Why atf in manual transmission?

G's Shelby

Established Member
I'm switching over to amsoil for the whole car I was just wondering why everybody use atf instead of the manual fluid they offer?

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
It's a little thinner and helps in the cold. I believe GM specs synchromesh in their Tremecs buuuut my new T56 Magnum (essentially TR6060) had a big Dexron sticker on it so that's what I used. Running Amsoil Sig Multi now after break in, stuff is great.

Edit:
Straight from Tremec
Q: Why use automatic transmission fluid in a manual gearbox?
A: Automatic transmission fluids provide the necessary protection and lubrication, while still allowing the synchronizer to function at its best.

So pretty much synchros want friction, bearing don't, ATF is the best combo is what I get out of that. Older manuals didn't have the same kind of carbon synchros and what not. Amsoil ATF Try this, using it on recommendation of other guys on here, liking it a lot. Been through a wide range of temperature lately, fun runs, and weeks worth of hour long trips in bumper to bumper traffic, seems greats.

Last edited:

Snoopy49

Established Member
It's a little thinner and helps in the cold. I believe GM specs synchromesh in their Tremecs buuuut my new T56 Magnum (essentially TR6060) had a big Dexron sticker on it so that's what I used. Running Amsoil Sig Multi now after break in, stuff is great.

Picture of trans in my 2013 GT500.

Transmission Label.jpg

Imatk

Established Member
FWIW I just changed my fluid to the Royal Purple Synchromax... it is better in my transmission than the Amsoil was.

ShiftyThePirate

Established Member
FWIW I just changed my fluid to the Royal Purple Synchromax... it is better in my transmission than the Amsoil was.

I always loved RP but the break-down analysis I've seen scared me away from it. Always used it in my FJ, and after 5k it hardly looked used, the gear oil though, well....I put that in my Challengers rear-end and after 700 miles it went "BOOM" RP I know can't get the testing Mobile 1 and the rest can afford, but, RP really scares me. Amsoil did MAKE the first synethic oil, so they know the game. When my Shelby hit 20k I switched to Amsoil, love it, only thing left to improve is the junky shifter they give us, not a fan of notchyness, MGW will be my next mod. :pop:

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Trying to find the article, there was an issue with one of the RP fluids and the synchros, I want to say it was the ATF.

I believe Mobil 1 is the only Synthetic that has been specifically approved by Tremec for the 6060/Magnum. But Amsoil and Redline have a fair amount of use without issue.

Yup Snoopy, that's the same sticker lol. Funny Ford specs one fluid and GM another in essentially the same box.

KRS

Established Member
I called the Tremec Tech Support prior to changing my transmission fluid. The Tech recommended Mobil 1 and said that it was considered an upgrade over the factory fill.

Kevin P

Established Member
Mustang manual transmissions have been using ATF since AT LEAST the T-5s back in the 80s.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm not completely certain, but once a gearbox got a 5th gear, it was designed around ATF instead of gear oil. Both overdrive and reduced friction to meet CAFE requirements are likely one of the reasons.

Last edited:

1st usa car

Established Member
I'll probably use some Mobil-1 because its everywhere. I have been using Mobil-1 oil for 2 decades and always had confidence in their stuff.

How much ATF is needed and how do we change it? I have never changed my ATF before...

Imatk

Established Member
I'll probably use some Mobil-1 because its everywhere. I have been using Mobil-1 oil for 2 decades and always had confidence in their stuff.

How much ATF is needed and how do we change it? I have never changed my ATF before...

It's about 4 quarts (a little less but you'll need 4 quarts)

To change it is almost like changing your oil, except you'll want jack stands so that your car is level.

There are two "plugs" which can be removed with a 1/2" rachet.

The one on the passenger side is the drain and the one on the driver's side is the fill. It's actually labeled on the transmission itself.

You'll need some blue loctite for the threads as well, and a hand pump to pump the fluid into the transmission.

You basically pump until the fluid starts to leak out of the fill hole (around 3.7quarts)

As for the RP... I had it in my other car for over two years and it was fine so I don't know about tests and whatnot.

I do know that my car is easier to shift now and the gear noise is lessened so take that for what you will.

I'm sure Mobil 1 is a great choice too... I went with RP because I had put it in my other car and it worked.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Mustang manual transmissions have been using ATF since AT LEAST the T-5s back in the 80s.

The furthest back I can remember for ATF in a manual trans. was the introduction of the first optional 5 speed manual in a Chevrolet Vega, 1976 was the year, everyone was scratching their heads, ATF in a manual trans.?????? Before that it was the regular gear oil in the manual transmissions.......

I would say that the clearances and bearings are specifically designed for ATF and the use of non-ATF spec. fluid will eventually ruin the transmission, probably sooner than later.

R

Last edited:

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
+1 for RP Sychromax. Ive had the factory fill, Amsoil signature ATF and RP. Of the 3, the RP is the ONLY fluid that Ive used and been able to shift properly in a drag race. The other two it was a lockout, grind session even WITH a rebuilt trans and an MGW Gen 2.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Ford requires thread sealer on the two plugs. Don't forget that. Loctite Blue meets this spec, IIRC.

Users who are viewing this thread