Who Uses E85 Fuel in their 2011 5.0?

TurboPh1sh

Established Member
Considering how corrosive E85 is to fuel systems not setup for its use, i was just wondering for the people who use E85, what modifications have you performed to your fueling system to allow regular use of E85?

These cars do not come E85 compatible from the factory.

Thanks for the responses!

J666Z

JohnnyZ06
Established Member
We've tuned a local 2012 Boss 302 on E85. No modifications were made to the fuel system AT FIRST.

We ended up needing larger injectors and a boost a pump. But that's the only modifications needed.

Car made over 450 rwhp on e-85 and a tune.

jj6077

Established Member
pretty sure they had a thread about this recently, should go back a few pages I am sure you will find it.

TurboPh1sh

Established Member
We've tuned a local 2012 Boss 302 on E85. No modifications were made to the fuel system AT FIRST.

We ended up needing larger injectors and a boost a pump. But that's the only modifications needed.

Car made over 450 rwhp on e-85 and a tune.

WOW that's impressive! What kind of timing do you run with E85? How come it required larger injectors and a boost a pump? Is it running FI?

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
WOW that's impressive! What kind of timing do you run with E85? How come it required larger injectors and a boost a pump? Is it running FI?

Stoich for E85 isn't the same 14:1 as it is for gasoline. Stoichiometric ratio for E85 is around 9.7:1. As you can see it requires quite a bit more fuel. So, you need larger injectors and more pump to feed them.

Which brings up the next thing to keep in mind. E85 might be a bit cheaper than gasoline, but you also use (depending on the application) 15-30% more of it.

TurboPh1sh

Established Member
That's what i thought i just never figured it would require THAT much more fuel.

Is anyone worried about the E85 eventually corroding the lines and fuel tank?

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
That's what i thought i just never figured it would require THAT much more fuel.

Is anyone worried about the E85 eventually corroding the lines and fuel tank?

Most modern fuel systems after about 2003ish are corrosion resistant to this type of fuel.

Nevertheless it is something that if you plan on running E85 that should be looked in to.

wbt

Banned
I converted to e85 last week.

I want to be clear about this....

It DOES NOT require any fuel system modifications for a 2011+ N/A 5.0. Saying it does is a load of crap. The stock fuel pump and injectors have no issue keeping up with the extra fuel demand.

The only thing needing a change is the tune.

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
I run e85. Just to be clear on something. E85 is not corrosive. It can acumulate water vapor and the water is what could cause problems with corrosion. Not something to worry about with new cars.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

tvanlant

Established Member

It DOES NOT require any fuel system modifications for a 2011+ N/A 5.0. Saying it does is a load of crap. The stock fuel pump and injectors have no issue keeping up with the extra fuel demand.

How much power did you make (or increase) when you converted to e85?

SILV03MustangGT

Han Brolo CDR 5.Broliance
Established Member

i was told that completely stock u can run E85 with the only mod being the tune. what about with minor bolt ons? i know i also read that you def need bigger injectors over the 47lbhr ones that come witht the roush kit on FI applications.

wbt

Banned
How much power did you make (or increase) when you converted to e85?

Haven't dyno'd since the change as we are still working on the tune.

Before numbers:

Dynojet SAE:
432WHP
376WTQ

Dynocom:
450WHP
404WTQ

Hoping to pickup around 15whp.

wbt

Banned
i was told that completely stock u can run E85 with the only mod being the tune. what about with minor bolt ons? i know i also read that you def need bigger injectors over the 47lbhr ones that come witht the roush kit on FI applications.

Should be good with bolt-on's. FI applications for certain need larger injectors and a BAP.

tvanlant

Established Member
My buddy & I are about to get the bamma kit (sct tuner, cai, and pre-made tune) and Boss 302 intake for his '11. E85 is plentiful around here, so would it be worth while to have the tune made for e85 instead of 93?

wbt

Banned
My buddy & I are about to get the bamma kit (sct tuner, cai, and pre-made tune) and Boss 302 intake for his '11. E85 is plentiful around here, so would it be worth while to have the tune made for e85 instead of 93?

It will be a push from a fuel cost perspective but if you are looking into it for performance reasons I would say yes.

Jon Lund has an e85 tune on the market as well. I would go that route personally.

TurboPh1sh

Established Member

IN MY OPINION, i would not get the boss manifold. I bought it and had it on for about 5000 miles. It felt great between 6500 and 7300. But anywhere else and it made noticeably less power. I removed it last weekend and it feels much better with the stock mani back on. I am currently trying to sell the intake. Just my 2 cents. I honestly wish I did not buy mine. That being said my car is 90 percent daily driven, and i never saw the RPMs that the manifold needs.

Users who are viewing this thread