Why buy an x pipe with cats in California?

newcastle

I live in California. It sounds like ANY aftermarket X-pipe that I install is going to be illegal (thats fine, I don't mind putting the stock one back on five years from now to pass the smog check). Is there any reason I should buy an X-pipe with cats? How much louder will it be? (no cats vs. cats) Do you know of anyone getting busted for having no cats? If you had cats, but they are not California legal, could that save your butt? (I'm wondering if that is any better than no cats at all) thanks

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
We'll if you go with the offroad pipe, I'd try and get some fake "cat shells" welded on the pipe.

Trick is, if you get pulled over for being too loud or any other reason that a cop might check under your car, if he looks underneath and sees no cats you get a hefty fine in California.

At least with the fake cats it will pass a quick visual inspection by any law enforcement, which might save you, then you'd just have to swap with the stocker for smog checks.

Also, a buddy of mine took 97GT in for service at a local Ford dealership for some work with an off-road H pipe, and they would not release it back to him until he brought the stock catted pipe back in for them to swap it over.

Somethin to think about...

Snakebitten

5150 SVT Poster
Established Member
Originally posted by 03 DSG Snake
a cop might check under your car, if he looks underneath and sees no cats you get a hefty fine in California
Thanks 03 DSG, I'm a cop in So.Cal. I'll have to check for those "fake cats." Although I'm not sure how to.:shrug:

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by Snakebitten
Thanks 03 DSG, I'm a cop in So.Cal. I'll have to check for those "fake cats." Although I'm not sure how to.:shrug:
Hey that's not cool!:( These cars still do great on emissions w/out cats, not to mention it's not legal to run the magnaflow catted x-pipe in CA either.

Last edited:

randy

Established Member
Originally posted by 03DOHC
Hey that's not cool!:( These cars still do great on emissions w/out cats, not to mention it's not legal to run the magnaflow catted x-pipe in CA either.
I would love to see 3 gas results from a modded and unmodded car to support your argument that our cars run clean WITHOUT cats. The point of running cats is that it does clean the air and not with a high horsepower penalty. My car made 600 plus at the wheels with cats. If you need more than 600, you should buy a trailer and build a racecar. While it is true that we run pig rich at WOT,(as evident from the carbon consistently on our bumpers)keep in mind that 90% of our driving is done when emissions equipment does the most good(cruising). I expect the "most of MY time is spent at WOT" wisecracks to soon follow, but maybe we could just be logical about this. Maybe some people like their car obnoxiously loud,(which IMO is what you get without cats) but I see no other point in running without them. As for it being illegal to run aftermarket cats, would you rather explain to a police officer why you have no cats at all?

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Snakebitten, where in So Cal are you? Maybe we can get together and I can buy you a beer? :D

I've had my car checked for cats by CHP before, as have some friends. LAPD loves to look for those during street racing busts as well.

Only sure fire way I know is to "smell" it from the back, if you've been around, you can tell catted exhaust from non-catted. Not that I'm giving you any ideas, of course..

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Correction, my 98GT was checked for cats by a CHP officer who was behind me on a bike on an on ramp. Wanted to know why my "exhaust note was so loud", and I said "well it has a supercharger on it, so it pushes more air through the engine" (meanwhilst I'm mentally smiling thinking ok, ask me to pop the hood, Ive got a pretty CARB # on my Procharger :thumbsup:). It had a Bassani catted X with 2 chamber Flows at the time.

No trouble with the 03 however, stock exhaust :xpl:

B-O-B'03

Established Member
I was under the impression that the magnaflow catted x-pipe was 50 state legal :shrug:

Should not be a problem for emissions in the Dallas area, they just plug in to the OBD-II port and if the MIL is not lit and they can turn the bulb on and off, you pass :burnout:

-Brian

newcastle

It isn't so much that I don't want the cats on (don't need the extra noise)... it is more a question of why can't it be ok for a car owner to put on an x-pipe with DIFFERENT cats. I find the smog laws frustrating - if a vehicle passes the sniffer - it should be good enough for law makers imho. BTW, cats don't "clean" the exhaust, they burn unused hydrocarbons leaving the engine. No other emissions are lowered. Don't get me wrong, I believe this is a good thing, I just don't think that I should have to use the stock cats only. Thanks everyone for the posts. I appreciate the input.

randy

Established Member
Originally posted by newcastle
BTW, cats don't "clean" the exhaust, they burn unused hydrocarbons leaving the engine. No other emissions are lowered. Don't get me wrong, I believe this is a good thing, I just don't think that I should have to use the stock cats only.
You are correct about the job that cats perform. However, considering the byproduct of complete combustion is H20, any HC they can burn does help considerably to "clean" the exhaust. I surmise that cats on our car burn at least 90 percent of unburned HC that leaves under normal conditions(I didn't say WOT). The reason lawmakers make it illegal to switch working emissions part for aftermarket ones resides in the fact that manufacturers have gotten very good at reducing emissions(anyone remember the 70's and 80's emission equipment? ....i.e.nightmare) and they don't want anyone messing with what works. I would be the first to agree that as long as it passes the stringent laws in California it should be allowed, but that is not the law here. When I first installed the Bassani, I did so without the cats to hear what it would sound like. I may be getting old, but how anyone would want to drive around without being able to think is beyond me. I have never been pulled over for my exhaust note, but for anyone who drives around without cats it is just a matter of time.

Bosko

Established Member
Im pretty sure that if your are running NO cats you can get one of thoes pretty tickets for a $1,000 fine. If you got an x-pipe with cats it maynot be CARB Legal but there are cats on it....

newcastle

Originally posted by Bosko
Im pretty sure that if your are running NO cats you can get one of thoes pretty tickets for a $1,000 fine. If you got an x-pipe with cats it maynot be CARB Legal but there are cats on it....

I am going to go with the x - pipe with cats. Don't want the check engine light issue. Don't want the pipes to be THAT loud. And don't want the 1000 dollar ticket. Thanks for the replies.

jhwalker

Dead Poster Walking
Established Member
Originally posted by Masked Bandito
not just that, but I , personally thought about this, #1 I figured id cut down on the needless pollution and sacrifice something for the earth (dont flame me :rolling: ) second, When I did run it without cats (one week) it seemed to scavange alot and I noticed a "flat spot" in my torque curve,,,, I know people will argue that they have numbers to prove me wrong, I AGREE, just saying it felt that way and I did not like it one bit.. :beer:

count me in as a fellow treehugger :lol:
There are too many other ways to make it fast without removing the cats.

JW

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
Originally posted by Masked Bandito
without cats (one week) it seemed to scavange alot and I noticed a "flat spot" in my torque curve,,,, I know people will argue that they have numbers to prove me wrong, I AGREE, just saying it felt that way and I did not like it one bit.. :beer:

I'll agree with you on that. Your cats do something else that many forget, provide backpressure. Too little backpressure = a healthy loss of TQ. ;-)

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
M. Bandito

:dw: The only time I ever had something hanging out in the tailpipe that wasn't supposed to be there was when I grenaded my cat's on my '94 during a 1/4 run. Sounds to me though that the muffler for that side has thrown in the towell. Cat guts are a ceramic honeycomb material. What you've found is fiberglass sound deadening material from the muffler.

Users who are viewing this thread