Why are the wheels wobbling side to side?

luv2hiss

Transplanted again...
Established Member
I installed new 10.5" FR500's with 315/35/17 Nitto 555r's. I installed the rounded low profile IRS bolt before the spacers were put on. The spacers are needed to get the tires clear my exhaust. I installed 3" Moroso studs before I put the spacers on too. The spacers are hubcentric from LFP. First attempt at getting the wheels on with the spacers found that the long lug nuts that came with the spacers were not deep enough to accomodate the longer studs. Tried the traditional open lug nuts, but there is no sleeve to recess down into the spacer opening, so the studs were shortened to accomodate the long lug nuts that have the 1/4" sleeve. The rim sits tight to the spacer/hub with all the lugs tightened down, but when the car is driven the wheels walk side to side??? Makes no sense...

Do the 1/4" sleeves at the end of the long lug nuts need to be seated into each stud opening on the spacer? Has anyone else had this problem? At first I thought the vibration might have been a balance issue (even though the wheels were balanced when the tires were put on), however a friend following behind me saw the wheels actually wobbling side to side. :fm:

Juruense

Banned
Just so you know the car is not safe to drive as it is... Sorry I do not know the answer to the problem but do not drive it!

black 10th vert

Established Member
Carol, if you are running the longer studs, you don't need the extended lugnuts. I just went through this exercise on my car. I used 3/8" hubcentric spacers, M bolts, and 3" ARP studs, which I shortened to 2 1/2" before I installed them. If you need any help with it, call me, or pm.

Brian

luv2hiss

Transplanted again...
Established Member
Now I know why...

Found the culprit of my wobbly rear wheels.

Put the left wheel on with open lugs, tightened down and the wheel still rocked side to side & up and down. Upon closer inspection, the wobble was coming from the axle. Sure enough, go to take off the axle retaining nut and it was only hand tightened on. That should be on with 240 ft lbs of torque. :bash:

Snugged it up and of course the wobble almost disappears but not quite. Given that there has been a howl in the rear of the car that started at the end of last year, and has progressively been worsening, I was gonna blame it on the gears even though they were just replaced 2 years ago. Now, I know that howl was the wheel bearings.

I wish something would just go right with this car !!! :fm:

Users who are viewing this thread