As I ran the plate it came back listed to a truck but it described what I had in front of me in year and color. I gave them the benefit of the doubt and approached the car got his info ran it.... came back normal ... during the stop I did some research and figured out that the MVA had made a mistake in issuing the tag to a car. there are things we look for... one is small stuff like a truck plate on a car...

You didn't get a ticket... so basically it showed that the officer was doing what he was supposed and investigating something he suspected was wrong.

As for your second thing..... again it falls under investagation.... in MD if you are in a stolen car you get a felony stop.... I have pulled a few dealership guys out of cars at gunpoint because the car came back as stolen. Boo on them for not reporting it retuned / found.

olefafl

Established Member
IN plates are
car 12A3456
truck 1234567x
I had and still have the personalized plate.
If he would have just said "I have never seen a personalized plate on a truck before" when he first walked up, then I would have said OK. :-D

But I still wonder how he "read" the plate from where he was.

On the stolen car thing I just think is funny that the LEO want to know why he got off there before anything else.

Users who are viewing this thread