Why are alot of guys installing the newer Mustang motors in the Fox Body Mustangs?

peterlocal22

Established Member
Hi Everyone,

I've been searching but cant find the answer I'm looking for. I'm interested in learning more about installing the newer motors into the Fox Body Mustang. What are the reasons?
I would imagine due to the light weight of the Fox Body and the newer technology of the motor would be great but what are the real facts?
Anyone know?
I would love to hear from both sides. Anyone out there think your better of sticking with the 302 platform which the Fox Body was built around?

Thanks
Peter

Screamin363

Established Member
Because the push rid tech cannot keep up with the coyote tech. It's cheaper to build a 1200 rwhp coyote than a 1000 rwhp pushrod motor. Besides the coyote motor can tame much more abuse. The pushrod 302 block crack/breaks around the 600 rwhp level. A stock coyote block can go well into the 800-900rwhp range.

Besides we all have seen foxs with standard pushrod v8's~~yawn~~the new tech is ridiculous, a coyote in a light fox can run 10's NA and that is completely factory stock coyote.

DarkMach1

Established Member
I can understand the coyote, terminator and gt500 motor. The ones I dont get is the NA 2v, 3v and 4v. Unless your motor is blown or dont have one and someone gives you a great deal on one of those newer NA platforms.

flS/R

Established Member
new mustang engines put out almost twice as much hp as the fox body cars did. Even the six cylinder puts out more power than the 302 used in the fox. If I had the patience to learn all the electronics of it, I would put one of these sixes into a 60's mustang

TaraFirma

Established Member
Because the push rid tech cannot keep up with the coyote tech. It's cheaper to build a 1200 rwhp coyote than a 1000 rwhp pushrod motor. Besides the coyote motor can tame much more abuse. The pushrod 302 block crack/breaks around the 600 rwhp level. A stock coyote block can go well into the 800-900rwhp range.

Besides we all have seen foxs with standard pushrod v8's~~yawn~~the new tech is ridiculous, a coyote in a light fox can run 10's NA and that is completely factory stock coyote.

Everything he just said.
AND, because it's cool as ****!!

1bad04cobra

Established Member
Building a stroked 347 out of a brand new fully prepped R302 block topped off with a Ti trim . I think the newer motors are awesome but i got a deal on the block which has also been discontinued for years. Btw I wont be running from anyone when its done. Ha

Last edited:

wheelhopper

Established Member
Initially I think the reason would be to be one of the first and to have something different. I doubt it is cheaper. By time you get the motor, the wiring harness and the labor involved to get it right it with all of the gauges working it would be cheaper to stick with a pushrod motor. If you have the time and cash what the heck.

I can tell you a reason for using some of the other motors. I run road courses in a class where a stock 3V motors power would fall perfectly into the HP/WT limits. A stock factory motor is dead nuts reliable. so getting 300hp this way compared to building the stock 225hp motor may make sense. The 2v is simply cheap and plentiful at the junkyards. The 4V has good potential with adding a blower or turbo. Also these have been around awhile and are cheaper compared to a Terminator, GT500, or Coyote motor.

For me, I would build a 427 stroker if I was going for ultimate horsepower for ease of the project. As far as making 1000+rwhp, who needs it in a street car? Nobody can put that power down on the street.

CW1343

Established Member
For me, it would be a mixture of performance, reliability, and economy. The Coyote already produces more power stock, and will hold more reliably, and still average better mpg's. I planned on performing this swap on my '93 and it would be used for Street/DD/Road Course type driving. That being said, a semi stock Coyote would be perfect given the light weight of the Fox platform. The performance gain would be night and day, while maintaining all other factors.

Mnstr50

Established Member
The coyote motor is a gem! I loved my 12' GT and how responsive the engine is to simple upgrades/ Bolt-ons. With that said, the conversion into a fox would easily run $10k, and that is just the crate engine, transmission, harness, k-member, headers, mid-pipe, drive shaft, and misc. items. It's also relatively large (external dimensions). It would also shift the center of gravity up a bit (nature of an overhead cam motor).

Push rod blocks can make "just as much power", but will require an aftermarket block if you want to get serious with the power potential. The issue with the old ford small blocks isn't just the block casting, but the fact that it's a 2-bolt main block (among other things). The coyote is a 6-bolt block. These structural limitations have been overcome with the LS-x engines (6-bolt mains). So an LS-x swap would be just as impressive; compact, ridiculous aftermarket support, huge power potential, etc.

Fox body's are just nostalgic at this point. Traditional small block, with a tried and true combo will result in an 11 or 10-second ride, how much faster do you need to go?

Hulk

Established Member
I am neither for nor against it. The newer engines are "better," and I guess that would fall into the category of "restomod." Certainly the superior performance and efficiency of the newer powerplants cannot be denied.

For my own car, the Fox Bodies are becoming rare enough that I would rather keep the stock 5.0 in there unless something happened to it. If it needs to be replaced, I happen to have a roller 351W in the garage that I wouldn't want to go to waste.

Really, it's just a matter of your own preference. Decide what you want out of your car, and pick the appropriate engine.

tunedin302

Runnin' with the devil
Established Member
For me, because the new mod motors don't require a lot of mods to get high HP = near OEM reliability. Also, these motors are ridiculously smooth compared to the pushrods. My car drives smooth as a Cadillac when just cruising around.

truefiveo

Established Member
Who the hell wants smooth refined power???

Theres a ton of other cars I would consider for all that before a Foxbody.

The reason I drive a Foxbody is for its raw brute pushrod power, one of the last Muscle cars built with these oldschool characteristics.

tunedin302

Runnin' with the devil
Established Member
Who the hell wants smooth refined power???

Theres a ton of other cars I would consider for all that before a Foxbody.

The reason I drive a Foxbody is for its raw brute pushrod power, one of the last Muscle cars built with these oldschool characteristics.

Case in point - people want different things. Some want pushrod and others smooth refined modern technology. I want both so I have two cars! Really just personal preference.

Chris.94GT

Established Member
I have had my '93 LX since around 2000 as my first car. Started out life as a regular 'ol 4 cylinder car. Threw an SVO engine at it for a while and it was fun. Also had a '96 Cobra for several years that I was involved in a wreck in and the car was totalled. With all the money I had in it within the last few years I bought it back from the insurance company. Been contemplating for a while about dropping an LSx into the fox, and suddenly I had a complete drivetrain from my Cobra. So I am currently working on swapping everything from the Cobra into the LX.

Users who are viewing this thread