who makes the best turbo kit for the cobra's?

pwrhungry

Established Member
Best as in made? Timely delivery? price? power? Its hard to define what best is as most places have there good perks and bad ones.

PTK is supposedly one of the best but not many out for the 03-04 Cobra to say how good it really is. I have been waiting over 11 months and still dont have my kit.

Hellion uses stock headers (downfall imo) that creates a jungle gym of piping under the car. They also charge alot for there kit even after skimping on turbo manifoldsb but, mega bonus is they can provide it within a week from order date from what I hear.

Iduction concepts is really pretty but still doesnt have thier kit out after 2+ years as they are always supposidly changing it. Prettiest kit by far.

HP's kit is sloppy and they take months also to produce but it does make alot of power. Also difficult to get parts they forget to send you.

Its all up to you to pick your poison, goodluck either why you decide to go. :uh oh:

HellionCobra

More to come!
Established Member
pwrhungry said:
Hellion uses stock headers (downfall imo) that creates a jungle gym of piping under the car. They also charge alot for there kit even after skimping on turbo manifoldsb but, mega bonus is they can provide it within a week from order date from what I hear.

you can say the stock headers are a downfall all you want but the fact is i lost horsepower changing to shorties. i also do not believe that $6800 qualifies as charging a lot for a kit as nice as this one is and also for such fast delivery and also for 800+HP. i like my kit and am very satisfied with customer service and quality of piping.

Nate

yellow03vert

Established Member
Does the $6800 include everything you need for a complete install (manifold, injectors, ect.)? If it does not what else did you have to get to make it work. Thanks

mobius

CDM 2009
Established Member
includes injectors and k member you need to purchase the manifolds separate for like 850.... seems like a very complete kit for the price and i would upgrade to the ball bearing turbo for 400 more.... so for around 8k you have the complete setup.... just need install and tune another 1500 maybe.... so for under 10k you are looking at 800 hp till you break the bottom end!!!!

Last edited:

50 BMG

Socialpath media
Established Member
I'm still watching 2 of my family members go through a turbo build 3+ months later...it sucks.

No one has any type of time table when it comes to kit production that I've seen except helion. They always have good remarks about service and their timetable but after seeing the pictures etc there are things I don't like about the kit. Mostly centered around the header as someone else already mentioned.

It doesn't matter what you get right now, IMO they're all lacking 1 way or another.

HellionCobra

More to come!
Established Member
yellow03vert said:
Does the $6800 include everything you need for a complete install (manifold, injectors, ect.)? If it does not what else did you have to get to make it work. Thanks

what you would need would be a 99-01 alternator and manifold. the kit comes with k-member, front suspension, turbo, injectors, and piping.

i am telling you guys that i actually lost horsepower with headers as opposed to the exhaust manifolds.

Nate

pwrhungry

Established Member
HellionCobra said:
what you would need would be a 99-01 alternator and manifold. the kit comes with k-member, front suspension, turbo, injectors, and piping.

i am telling you guys that i actually lost horsepower with headers as opposed to the exhaust manifolds.

Nate

Get some longtubes then. The stock headers suck hense why everyone with a s/c'er gains hp or lowers track times with longtubes. Go to turbomustangs or something and learn. NO ONE think stock headers are better then turbo manifolds. The only reason Hellion did it is to save money and speed up production time and if they tell you because theres nothing wrong they are lier's. Which is the BS they said to me when I called.

Go search around for how many use a stock header for a turbo kit. Did hellion find the new save all best way to make a trubo kit? Heck no they took the easy fast way to produce mass kits quickly that still worked.

As I said in earlier post every has ups and downs, pick your poison.

mobius

CDM 2009
Established Member
while i will agree that headers gain power, it is also true that with a turbo this is not as prominent as in NA or a roots setup so i would believe there is not much difference until you get into very very high hp apps

HellionCobra

More to come!
Established Member
pwrhungry said:
Get some longtubes then. The stock headers suck hense why everyone with a s/c'er gains hp or lowers track times with longtubes. Go to turbomustangs or something and learn. NO ONE think stock headers are better then turbo manifolds. The only reason Hellion did it is to save money and speed up production time and if they tell you because theres nothing wrong they are lier's. Which is the BS they said to me when I called.

Go search around for how many use a stock header for a turbo kit. Did hellion find the new save all best way to make a trubo kit? Heck no they took the easy fast way to produce mass kits quickly that still worked.

