who lives around dearborn

black10th vert

Established Member
I'm from the Norfolk assembly plant where we build the F150. I've been offered a transfer to dearborn and was just wondering if anybody on here can recommend any nice areas to live around there within a descent driving distance to the plant. Still haven't decided if I want to make the move but thought I would check it out. thanks

Dearborn has a lot of nice areas if you stay away from the east side. There are a ton of suburbs around Dearborn, too that are pretty desirable. Combine that with multiple major freeways running through it and it's a decent location for work.

The real estate market in Michigan is also among the worst in the entire country right now, so you should be able to get a killer deal on a house.

313Speed

Banned
Dearborn is kind of odd, I've seen really nice houses next to some cheap ones. That area is probally not the best, but check out areas like Royal Oak or Sterling Hts, or maybe even around Romulus. I assume you'd head to the River Rouge plant, since thats where they are making F150s. Super nice plant, really well done. Travel in the Detroit area isn't that bad, the city was double it's current size back in the 1950s and 1960s, the the freeway system is more then the locals really need. Only problem... there are some scary areas you may not want to travel in.

ScareCrow

"Facts are stupid things"
Established Member
Royal Oak , Sterling Heights , Southfield , Livonia , etc. All nice cities within about 30 minutes of the plants in dearborn

black10th vert

Established Member
Thanks, I've been to the dreamcruise a few times but don't really know the area very well.I do know where royal oak and birmingham are but didn't know how traffic was from there to the plant. Yes I would be at the Rouge but they can't tell us yet if we'd be in the assembly plant or not. I'm in maintenance so our situation is a little different from the others who are transferring. Still not sure if I'm ready for the cold but I know there is all kinds of car stuff going on all the time. I'm also into pontiac muscle cars and I know there is a big pontiac club up there to so that would be cool. Thanks for any help. I have to decide by next thursday.

Chachi3323

03 Redfire GT
Established Member
i used to live in the Plymouth and Canton area. Very nice places to live and is building. Northville, Novi, Farmington Hills areas are great as well.

WhippleCharged Sonic

Screwed, Blued & Tattooed
Established Member
ScareCrow said:
Royal Oak , Sterling Heights , Southfield , Livonia , etc. All nice cities within about 30 minutes of the plants in dearborn

Those are all nice, but more then 30 minutes. I live downriver which there are some nice cities and work in Royal Oak and it is 30+ minutes on a good day. You can also look at Allen Park, Southgate, Woodhaven, Brownstown and Canton.

plan b

hooters for looters
Established Member
Romulus sucks ass. I live in Plymouth and used to live in Dearborn. Figure out a price range and search around. You'll be sure to find a good deal. There are ton's of houses for sale right now. Anywhere around downtown Dearborn is nice. Mostly Bungalow type houses. Figure Michigan ave. between Outer Drive and the Glass house (FoMoCo headquarters). Anywhere close to that area is pretty cool.

Chachi3323

03 Redfire GT
Established Member
plan b said:
Romulus sucks ass. I live in Plymouth and used to live in Dearborn. Figure out a price range and search around. You'll be sure to find a good deal. There are ton's of houses for sale right now. Anywhere around downtown Dearborn is nice. Mostly Bungalow type houses. Figure Michigan ave. between Outer Drive and the Glass house (FoMoCo headquarters). Anywhere close to that area is pretty cool.

Where abouts in Plymouth do you live? I lived in the Plymouth-Canton area for 12 years...

spanky

Established Member
I live in Tecumseh, (southwest of AnnArbor) and used to comute to Dearborn. It was 55 miles one way, it took about an hour in the morning and about an hour and ten minutes at night. The Rouge is right off I94 so you can head west with relative ease. You could look in the New Boston/Belleview area. That would be about a half hour drive for you. I now work in Livonia, it is a different direction, 47 miles and it still takes about an hour each way.

plan b

hooters for looters
Established Member
Chachi3323 said:
Where abouts in Plymouth do you live? I lived in the Plymouth-Canton area for 12 years...

Near the Northridge church on N. Territorial rd. I grew up in Plymouth, lived in Canton when I had an apartment a long time ago.

plan b

hooters for looters
Established Member
Plymouth Salem, I only had 2 classes @ Canton during HS.

black10th vert

Established Member
About how long does it take to drive from woodhaven and is it mostly pretty good places to live around there. I mean we have some nice areas around here but you might drive 5 minutes down the street and get mugged. This is kind of crazy, they just let us know yesterday we might have the chance to transfer but we have to let them know by next week, so thanks for any help.

bone stock

Established Member
i live in warren and work in bloomfield hills and the freeways are insane to get to work at anytime of day. make sure to take the commute into consideration. i hear royal oak is the place to be now.

by the way, warren is rapidly deteriorating. my advice would be to flock north!

Last edited:

Chachi3323

03 Redfire GT
Established Member
plan b said:
Plymouth Salem, I only had 2 classes @ Canton during HS.

I went to Salem also. I had about 2 classes a year in Canton. I didn't like the winters but the warm weather was the best. Walking outside and seeing all the hunnies and short shorts made it worth it.

Shaneo0oMac

Established Member
Be my neighbor move to Grosse Ile yes it is a island literally and i can see canada

but anyways novi, farmington hills, blah blah downriver isnt to bad of a community alot of new housing developments going up so you might be able to score a nice crib for a nice price

its a buyers market

Users who are viewing this thread