Who would you buy a shortblock from?

2000wrx

Established Member
Just wondering, if you were building a Cobra with 10 power in mind who would you buy a forged short block from?

I am just thinking out loud here. If I want to go 10's in a daily drivable Cobra I would need a lot of boost. So a forged SB is in order. I know of only a few "popular" builders...

CHP 5.1L 3999.99
DSS 4.6L 3500.00ish
SHM 4.6L 4000.00 5.0L 5000.00

Who am I missing, or am I going down the wrong road completely?

CY98Cobra

Established Member
everything i have heard about shm is awful. dont go that route. i would go vt engines. doug has one of their shortblocks. i've heard nothing but good about their engines. they can also do a 5.4l due to the sleeves they use. you should check them out.

2000wrx

Established Member
looks good,

So what should I expect to pay for a very clean condition 96-98 Cobra? I am budgeting 12-14K for the purchase of the car, though the less I spend the more I can mod :)

hmmm forged Cobra, uber boost.. and that sound yummmm

slow98svt

www.snma.net
Established Member
Actually you just need pistons and rods with some good rings and a few other minor things, the block itself can take tons of power and it already has a forged crank.

CY98Cobra

Established Member
not trying to hijack, doubletrouble, did you paint your taillight bezels yourself? if so, what paint did you use and how did you do it? you can pm me so i dont interrupt the thread.

2000wrx

Established Member
yea but if your going to tear it down and replace anything makes sence to get a nasty new shortblock and more cubes to boot.

I could see doing a bolt on Cobra and an S/c then stepping up to a bigger better short block in the future.

What kinda of times are people running with S/C'd bolt-on Cobras?

CY98Cobra

Established Member
if your wanting to up cubes and have the money, get a new shortblock. if you dont want to spend a fortune or dont want the extra displacement just get forged rods/pistons.

XR8TED285

Established Member
h.c.i motorsports
al pappito
mod. performance
or vt

maybe expensive but you get what you payfor i have seen plenty of 350 rwhp n/a cars from h.c.i and alot of 550+ blown cars

Al p. builds the nastiest of n/a motors

Mod perf. well the have the fastest n/a car in the world

doubletrouble

The Mad Scientist
Established Member
Black98COBRA said:
not trying to hijack, doubletrouble, did you paint your taillight bezels yourself? if so, what paint did you use and how did you do it? you can pm me so i dont interrupt the thread.
I actually did not. I bought the car like that and they are the Saleen taillight bezels.

Users who are viewing this thread