As I said in earlier post every has ups and downs, pick your poison.

in case you didnt know longtubes do not work with my hellion kit. i lost horsepower with shorties over the stock exhaust manifolds PERIOD. no need to bash what you dont know about just because you put out money a year ago for a turbo kit that you still do not have.

Nate

pwrhungry

Established Member
HellionCobra said:
in case you didnt know longtubes do not work with my hellion kit. i lost horsepower with shorties over the stock exhaust manifolds PERIOD. no need to bash what you dont know about just because you put out money a year ago for a turbo kit that you still do not have.

Nate

The way you post you must get a kickback, are part owner, or got your turbo kit for next to nothing. I put in my post goods and bads for every company and all you put is that you think you have the best kit in the world. Most would disagree. Using the stock headers keeps the price way down (even though the kit price isnt). I understand its your kit and to make you feel good you tell yourself its the best one ever made but its not. Like I said no one else does this but im sure it has been considered.

I also know it doesnt work with L/ts but thats what most put on there car for more power (s/c'er people) Most of them dont see gains with shorties either. Shorties suck period and are a waste of time.

I have everything for my kit sitting in the house but the k-member. When I ordered my kit my choices were HP and PTK so dont go hating. I only wanted a single turbo so the narrowed it down to my only choice being PTK or custom. I considered canceling for the Hellion but didnt like the fact they use stock manifolds as I want a real turbo kit. Im doing it right the first time as when I had the 01 GT I bought a Vortech when all i really wanted was a turbo kit the whole time. I dont want to make the same mistake by buying a Hellion with stock manifolds and having a jungle gym under the car wishing I bought a real kit with manifold liek a turbo kit should have. My opinion!

Why dont you call up some Turbo companies and ask them why they dont use the stock manifolds. Tell them they work awsome and tell them how great they are. Lets see how many agree with you. Im gonna go with none.

Last edited:

Juiced-03

Established Member
I personally like the Hellion kit. I am not too interested in headers myself (and the extra time to install them) so if I ever went with a turbo it would be the Hellion. I would probably use the Sullivan intake if I could though.

HellionCobra

More to come!
Established Member
i never said that the hellion kit is the best kit in the world. this is simply the hellion street kit, made to put out decent horsepower with ease of installation and quality piping. it is not meant to be a race kit to get every last once of horsepower out. when you finally get you kit installed i will congratulate you on your numbers. i did not come on here bashing other turbo kits. if you want to help point people in a direction you can use www.turbomustangs.com and let people do their own research.

Nate

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
HellionCobra said:

Nate

I believe it. This kit will work best with the STOCK cast iron manifolds. The reason is because the stock cast iron pieces retain more heat than tubular headers. You want to keep the exhaust gas as hot as possible pre turbo so you have the most velocity. This is what makes power in turbo cars.

I called Hellion a week ago to discuss their K member and a few other kit details. They were very helpful and knowledgeable. Personally, I think the Hellion kit is the best option out there. I prefer single turbo as opposed to twin setups, just because they are generally more reliable, simpler, and cheaper.

Visually, twin turbos look more impressive, but there are double the amount of parts to fail, intercooler piping and oil plumbing are a mess, and the car is much harder to work on.

Remove one pipe on the Hellion kit and you can drop the transmission. All the piping is easy to get to, the kit is already engineered, and setup is straightforward. The quality of the kit and the support are both excellent.

Ashley

Last edited:

Tat03Cobra

Established Member
Question - can the single hellion turbo kit make as much power (or close) as the twins and how much longer will it take - rpm wise- to spool up as opposed to the twins?

peace

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
Tat03Cobra said:
Question - can the single hellion turbo kit make as much power (or close) as the twins and how much longer will it take - rpm wise- to spool up as opposed to the twins?

peace

Your choice of turbo will dictate all of those factors. The difference is that with twins you are running two small turbos compared to a single larger turbo.

Exhaust housings, compressor housings, compressor wheels and trims all play a role in how the turbo will spool and hold boost.

There is no one answer to your questions, as there are too many variables. Different setups will yeild different results. Niether setup is better than the other... it is just a matter of how you pick the turbo for what you want to do with the car.

F8LVNM

Established Member
So for a complete setup its going to be just under 10K, I think I'll just sick to getting a KB, but i sure would like a turbo setup though.

Users who are viewing this thread