who knows How to Remove a Freeze Plug?

Dogshark

Established Member
I had my heads reconditioned at a machine shop. In this first pic we're looking at the "before" passenger rear head. In the second pic is the "after" without the hose on it. My issue is how does that hose go back on. It seems like its supposed to fit into the "freeze plug" but theres no way it can squeeze in there. Is that freeze plug supposed to be on there? I don't think it is? How can I remove it? It looks like theres some type of hard glue sealing it in, it's not just pressed in like on the block. Will this crap just chip off if I go at it? Should I carefully use a dremel?
DSC01421.gif

DSC01605.gif

Last edited:

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
carefully knock it sideways with a hammer and screwdriver , pull it out with pliers.

This is correct. You just tap them out. Be careful though because you can tap them into the head if you're not cautious.

You are sure you have the heads on the correct side, btw? They're interchangable depending on how the freeze plugs are installed. Might want to check and make sure you're able to install you're coolant crossover tube.

Last edited:

Dogshark

Established Member
carefully knock it sideways with a hammer and screwdriver , pull it out with pliers.

That sounds simple. It looks like theres some type of hard glue sealing it in, it's not just pressed in like on the block. Will this crap just chip off? Guess I will find out.

This is correct. You just tap them out. Be careful though because you can tap them into the head if you're not cautious.

You are sure you have the heads on the correct side, btw? They're interchangable depending on how the freeze plugs are installed. Might want to check and make sure you're able to install you're coolant crossover tube.

Yes I'm pretty sure they're on correctly. The coolant crossover holes are at the front.

CJK440

Established Member
That sounds simple. It looks like theres some type of hard glue sealing it in, it's not just pressed in like on the block. Will this crap just chip off? Guess I will find out.

I'd guess the crap will disolve with a little laquer thinner on a rag.

Dogshark

Established Member
Got it! Well that took a freakin day. Long story short, I banged it in after being unsuccessful at making a hole in the center to try and pull it out that way. Got it sideways and banged it a few times to get it out-of-round and vuala, it came out. Cleaned up some of that glue residue, used one of those expanding magnet pencil things to pick up some metal shavings, and the hose went back on. Thanks for the help and suggestions.

DSC01609.gif

DSC01612.gif

DSC01611.gif

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
glad you got it, its easy, I knocked like 6 out in about 2 min on an old 5.0 block we were honing and cleaning up, just don't wanna knock it in all the way.

Users who are viewing this thread