Who remembers the video of Bugatti driving into the lake?(the story inside)

Hurrycanestang

Established Member
So funny I just watched this again the other day years after I first saw it. I always wondered what the story was behind this. Also thought it was in Florida, apparently not. What an idiot, smh....(video in link)

https://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motor...raud--faces-20-years-in-prison-131558950.html

"The Texas man who drove his $1 million Bugatti Veyron into a lagoon as a insurance scam five years ago may soon have to pay for his crime in federal prison.

The U.S. attorney in Lufkin, Texas, said Tuesday that Andy House, 39, had plead guilty to one count of wire mail fraud in a federal criminal case filed two weeks ago. House's sentencing has not been set, but the maximum penalty under law is 20 years in prison.

You may recall the story from November 2009, when a passer-by recorded video of the Veyron running into the Gulf Bay near La Marque, Texas. House said at the time he had been distracted by a pelican and his cellphone when the Veyron went for a dip. (Warning: some understandably adult language in the video below):

But House's story quickly started to spring leaks, beginning with the video above showing no birds near the car. Investigators later discover that shortly after buying the Veyron for $1 million in October 2009, House had insured it for $2.2 million — and that he had left the W-16, quad turbocharged engine running for 15 minutes after submerging the car to ensure its destruction. (You might also notice the distinct lack of brake lights in the video above before the car goes in; the car itself was sold for salvage 16 months later.)

House and his insurer — whom he accused of misleading him in writing the policy on the Veyron — settled their lawsuit last year. House owned a business repairing exotic cars before launching his watery Bugatti adventure, and he as much as anyone should have known it's hard to pull off a scam in a car that you can't help but watch."

clean92lx

Established Member
I remember that. Dude is an idiot for trying that with people around. That's a car that most people will never see in person so odds of being video recorded are very high.

Hurrycanestang

Established Member
Yeah its definitely something I would have tried where there wasn't people around lol, granted I wouldn't try that at all but you get the picture lol

RIO RED SNAKE

4:10's = The Suck
Established Member
He was the biggest salvage repairer and part hoarder of Ford GTs in the country up until a year or 2 ago, you should of seen what he did to some of those poor cars in order to make a buck. Oh well, he'll of a scam idea but he got busted, damn cellphones nowadays everyone records..

T's03GT

#Team5bro
Established Member
He was the biggest salvage repairer and part hoarder of Ford GTs in the country up until a year or 2 ago, you should of seen what he did to some of those poor cars in order to make a buck. Oh well, he'll of a scam idea but he got busted, damn cellphones nowadays everyone records..

Should've waited till it was at night, "fell asleep at the wheel", a lot better of an excuse than what he said lol.

Users who are viewing this thread