Who made the stock shocks in 1992?

03blackvert

Established Member
I have a 1992 that desperately needs new shocks, but it's a looker and may get entered in a competition or two. I'd like to get replacements that are as similar as possible to the OEM shocks it came with but are no longer available.

My first question is, does anyone know who was making the shocks for Ford in 1992? I think they are labeled with Ford part numbers, but I'm sure they had someone else making them for them.

My second question is, what's the closest I can get today? I think the answer is this Gabriel set (https://lmr.com/item/GRC-G55551BK/gabriel-mustang-shock-strut-kit-w-quad-shocks-84-93-5-0-svo), the upper horizontal shocks have the same taper design the stock ones do. I don't see any other shocks with this taper, leaving me to think maybe Gabriel was making the OEM's in 1992?

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
Went through this a while ago, were even less options then. Shocks I got were blue, I painted them black. The option you list seems like a good one. I would loose the stickers.

If your going for MCA gold etc, keep the OEM ones, and swap them back for the show (if your going that far in the show world).

03blackvert

Established Member
I don’t think I’m hard-core enough to ever go for something like MCA gold. I will keep the OEM ones though, in case I sell this to someone down the road who wants to go that route.

Perhaps we might enter into something like the occasionally driven category. More likely it’ll just be something at a local car show. I just don’t want the shocks to be like bright neon green and stick out. The taper on the upper rear shock is also somewhat distinctive, so I’d like to keep that so the casual lookers think it’s basically stock shocks.

I probably will lose the stickers. If these are more or less the same black is the stock black it would be extremely hard to tell they’re not original. The only markings on the originals are embossed part numbers, and I can’t even read those without getting up close and a flashlight. I think only judges in a category like MCA gold might even notice.

Mustang5L5

Established Member
I seem to recall somewhere on the physical shock it does say "made in XXX" which might give a clue as to their origins. It's been a while since ive seen OE shocks but these topics come up in some of the FB groups i'm in where folks are restoring their 93 cobras or fox Saleens to OE specs. Those guys go nuts for OE and NOS parts. This topic came up maybe 3-4 months ago but aftear searching, i cannot locate it today.

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
Went to a Grand National in NH, took 3 cars, got gold for all three, and one was was even platinum. Holy crap that was a TON of work getting them ready. Have not been back to a national since, as they have been just too darn far away.

Yes NOS / original parts are very valuable. They dont even have to work, in the case of oil filters, and dead batteries. Then there are date coded tires........

03blackvert

Established Member
See, that's where I don't get it. I understand keeping the car "original", but I don't understand having a 30 year old oil filter or tires on a car. The only way that makes sense is if it is in a museum & displayed in a way you can see the filter or read the sidewall & the car will never be driven again.

I guess basically I don't understand people who trailer the cars to shows to exhibit them like a piece of art. The car should have to drive to the show under its own power, safely.

Mustang5L5

Established Member
i don't disagree with you, but those concurs auto shows get very extreme. It's so competitive that if having the correct 30 year old oil filter on the car gets them extra points and a win, they will do it.

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
I agree too, its a different world. Its similar to the folks into "wrapper" cars, that cant be driven.

The only thing I would add about MCA. The cars are not competing against each other specifically, the car is being judged to a standard, and attain the level appropriate, gold, silver etc. So you could have 10+ cars be gold, in class, but they are not ranked against each other (1-10). Im sure the individuals will brag to eachother about their judging sheets at a future event..... Was an interesting experience. Learned a lot that weekend, would be even better prepared if we ever do it again.

Mustang5L5

Established Member
This is why some of those year specific parts bring big money. Line dated spark plug wires, or 93 specific water pump bolts.

I found my old original valve cover bolts with the 4 special spark plug holder bolts and threw it on eBay and got $50 within a few days. I was all set to toss them in the misc bolts coffee can.

03blackvert

Established Member
To close this out, yesterday the Gabriel shocks went on the car. They look extremely similar to the stock units. There are some very minor differences if you have a keen eye, like the clip on the boot of the horizontal shock is different. They of course have different embossed part numbers. The color is similar, all black, but the new ones are just a bit shinier in finish.

Most importantly, the ride is dramatically better. It's still a Fox Body ride, it won't win any awards, but the difference was still pretty amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread