Who SAVES and who SPENDS?! Financial Strategy Thread.

SublimeRT

'94 Slooowbraa
Established Member
I am a penny pincher for the most part. All I spend my money on is bills and a car part now and then. Every once in a while I'll buy myself something nice that I've been wanting, too; like earlier this year I got myself a new TV. There's a lot of stuff that I could spend my money on that I wouldn't mind having, but I always talk myself out of it. I've got all I really need for the most part. TV, Xbox 360, guitar, computer, skateboard, and a car. Been thinking about buying some new Nikes though. My shoes are like 2 years old and I stepped in dog crap the other night. I have a weird thing about that......makes me feel like my shoes are tainted forever, haha.

insane99svt

Established Member
Who said that?

Im 21 and I said that I did and i am telling the truth I have no reason to lie about it if it wasnt for the wreck and insurance I woud never own a Cobra I always wanted one and after all the suffering I went through I figured I desrved sometihng nice so I bought the car and put the rest in a CD so I couldnt spend it if I wanted to well at least not without a hassle so I have it but cant touch it

97WHITEVENOM

Established Member
I am definitly a saver. My parents who are pretty thrifty, a lil less so now, but that is because they could afford to be after saving for so long.... they even call me cheap. I put away ~50% of my net income into a online savings account, and 5% of my gross salary is put into a thrift saving plan, which is matched by my employer. I am about to open up an online stock trader account and put some of my savings money into that. The only debt I really have is ~$12,000 in student loans.
I am so damn cheap right now that I have found my dream that I had in college 10 miles from my house and I cant bring myself to buy it. 69 firebird with a chevy 350/th-350, no rust, and the included original poncho 400ci/th400, and I am too cheap to pull the trigger... even my parents said I should grab it:shrug:
It doesnt matter, because unless i find a wifey that makes OK money, I will never be able to afford a house where I live:mj:

oldmodman

Established Member
I live well below my means!

Me too!

I live so far below my means that I am accused of looking like a bum.

I own two fully paid off houses in West Los Angeles near the beach. Appx three million in the stock market and other investments. A 39 unit apartment building.

But I only have three pairs of pants and half a dozen shirts.

But I do buy pretty much all the toys that I want, except for the Veyron.

I have no debts at all, nor do I have any dependents or living relatives.

Even I don't know why I am such a cheapskate.:shrug:

I think I'll go out tomorrow and order that Smith & Wesson Custom Shop Model 500 that I was considering. Spending money hurts, but recoil doesn't:banana:

jimmy77

Established Member
Watch the stock market and cling to your false hopes. Let me share some personal information. I'm a gov't employee in NJ. After the 9/11 attacks our 401K was decimated after the stock market took a beating. Our Public Employees Retirement Fund was invested over the past 20 years in exactly 3 so called 'conservative type mutual funds.' Our fund was wiped out to the point where our state legislature had to pass a law requiring non police or Fire personnel to contribute 5% of their income to the retirement fund to make up for the monstrous losses. We used to contribute 3% prior to 9/11. We have approximately 40,000 employees tied to this fund.

The point is simple. 401K plans are not immune to stock market collapses. WE nearly doubled our contribution because are 401K went into the tank. Does your employer invest your 'retirement' in (3) different mutual funds??? Some companies only do one. Talk about thye rool of the dice. The stock market is anything but a secure investment. History tells the story of the 1929 crash and those lessons have not been learned by today's generation of Americans. About 4 months ago, Wall Street 'quietly' announced that they had taken out a second hedge fund loan.

FordRacer...when you understand what hedge funds are and what frightening significance a 2nd hedge fund loan has...then you'll be qualified to discuss this matter further. Unlike you, I pay attention to economic trends and the recklessness of so many Americans who have no idea what they are doing in many respects to the way they invest on Wall Street! CDs are a safer investment!

Nice post 01.

You are so right about the 401's...they aren't safe.

