Why are my springs different lengths?

skeevay

Established Member
I have an 03 Cobra Vert that was bone stock top to bottom when I bought it. I have no reason to believe that the suspension has ever been touched. I changed out the springs the other night to some Vogtland lowering springs. I did one side at a time so I didnt notice the difference in the stock rear spring lengths until I was done swapping. The factory rear springs have about a half coil more on one side than the other (See pictures). The fronts are identical to each other. Before changing them out, the car seemed to sit level. Maybe this is not uncommon, but seems odd to me.
After this swap I have a few questions for those who have done it. I didnt pay attention to which way the rear springs were originally "clocked" because it appears the isolators are indented enough to allow the springs to sit flat both top and bottom. Additionally there are no grooves to fit the spring ends in anyway. Although I did put in both new springs to match each other, I cant say they are sitting exactly as the stock ones were. The problem being is that the rear is sitting pretty high. The Vogtland advertises a 1.6" drop front and back. The front looks good, but the back is too high. (see pics.) Any thoughts??!!

miscpics083xd1.jpg

miscpics084mi3.jpg

Front:
cobrapics00167sb1.jpg

Rear:
cobrapics00166sg0.jpg

Last edited:

FlaSeaDude

Building a Perfect Beast
Established Member
Actually there is an indentation in the rear lower control arm where the bottom of the rear springs is supposed to rest. Look at the location depicted in this picture:

2300506Slide1.JPG

I hope this helps...

Users who are viewing this thread