Who's had a collapsing radiator hose?

Twisted2

Established Member
Inspired by another guy's thread, I checked my lower and upper radiator hoses, and found that they're both ridiculously soft (when cold). I can collapse them almost completely, with just my thumb and middle finger tips. I don't believe there's a spring in the lower hose.

I'm wondering if they're collapsing at sustained RPMs--in my case, on the highway. Has anyone else experienced that before? What were the symptoms? Thanks.

Twisted2

Established Member
Thanks for the replies. Good points. I replaced my radiator a few years ago, but the hosees looked so good, I didn't think to replace them. The collapsing thing never even occurred to me. I guess I'll replace them in a few days. I was just wondering if that was a common issue. So do most people have a spring in there?

Twisted2

Established Member
My vote is air in the system.....

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Thanks for chiming in. I don't even want to admit how many hours I've spent bleeding the system over the years, in various ways. I have a pretty good procedure for it. Said and done, it takes a week or two, and topping up the crossover numerous times, to get all the air out. I'm pretty positive I've gotten all the air out every time. Good point though.

One quick note on that, for others. Sometimes you have to recheck the crossover even months after you're confident that you've gotten all the air out. For example, one time, I bled the system repeatedly until the crossover would no longer take even a drop of coolant, over months. Then I parked on a very steep hill in Laguna Beach. Something told me to check the crossover after that, and sure enough, some air had been dislodged from some dark recess in the engine.

I recently had the same experience after my gear install. Somehow the installer having the REAR end of the car jacked up 45°, also dislodged air, which surprised me. Not to mention, the cooling system is like a giant thermometer. With the cap out, you can watch the coolant level in the crossover rise and fall with the temperature, within a day. Anyhow, you're right--bleeding is a very tricky thing.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread