Why 5.0's owners aren't doing Long tube headers mod?

ViciousJay

Established Member
More peak power on a different dyno, right? Without a doubt any car that has longtubes makes more power through the curve. They change they way your engine runs by making it more efficient, so dont for a second think they are not worth it because your car with headers would run faster down the track than without them. They also support all of the other modifications you do to your engine (intake, heads, cams ex cetera).

I have a full stainless works exhaust and just like all my other cars I put headers on, my 2011 liked them just as much! :burnout:

yes, 6 pulls all done back to back, no cool down!

ViciousJay

Established Member
More peak power on a different dyno, right? Without a doubt any car that has longtubes makes more power through the curve. They change they way your engine runs by making it more efficient, so dont for a second think they are not worth it because your car with headers would run faster down the track than without them. They also support all of the other modifications you do to your engine (intake, heads, cams ex cetera).

I have a full stainless works exhaust and just like all my other cars I put headers on, my 2011 liked them just as much! :burnout:

Ive seen a lot more midpipe cars have better curves then LT guys it seems. Unless your F/I its useless

Melvo

Trying to be fast
Established Member
From my understanding they aren't very beneficial to us bc out cars come with stock shorties. Other cars such as LS based engines come with manifolds

Mr. Phace

Established Member
I have a set of Stainless Words and they have been sitting in my room for weeks because install is a PITA.

Bowtie-X

Oh No.. not a NOOB again.
Established Member
I seen a install video for LT and I don't think is something I will be doing. Now if it was as easy as my 11 camaro than it would of been on top of my list in a hurry.

SILV03MustangGT

Han Brolo CDR 5.Broliance
Established Member
I seen a install video for LT and I don't think is something I will be doing. Now if it was as easy as my 11 camaro than it would of been on top of my list in a hurry.

i did mine on 4 six ton jackstands on the floor in my garage. It really was not hard at all. A little intimidating at first but it was super easy.

vfast

Established Member
Me I would prefer an NX adjustable kit. 2hours of work and on demand horsepower

slamdcoop0428

Established Member
i did mine on 4 six ton jackstands on the floor in my garage. It really was not hard at all. A little intimidating at first but it was super easy.

Same here! But I lowered the back of my K member down and holy hell was it easy! Took me 6hrs by myself and saved a shit ton of money then paying some shop to do it.

SILV03MustangGT

Established Member
Is dropping the K member easier than lifting the engine?

they say it helps with some clearance to get the headers in. I didnt really have to much trouble. to get the pass side in i pushed the motor slightly towards the drivers side while my buddy helped feed it in. the second time i pushed and got it myself. I had a fitment issue and SW made me a brand new set of headers so I had to take them off and swap them out. Great customer service from those guys!

charba951

BOOSTTD
Established Member
they say it helps with some clearance to get the headers in. I didnt really have to much trouble. to get the pass side in i pushed the motor slightly towards the drivers side while my buddy helped feed it in. the second time i pushed and got it myself. I had a fitment issue and SW made me a brand new set of headers so I had to take them off and swap them out. Great customer service from those guys!

Good to know. Our auto shop on base has lifts, so I won't have to use jack stands luckily. Any special tools you can recommend besides the standard regulars?

SILV03MustangGT

Established Member
Good to know. Our auto shop on base has lifts, so I won't have to use jack stands luckily. Any special tools you can recommend besides the standard regulars?

15mm gear wrench was a life saver for tightening the header bolts. I reused the stock studs and nuts. havent had a single issue with with them coming loose or leaking.

slamdcoop0428

Established Member
Is dropping the K member easier than lifting the engine?

Yes it is. I lifted the motor off the mounts then I dropped the back of the k member down to ground then I lowered the motor with the jack down past the frame rails and from the wheel well all the headers nuts were directly in line with my eyes. I used an electric snap on gun to take off the all the nuts. I have stainless works also and re used all the stock studs and nuts and stock gaskets and haven't had one issue yet. Only tough part I had was putting in the passenger side header. I couldn't get it up past the studs so I took out the back 4 studs slid the header up and hung it on the first 4 studs then just threaded the back studs back in and put all the nuts back on and lifted k member back up into position. Also before I dropped the k member I traced every part I could get a marker on so when I put it back up I was basically back to where it was tightened down at the factory.

slamdcoop0428

Established Member
Think you for that post, now i wont even mess with LT's and just keep my O/R X pipe.

Did you read the first sentence of that thread? It says different days and 10 degrees hotter and more humid! That's going to have some serious affects on your numbers.

Users who are viewing this thread