Who on here has HDTV?

myrare1

Established Member
I just bought a big screen today and it is HDTV ready. Is it worth the extra couple of bucks for the service? Is it that noticable of a difference over digital cable? How many channels come in HD? The TV I bought has a HDMI slot, I was told that makes the picture even better. Any truth to that? I was also told to make sure I use higher quality cables for a better picture. Any truth to that? The picture with Digital Cable is pretty good but the picture with a DVD is excellent. I would like to bridge that gap as much as possible.

I don't know much about this so any advice is appreciated.

IxL4

Established Member
hey bro... i got a deal for ya...

my personal... i gave it to my buddies at chicagosvt.com

You can go to www.VMCSAT.com and in the boxes enter:

Extension: 133719
Promotion Code: A20

u get 4 free receivers (hdtv receivers) free installationa dn DVRs (record pause, and do cool stuff to digital tv) all free...

jump on it.

HDTV IS WORTH IT. LOOKS AWESOME.

By the way if anyone wants to make good money (all my mods made this way) check out my site: www.cufort.org and just follow instructions (in english lol)

take care

:beer:

Last edited:

mjzilinski

Kenne Bell
Established Member
HDTV looks amazing, although we only have like 5 channels, but they are a 100% improvement over regular cable or satelite.

afro

Why?
Established Member
If you have a really fast computer..

Minimal Configuration
(Play 720p video)
Microsoft Windows XP
Windows Media Player 9 Series
2.4 GHz processor or equivalent
384 MB of RAM
64 MB video card
1024 × 768 screen resolution
16-bit sound card
Speakers

http://www.wmvhd.com/

check out these samples..it is from the WMHDV format from windows that is used on some DVD's. Gives you an example of how clear it is. It is cool.

-fro

03LGCOBRA

Established Member
Ya it is worth it, we just put a home theather system in and the HD really makes a difference. The only problem that I sometimes run into is that it is a lot brighter than normal picture. Even when watching a dark show the picture is really bright, but it is still worth it.

JerseyGT

Jerseys Finest Ttop
Established Member
I heard these "tvs'" are tizight but after about 3-4 years the dealies start burning out and there not replacable, so say your lookn dead at you 5G tv and it starts goin on you you'll see little squares out. no picture in them. or color, whatever.

afro

Why?
Established Member
JerseyGT said:
I heard these "tvs'" are tizight but after about 3-4 years the dealies start burning out and there not replacable, so say your lookn dead at you 5G tv and it starts goin on you you'll see little squares out. no picture in them. or color, whatever.

That is a myth - but it "could" happen. Just like a CRT TV can go out, so can a RPTV. Even if it does, you just have to replace the projector thing I belive, which is probably around $800 (I have no idea). I'm sure there are people on here who have had a RPTV for over 6 years w/no problems..

DemonSVT

The Mad Modder!
Established Member
There is HD TV (I have a Hitachi Ultravision)

Then there is everything else.

Yes it's that much better in PQ.

Though beware not all HD is "really" HD.

Also if you have a top notch upscaling DVD player (i.e not what you find in the store) it can get near "true" HD PQ.

Then add a Yamaha 6.1 setup with additional old school (i.e. REAL WOOD) BOSE speakers and you'd be getting close to my setup. :beer:

03LGCOBRA

Established Member
DemonSVT said:
There is HD TV (I have a Hitachi Ultravision)

Then there is everything else.

Yes it's that much better in PQ.

Though beware not all HD is "really" HD.

Also if you have a top notch upscaling DVD player (i.e not what you find in the store) it can get near "true" HD PQ.

Then add a Yamaha 6.1 setup with additional old school (i.e. REAL WOOD) BOSE speakers and you'd be getting close to my setup. :beer:

Ours is a 60 inch LG Plamsa flat screen built into an old closet, with a B and W surround sound system. Im not sure what all the AV componets are. I don't get to spend that much time in there. I'll have to try and get a picture up it is a pretty sweet room.

modthispny

Established Member
It's DEFENITELY worth it. It's amazing how much better everything looks, but that also brings up the downside. There are only like 5 HD channels, and the NBA has only shown 2 games in HD so far, (ESPNHD)....it's hard watching SD after HD.

MystiChrome Coupe

Established Member
Play around with the TV first. I have a HDTV ready (not capable) TV. The difference is that the ready one has the HDTV tuner built in, the HDTV capable ones you need a seperate tuner. Now on my TV it has some new type of tuner & I was able to get my local HDTV channels already by just searching around the channels. It beats using the rabbit ears antenna, but if your TV is the ready type, a $5 antenna is all you need for local channels.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
03LGCOBRA said:
Ours is a 60 inch LG Plamsa flat screen built into an old closet, with a B and W surround sound system. Im not sure what all the AV componets are. I don't get to spend that much time in there. I'll have to try and get a picture up it is a pretty sweet room.

LG and B&W is excellent stuff.

HDTV is definitely worth it. I get about 15 HD channels right now. I have a Sony 60" Grand Wega XBR LCD HDTV, Denon 3803 AVR receiver, Denon dvd player, and Boston Accoustic surround sound. The speakers are ceiling mounted an the wires are run behind the walls and through the attic. I'm pretty happy with it. :thumbsup:

ZincDude

Blah
Established Member
Well I saw HDTV for the first time at my parents house and it looks frickin awesome. Not that many channels yet but times are a changin!!:beer:

MystiChrome Coupe

Established Member
JerseyGT said:

Depends pn the type of TV from what I've heard. The plasma type ones will burn out after years of use & when that happens the TV is toast. Again this is just what I was told when I was looking. Take it FWIW. I'm not sure about the LCD ones. I have a DLP type of TV & the wearable item in it is a light bulb. When it goes I just have to replace the buld & the TV will have a pic like when it was new.

ZincDude

Blah
Established Member
MystiChrome Coupe said:
Depends pn the type of TV from what I've heard. The plasma type ones will burn out after years of use & when that happens the TV is toast. Again this is just what I was told when I was looking. Take it FWIW. I'm not sure about the LCD ones. I have a DLP type of TV & the wearable item in it is a light bulb. When it goes I just have to replace the buld & the TV will have a pic like when it was new.
Yes DLP is suppose to be good. :banana:

Cobra03FLA

Titties & Beer!
Established Member
I just got it last month with my digital cable package it was only 8 bucks a month more. It looks awesome but its only 2 channels. You can get more but you have to pay extra. Espn hd would be mandatory if your a sports nut. I was kind of skeptical because I have a sony 51 inch projection tv (hd ready) and I didnt think it would be as nice as plasma but it looked damn good!

superlftman

The Answer is..
Established Member
I have a 57" sony with HD. I do a lot of computer gaming in High Def so I love it for that. Its definately worth a couple extra bucks to get the channels. Not many channels yet but every month they are adding stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread