whos in the army or was in it

gtowncobra

Established Member
so im thinking about joining the army im about to turn 20. do you like it or did you like it how was your experience? any info from you army guys would be great thanks

stangd1909

GO NOLES
Established Member
I was in the Army and loved it. If my wife wasn't pregnant with my daughter, I would still be in. My MOS was 19K (M1A1 tanker) and I would do it all over again LOL.

gtowncobra

Established Member
i want to enlist for the shortest term at first 3 years right? hows the money what was your job did you like it would you have picked another? how was iraq?

89 az ssp

F-16 Crew Chief
Established Member
If you want the best living conditions I would pick the AF. Obviously the AF doesn't offer the same jobs as the Army. Here is a link to the pay chart.
BTW, I have been in the Army and am now in the AF. The military has sent me to 24 different countries in my 10 yrs so if you like to travel I am sure you will get a lot of that.

http://usmilitary.about.com/library/milinfo/pay/2008pay/blenlbasepay.htm

Last edited:

KazooGS-T

Established Member
That pay chart has to be off, or I'm not reading something properly. The highest paid person gets 5k a year? Or a month?

89 az ssp

F-16 Crew Chief
Established Member
That pay chart has to be off, or I'm not reading something properly. The highest paid person gets 5k a year? Or a month?

You are reading that correctly for an enlisted person monthly. Officers make more.

I am a E-5 and my pay is 2600. a month

Sapperstang

Established Member
Was in for 8 years. 96-04. Some things I would do differently but I would do it all over again.

Tedisky

Need more Money!!!!!
Established Member
Been in in the Army 13 yrs, re-uping to go until retirement. Money isn't bad after you get some rank, but health care, food and housing is paid for. Not to mention they are offering fat enlisment bonuses. I would do it again, no doubt. It has it's ups and downs, but I think that comes with any job. You could join for 3 yrs, and if you like it re-up. If not, you walk away with college money and a very good experience in life. pm me if you have any personal questions, I used to be a recruiter.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
You also pay for food, housing, and medical care.

Med care? I have not paid lately. my family gets tri-care but that is minimal cost and is deducted and not part of the 5K.
Being TDY i can't eat the 80 a day i am getting extra for food.
I get 1000 a month for housing, my ex to be gets most of that.
I do get pro-pays, a lot of other guys don't but sometimes the gubberment likes to throw money away for free!
Bottom line is after all the taxes and allotments i have, i get 2,500 every two weeks. Not shabby since I personally have no house, food, auto ('cept my son's college car) or fuel bills that are not covered by TDY money! WOOO HOOO! So 5 grand to play with for a guy with a GED ain't too bad!

Last edited by a moderator:

gotwood

Established Member
I would do it again in a heartbeat. I would be retiring in 3 years @ the ripe old age of 39 if I stayed in. I was a preventive med spc and combat medic. I had a great time and met a lot of great people. I have never partied more in my life or had more fun than when I was in. I did my training @ Fort Sam in San Antonio, and loved it. There was more ass than you could imagine at that place with all the nurses and docs being trained there. My wife told me that she would not raise a family as an Army wife, so that was the end of that.

RiffRaff04

Established Member
I was active duty for 6 years and now im in the guard while I finish school. Its a great way to go. BTW I was a recruiter so if you need some no BS answers let me know.

ponyboyx04

Established Member
so im thinking about joining the army im about to turn 20. do you like it or did you like it how was your experience? any info from you army guys would be great thanks

im a us army recruiting station commander, so if you have any questions feel free to ask:thumbsup:

gtowncobra

Established Member
does anyone know anything about the military police its something i might be interested in

03blkmach1

Established Member
been in for 3 years in january. Some things i like and some i hate, you just take it all with a grain of salt.

Users who are viewing this thread