whoa whoa whoa......

snakebittn

Established Member
I have a 1998 mustang cobra and something is bothering me......well for one it has TWO slung rods, and now I have no chance of overhauling the engine block thats in it now...........secondly the extended warranty JUST ran out...... third I had it in the shop a couple months ago for a humming rear end(extended warranty picked up the tab).............. fourth a month after that I had to get the transmission overhauled(no extended warranty)..........now it might be my driving but I don't think in a total of three months all that should go wrong with a vehicle that ford produces, and definately not a cobra. I don't believe I shoulda have TWO thrown rods with 77, xxx miles on the vehicle. Now I have no extended warranty and pretty much screwed out of my every day driver for a couple months unless there is a recall or somethin on the engine that I didn't hear about, IS THERE???

Now onto a more important question.... if there isn't a recall or something of that sort on my engine I am going to get a 5.4 shortblock assembly out of a navigator:D , the question, Would my heads and intake manifolds bolt right up or would I have to modify something? If my manifolds would not work could I get the Cobra R upper and lower plenums and would they work? Computer wise.....would my computer work or would I have to get a computer for a Cobra R? Fitment wise would it drop right in my engine bay or modifications??? If I do get the shortblock should I change out the pistons, rods, and crank for forged and not flattop pistons(thats what it comes with)? Again I have a 98 mustang cobra. Thanks for all your help. :rolling:

COBRASVT

Established Member
Sounds like someone has driven the piss out of the Cobra over it's lifetime....are you the original owner?

Good luck on all that you'll be doing...should be a beast when ur done.

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Okay, so let me see if I got this right. You "slung" two connecting rods out of your engine? And if so how do you know that you did? Or did someone tell you that you did?

snakebittn

Established Member
Yep sure did sling 2 rods. I was heard the knocking one day and stopped driving it and the next time i cranked it to ask a mechanic I guess the rods finally just cracked through the block, cause the next day I went back to look under it and sure enough there was a big puddle of oil and pieces of the block and the connecting rods just chillin hanging outside the block. So a friend of mine pulled them out and was like man I think you slung a rod or two, joking around and needless to say I laughed and was got kinda mad after that.
No I wasn't the original owner a person had leased the vehicle and I bought it after his lease was up.
Yea you right I should go hyundai accent but where's the speed in a hyundai??
I am more than likely going with the navi shorblock cause I am not too big on boring and stroking......don't get me wrong but yea the navi shortblock is waaaaay cheaper to go with than that setup.
What would I have to do to make the lower plenum work? Computer wise will mine work?? How much power and torque am I looking at with the 5.4 block and my heads and intake....cobra r #'s or what? haha doubt it but I bet its gonna be a lot more than what I have now.

Users who are viewing this thread