Whoever installed a JLT CAI

01BlueCobraVert

Established Member
Did you guys attach velcro like suggested to prevent rubbing? I haven't attempted the install due to lack of time and was wondering about clearance under the hood. Any worries on it rubbing the underside? I got it painted true blue and just don't want to mess it up. Thanks

Jamie R.

Established Member
The pipe will hit where it goes through the fender or at least mine does.

Jamie R.
'01 Silver Cobra on the Cover of MM&FF's August '07 Issue

Smacked_in_ATL

Stock!
Established Member
Yeah, it will hit. But it should come with a piece that you can protect the pipe with as it goes through the fender. They are a pain to install.

01BlueCobraVert

Established Member
I got the painted plate which mounts to the car and the pipes pass through. I am more concerned w/ shutting my hood and when I re-open it, the top of the tube will be all scratched up?

Smacked_in_ATL

Stock!
Established Member
I got the painted plate which mounts to the car and the pipes pass through. I am more concerned w/ shutting my hood and when I re-open it, the top of the tube will be all scratched up?

Um, I wouldn't be concerned with that. Don't you have a hood insulator? Just close the hood, it shouldn't hit if installed correctly.

Boosted0range

Established Member
I had mine painted Comp orange...the bottom touches the valve cover...but it constantly lays on it so theres no real way to see a scratch unless you take the pipe off. And i removed my hood liner and there is zero clearance problems above...the whole thing is a pain to get lined up just right but works great once your done. Take the instructions suggestion of the soapy water around the rubber couplings.

281CJ

Established Member
my RAI is so weird that i had to take off my hood blanket and it still rubs the hood...and i have NO way of making it fit any better.

01BlueCobraVert

Established Member
Did you guys remove your wheel or just pull back the liner? I guess I could use the velcro as suggested where it is close to the valve cover to prevent chipping.

matted2thefloor

Established Member
Silicone spray will work good in place of the soap water. I helped a fellow SVTP'er put on his and it was a pain in the @ss. Take the wheel off!!!

If you're that worried about the paint where it passes through the fender, then I definately recommend using the rubber strip that is included or anything else you might be able to locate...because it WILL scratch the hell out of it if you don't use anything!

G/L

Orange Stang 04

Electric Green FTW
Established Member
I took off the whole front bumper, takes like 10 minutes, and you can clean all the stuff behind it and such. Its 6 bolts, I reccomend taking it off.

BlueVenom01

Established Member
IIRC the only problem spot on mine is where the hood liner rubs the upper rubber elbow connecting the pipe to the TB..

FWIW I used liquid soap inside the elbows to connect the pipe...they went on with no probs and remained adjustable through the install. once the soap dries it makes for good seal as well. :thumbsup:

RED99VASVT

Established Member
My son and I put mine on in 30 minutes with no problems. Pulled the wheel, use the rubber piece to prevent ruining paint. Mine woes hit the hood liner and leaves a shiny spot, but mine is not painted and I'm OK with that. Having another set of hands to help will make it a lot easier and give you someone to have a beer with when you finish.

01BlueCobraVert

Established Member
Finally got around to getting my intake on last night. I also got a new tune from Jon Lund to go along with it. As soon as I hit 4200, it just screams!!!

enginewithnewintake.jpg

closeupofintake.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread