Who's running a full 3" with IRS, midpipe back?

RTCOBRA2964

Established Member
ARH LTs, ARH 3" X with cats, Bassanni 3" catback with resonators. No drone thanks to the resonators. No fitment issues besides the passenger's exhaust pipe having to lowered slightly to clear the BF IRS brace. Planning to get a LPW cover to solve that problem.

GodStang

Established Member
Are you suggesting a 3" system is worth 60 hp over a 2 1/2" system? :eek:

Thats what it reads like. :read:

I dont buy it for 2 seconds.

No I am not saying that. I am saying There has been great gains going from 2.5" to 3". What really matters is the power you are going to make. I picked up nice HP with a complete 2.5" setup on my 2001 Cobra that made under 300rwhp. So you are saying that I should use the same size exhaust on my 2003 Blown Cobra at over 600RWHP that I used on my GT and my 2001 Cobra that made less than half the HP.

Also 700rwhp was impossible to get to on blower alone pre 2005 and very few were over 600. 99% of the 03-04 Cobra exhaust systems were already made by 1999 and using the 2.5" exhaust already designed for the 99-01 Cobra was cheaper and easier for the companies. Since the 3.4L and 2.8L has come out in 2007/2008 and people started hitting 700s and 800s to the ground the old 99-01 catbacks at 2.5" are just not the best choice on our cars as we start to get to the higher HP.

In the end you need to put on your car what you feel is the best for you. Is it really the best on testing would tell as shown below.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I went for a 10.4s@135 with 1.49 60's to a 10.20@140 with a 1.56 60ft leaving soft. I also was running bbk longtubes and full exhaust before swapping to the kooks/bassani setup" -rtusnake on 3" exhaust

"Any idea what your dyno numbers were before and after the swap?"

"It was 620 something before and 701 after. The weather was about 15 degrees cooler on the after dyno as well"
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is an exhaust size calculator:
Exhaust Size Calculator

Info on Exhaust Scavenging
Autolounge.net | Tech | Exhaust

And this:
1. For avoiding significant restriction from back pressure, the pipe should flow at least 2.2CFM per horsepower produced.

2. A straight pipe will flow ~115CFM per square inch of area (using inside diameter of the pipe)

Last edited:

Crackerballer

Oh baby!
Established Member
Even better news, I am going to be doing a solid swap (most likely) so a 3" catback will be even easier to get. Probably go with the Magnaflow 3" once it is released.

20SVT03

Wishin for that KB!
Established Member
"Easier to get" Yea right! No one has 99-04 GT 3" exhaust in stock anymore. It took me a month and a half for MAC to make mine. i found a couple of places that showed it in stock but didn't.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Hell if you can find a 3'' catback for a SRA for 96-04 I'd be very very suprised, no one to my knowledge makes it but MAC.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
I just checked out their site and there is nothing for a 99-04 SRA 3'' catback.. :shrug:

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
ARH LTs, ARH 3" X with cats, Bassanni 3" catback with resonators. No drone thanks to the resonators. No fitment issues besides the passenger's exhaust pipe having to lowered slightly to clear the BF IRS brace. Planning to get a LPW cover to solve that problem.

How does that sound? I have the 1 3/4 ARH headers/3" mid with a 3" Mac catback. Planning to switch to bassani because it has straight through mufflers.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
^^^ HELL YEA!!!! That's awesome.. Looks like I'll just wait now. I really hope that it'll mate up to a 2.5'' midpipe connector.. I don't know of to many midpipes that have a 3'' outlet to accept the catback.. Not even kooks.. :(

Last edited:

x NOODLES x

Big Hitter da LLama!
Established Member
All this '3" talk" has made me pull the trigga!! :rockon:

Jerks. :beer:

Now the search for the RIGHT CATBACK.

I dont want the pipes to be unequal like RTcobra.......

GodStang

Established Member
^^^ HELL YEA!!!! That's awesome.. Looks like I'll just wait now. I really hope that it'll mate up to a 2.5'' midpipe connector.. I don't know of to many midpipes that have a 3'' outlet to accept the catback.. Not even kooks.. :(

I am pretty sure kooks does. It is not on their site but they will make anything. I may drop my Cobra off there and have them make a 3" IRS catback with Borla Mufflers.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
I am pretty sure kooks does. It is not on their site but they will make anything. I may drop my Cobra off there and have them make a 3" IRS catback with Borla Mufflers.

damn you for living so close to them!! lol. I was kind of thinking the same thing on having them build me a custom 3'' catback.

Crackerballer

Oh baby!
Established Member
I wanted to comment since I have decided to stay IRS. Doing my research, it looks like JBA is the only catback I can find that doesn't taper down to 2.5" to mate with the midpipe. On top of that, Kooks DOES make a 3" inlet, 3" tubing, 3" outlet midpipe (6016-3) for use with their long tubes.

It's looking more and more like my setup will be the Kooks 6004s Stepped Long tubes with 3" collector, mipipe 6016-3, 3" midpipe with cats, and the JBA 40-2626 3" catback. It's the only non tapered combo I can find without having custom stuff made.

Users who are viewing this thread