why did Ford decide that convertibles didnt get the Track Pack?

huggytree

Established Member
i dont get why the TP was taken off the order sheet for convertibles???

maybe they wanted to keep the max price at $69,100????

they say its because 'it isnt needed, since no one buys a conv. for 1/4 mile racing'???

it helps maintain the cars performance when going all out for any length of time, so id love to have it........i dont get why it isnt up to the owner to decide if its needed or not?

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Because people serious about performance don't buy convertibles. Most convertibles are more about "look at me" than performance. Not to mention convertibles aren't even allowed in most serious racing organizations, if I'm not mistaken.

Last edited:

dotmpeg

Established Member
i dont get why the TP was taken off the order sheet for convertibles???

maybe they wanted to keep the max price at $69,100????

they say its because 'it isnt needed, since no one buys a conv. for 1/4 mile racing'???

it helps maintain the cars performance when going all out for any length of time, so id love to have it........i dont get why it isnt up to the owner to decide if its needed or not?

I thought the track pack was actually for a road course and not drag strip? I've heard people say a drag racer wouldn't benefit from it much.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

Correct. But it's not the same as the Track Package now. If you read below the option on those window stickers it comes with: tires, spoiler w/Gurney flap, 3.73 gears, tape stripe delete and the 19"/20" wheels.

It does not come with the external engine air-to-oil cooler, transmission cooler pump and differential cooler like the 2013/14 Track Pack includes.

Last edited:

WOT1320

Established Member
Good point. The stripes say the same thing to me every time I see them as well.

Really? I am not the biggest fan of the stripes, but what is a Shelby without them? It's a trademark. Just another Mustang without them in my book. Now dont get me wrong, I definately dont agree with every other V-6 in town having them either. My generation only saw them on the high end Shelby's until the last 10 years when it became the norm for low end cars to have them. Maybe I am showing my age, or maybe the youngins are showing theirs... but either way... it is inarguable that they are a trademark original to Shelby.

This fact alone, rules out the "look at me" stance from anyone past the age of reason.

No flame intended. Just an honest opinion from an old fart.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Really? I am not the biggest fan of the stripes, but what is a Shelby without them? It's a trademark. Just another Mustang without them in my book. Now dont get me wrong, I definately dont agree with every other V-6 in town having them either. My generation only saw them on the high end Shelby's until the last 10 years when it became the norm for low end cars to have them. Maybe I am showing my age, or maybe the youngins are showing theirs... but either way... it is inarguable that they are a trademark original to Shelby.

This fact alone, rules out the "look at me" stance from anyone past the age of reason.

I think GT500's should be the only Ford that has stripes.

It sets it apart. I hate seeing cars from a 1/4 mile away and thinking it's a GT500 until I get up close and see it's an older V6 with a 16 year old driving.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator

My old fart card came in the other day.

Shelby or not, the stripes have always been about LAM(!)

Stripe delete cars fly under the radar, unless you know what the snakes on the side mean or you are behind one. Striped cars, whether a 16 yr old placed them on his V6, a Camaro/Dodge with them, are all designed to do the same thing - attract attention. A convertible, even more so.

Probably why they don't place them on a Stealth fighter/bomber. Otherwise they'd be on there as most everyone knows how much faster anything that moves is with them.

Iceman5000

Speedfreak
Established Member
i think gt500's should be the only ford that has stripes.

It sets it apart. I hate seeing cars from a 1/4 mile away and thinking it's a gt500 until i get up close and see it's an older v6 with a 16 year old driving.

+1000

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
ford-gt-5.4-06.jpg

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
^^^ Are you arguing for or against stripes?

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I don't argue argue one way or the other - they are what they are. They catch the eye far more than a stripeless car does. The photo was merely in response to the statement that "I think GT500's should be the only Ford that has stripes".

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
theyre Le Mans stripes. a GT is a Le Mans car, a mustang is not lol.

but i agree with the thought that a gt500 should have the stripes. i personally dont like them without them. my car had the stripes removed and when i finally added them i liked the car soooo much more. it definitely catches waaay more attention with them then without. without the stripes only a few people recognized what it is and would check it out (while driving). now, i see tons of people staring over at it lol. so Tob is correct in that they definitely fly under the radar without them. some people prefer that, some dont. good thing we can all have it the way we want, with or without them :beer:

i also hate it when i see a V6 rolling through traffic from a far thinking it might be a shelby lol. my daughter thinks thats what makes it one. she says "look daddy, a shelby" lol. :bash: im sure plenty of clueless people/adults think the same thing as well. :bored: recently saw a V6 with the stripes added AND.......the snakes on the fenders :kaboom:

also agree that the track pack would be an odd option for a vert. we all know there are vert guys who will road race their cars but they are far and few between. if anything, ford should offer the verts with an optional auto trans. even with paddle shifters. but they want to keep the cars hardcore so that wont happen. that does give svt credibility at least. but still. it would be nice to just jump it and floor it. cruising around, in traffic, with the top down, no shifting involved. if my blown harley f150 was a manuel there's no way i would buy it.

Last edited:

Colleton

Established Member

That's the '11/'12 Performance Pack, don't know why it's listed as a track pack in the docs you referenced.

The '13/'14 Track Pack is comprised of the engine oil, transmission fluid and differential fluid coolers. They are not listed in the docs you linked, and they were not an option on the '11/'12 GT500.

Pointby

Established Member
At most of the HPDEs I do, convertibles are not allowed. One instructor told me the reason was that being upside down in a gravel trap would be less than fun.

Users who are viewing this thread