Whos got HID's installed?

CTmatt

Established Member
thinking about putting HID's in my 99 saleen. anybody here have them? what kit did you go with and how do you like it. i really dont mind spending the money for the best kit. im leaning towards a bi-xenon kit but havent decided yet.

Kovachian

Me vs. Earth
Established Member
You can get bi-xenons for stangs? I know you can get them for H4 bulbs but I've never heard of any other bulb having that.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
silverpwrplant said:
i do this is the brand i have i'll post pics later
http://www.xenonking.com/?src=overture

my question about a "kit" like this, since the stock headlight reflector wasn't designed for HID's how does it keep from blinding anyone coming at you since it dosn't have a cutoff like OEM HIDs have?

(found out what I wanted to know)

(5) Are these HID light systems street legal?

NO XENON HID conversion kit available from any source is DOT approved if installed outside of the factory. Moreover, in the U.S, this is not street legal for use on public roads. As a result, we officially endorse the kit for exhibition and off-road use and will only sell the kit to be used for these purposes. We are not responsible for buyers who violate the terms of sale while in which they will assume all responsibilities for any unauthorized or unintended use other than exhibition or off-road use.

Last edited:

CTmatt

Established Member
well ive been reading a lot about it, and it seems the best way to go about doing it, is buy a nice bi/xenon kit with a wiring harness that bypasses the stock one. then if you dont want excessive glare like stated above you need to buy a whole new housing with a projector set up.

Kovachian

Me vs. Earth
Established Member
Well either the cops think my HIDs are factory equipment, or they just don't give a shit. Either way they've never pulled me over or even asked about them, and my car's been driven through probably 25-30 states.

KngCobra88

Established Member
I bought hid kit from meeca 8300k from the group pay awhile aback.
There is a little glare from them, but i have no proble with the police.

tuke

I am t3h Banned
Established Member
KngCobra88 said:
I bought hid kit from meeca 8300k from the group pay awhile aback.
There is a little glare from them, but i have no proble with the police.
8300k :eek:

ZincDude

Blah
Established Member
Yes the Mecca Tune kit is plug n play and you use the factory assembly. Bought the kit in a group purchase for $295.00. Have the 6500K and they are wonderful. Also bought the fog light kit as well. The bulbs that come with it sit in the same position as factory bulbs.

Kovachian

Me vs. Earth
Established Member
It is. All hid kits are great. Well, some of 'em. Once you get hid I guarantee you'll never want to go back to halogens again.

Last edited:

MrMajestik

Beware of buying MeccaTune kits from 3gmtrading. The MeccaTune kits themselves are great, customer service from 3gmtrading (also known as cartech) is non-existent. If you do buy from them, be sure to use a payment method that you can dispute, because any inquiries sent or phoned about the whereabouts of your parts after ordering may go unanswered.

VenomousSVT

TRQSTEER
Established Member
MrMajestik said:
Beware of buying MeccaTune kits from 3gmtrading. The MeccaTune kits themselves are great, customer service from 3gmtrading (also known as cartech) is non-existent. If you do buy from them, be sure to use a payment method that you can dispute, because any inquiries sent or phoned about the whereabouts of your parts after ordering may go unanswered.
good info :read:

Vancouver83LTD

Established Member
personally I wouldn't go for the HID's...
Just alot of complicated things that can go wrong is all.
I am planning on getting sylvania silverstars. I think that the HID is rated at 4800 lumens and the silverstars are rated at 4700...
The 100 lumens isn't that big a difference and when you take into account the considerable cost of HID, not to mention installing the ballast and everything, really I think you're better off with the silverstar.
As well the silverstars are halogen so they don't have that sudden cutoff that are a real issue for other drivers, they slowly fade instead. Not to mention you don't have to go through the big process of having a shop aim them for you (like HID), it's easy to do it yourself.
Just a thought, might be worth looking into before you bite the bullet and go for the expensive mod

Kovachian

Me vs. Earth
Established Member
Whatever kit you buy make sure it has a good warranty (as in MORE than 30 measly days), and uses brand new ballasts and bulbs, not refubished junk. Remember, someone else returned that kit for a good reason and it wasn't b/c they worked TOO good. Who wants to fork over money for items that failed to impress someone else? Just get all brand new components and a warranty and you're all set.

Users who are viewing this thread