Who's running a J&S vampire safeguard?

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Anyone on e85 still running one as an additional safety measure? Is it a clean install? Also any vendor's sell it?

I'm basically looking for some feedback and curious why there isn't a lot of people using them?

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using the svtperformance.com mobile app

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
I’ve always wondered if it’s different than the lean protection module that Malcom use to make.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Anyone on e85 still running one as an additional safety measure? Is it a clean install? Also any vendor's sell it?

I'm basically looking for some feedback and curious why there isn't a lot of people using them?

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using the svtperformance.com mobile app

I dont think it's as much of a need on e85, not much worry of knock. I got mine from Malcom, not a bad deal. Still sitting in the box a year later, it's a bitch to find a suitable mounting spot for the sensor if you're running a Teksid block.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
I’ve always wondered if it’s different than the lean protection module that Malcom use to make.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yes, one watches AFR the other listens for knock and retards timing like a modern ECU. It does each cylinder individually though. Great concept at least.

onefastcar

Established Member
I dont think it's as much of a need on e85, not much worry of knock. I got mine from Malcom, not a bad deal. Still sitting in the box a year later, it's a bitch to find a suitable mounting spot for the sensor if you're running a Teksid block.
Would you be interested in selling the lean protection module to me have cash ready

termcobra281

Established Member
Onefastcar I have one i will sale you, bought it a person on Facebook and decided not to use it, PM me if interested

KEVINS

Established Member
I have the Lean Protection Dual WB system, the Vampire and I run E85/87oct.
Vampire may not be as critical on E85 since detonation is minimal (but it can still happen) but the Lean Protection is still VERY important, IMO. I think the two systems compliment each other perfectly.

ks

Last edited:

Quick Strike

Established Member
The quality of 93 and E85 can vary from pump to pump. Without a s knock retard system, you depend on the fuel companies quality control to protect your engine every time you fill up. Rebuilding my engine from knock damage was expensive and I did not want to leave the possibility of knock against my investment a second time. It was a no brainer to me.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I swear I recall reading something on modular fords about their being some circumstances were the vampire wasn’t quite as effective on e85. A search over there should bring it up.

I run the vampire to protect my ass in the event of a mechanical failure or sub par fuel

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
Most of those stand alones also have their own knock sensors and protection correct?
You can run knock sensors with a Holley if you wanted, but e85 doesn't really knock. I run 35-36lbs of boost with pump e85. About 10k miles and many hundreds of WOT hits on this engine for over 2 years now. Getting away from the stock computer is a far better thing to do than a Vampire IMO.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
If I was strapped with 93, I would definitely run one. You can't test that fuel. E85 there is no mystery, I test it every fill up. I've not tested below 85% in several years. I did test some 78% maybe 5 years ago.....car ran fine, AF was still solid mid 11s (gas scale).

I guess you could still have an injector completely fail and burn a cylinder....but those chances seem remote and I would think there would be some tell tell signs before someone ever went WOT.

I did punch my car WOT one time in third gear 3 years back and it went wildly lean on the hit about 4800rpms and the car fell on its face. I was maybe half a mile from my house, just drove casually home no problem. It was my alt. The motor was fine. This was on E87

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
I want one so I can pull timing at the flip of a switch. I wish they made a lingenfelter box for a mod motor.

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
Remembered I talked to a guy that went by smokin04 here. This is a few things he had to say when we were sending some pm’s. He seemed knowledgeable, but i took it with a grain of salt.
3ACAC04D-F7AC-4188-8D26-33BD8192D189.png
34F6D620-4D37-4DB0-8992-22DE6E6DF3F3.png
569D1B69-76F1-4A67-B5D5-E804046E2A9C.png
68C0220C-07F0-4A03-A0DA-227DBF1F33B5.png
BFCBB1B8-B586-4888-9B47-919038F89C8A.png
98C02735-F208-48A0-9F6D-D486EA4469BF.png

Users who are viewing this thread