Sounds like most on here are responsible people who are planning for the future......unfortunately the red ink in this country is flowing like wine! For those that do have the money....GET OUT OF DOLLARS!!!!!......at least put some money into the EURO. Check out this website....you can open foreign currency accounts. https://www.everbank.com/

The is an old saying that goes like this......"FOLLOW THE MONEY" Guess what the VP of the US (Dick Cheney)does with his money?????

http://www.counterpunch.org/whitney07052006.html

Don't worry about Dick's money though....it will be back to the USA as soon as the dollar completes its collapse...and it(EURO) will have tremendous buying power when it happens!

more interesting reading....http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig6/faber3.html

Last edited:

Slo65

o harro ^_^
Established Member
i'm 20 (21 on friday :rockon:) and actually sold my mach1 to go back to school, but even without a 403 dollar a month payment i haven't been able to save much, though now i'm only working part time, i still find useless crap to spend it on :fm:

Quik Z06

Established Member
Save!! Whats that?? Lol, I save enough to buy my next mods :)

Seriously though, we dont save much, but over the last year my mindset has changed alot. I dont know if we will ever save much, coming close to death you do realize the "you cant take it when you die" saying make's a lot of sense. So we live 1 day at a time, we do have property that if we were to sell (well once the market goes back up) we could easily live off since its paid off.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
i cant save money. anytime i have any, some BS happens. i mentioned in another thread about the cat con going out on the tracker, turns out people are going and cutting them off peoples cars to take them to get recycled(big $$$). so i had to get a new exhaust, but found a small garage with a pretty cool owner that only charged $130 for full exhaust + cheap glass pack and no cat. then i got a $90 littering ticket because i went with a couple friends to a state park. one of the ranger dudes was stalking us or something and we were at a cliff edge when my bottle fell off. figured we would find it on the lower trail, but turns out he got to it first. prick.

RGrossman

Established Member
Its impressive to me how much some of you CAN save... I should would love to be able to put a good portion of my pay into a savings account, but all I can muster is my 401k with company match and the pension provided by the company. The rest is thrown to the bills and mortage. I was able to save much more prior to the house. Things change quickly after that with how often home expenses seem to come up.

2003 Silver

Banned
Me too!

I live so far below my means that I am accused of looking like a bum.

I own two fully paid off houses in West Los Angeles near the beach. Appx three million in the stock market and other investments. A 39 unit apartment building.

But I only have three pairs of pants and half a dozen shirts.

But I do buy pretty much all the toys that I want, except for the Veyron.

I have no debts at all, nor do I have any dependents or living relatives.

Even I don't know why I am such a cheapskate.:shrug:

I think I'll go out tomorrow and order that Smith & Wesson Custom Shop Model 500 that I was considering. Spending money hurts, but recoil doesn't:banana:

No dependents or living relatives...you want the gov. to get your money?? Start spending bro....treat yourself and not just on a gun lol!!

az_dude

Established Member
Save!! Whats that?? Lol, I save enough to buy my next mods :)

Seriously though, we dont save much, but over the last year my mindset has changed alot. I dont know if we will ever save much, coming close to death you do realize the "you cant take it when you die" saying make's a lot of sense. So we live 1 day at a time, we do have property that if we were to sell (well once the market goes back up) we could easily live off since its paid off.

For me its something like that also. I'm all about spending the money that I earn, instead of someone else doing it when i'm old and cant have fun. To bad i dont make a lot you know? I dont have property to sell though, +1 for you!

97WHITEVENOM

Established Member
Its impressive to me how much some of you CAN save... I should would love to be able to put a good portion of my pay into a savings account, but all I can muster is my 401k with company match and the pension provided by the company. The rest is thrown to the bills and mortage. I was able to save much more prior to the house. Things change quickly after that with how often home expenses seem to come up.

Dont feel bad, the only reason I am saving like it is going out of style is to buy a house. You have that accomplished already:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread