Who knows about car audio installations???

sikwitit36

Banned
Allright im not too good at this stuff. I got the whole system set up but the remote wire for the amp. This needs to go to an ignition source. I know that. The question is where is the best place for it. Ive always known the easy way but never done it and that is to go through the cigarette lighter socket. but since it runs constant power that means my amp will always be turned on right? any other suggestions where i can tap it into where i dont have to pull a bunch of crap apart? Whoever has 03 or newer Mazda 6 in here who knows about this cars setup please help me out. I checked on the cig lighter route and theres two wires. one brown and the other white i think. which one of these do i tap into if i go this way? And I can just do a direct tap from the amp to the cig lighter wire right?

djc

Professional Nerd
Established Member
Why would you want your amp on all the time?

You haven't stated if you replaced the head unit. If you did, it should have a remote wire just for this purpose.

If not, a power antenna lead will work. Most head units have this. Any other switchable source will work. It's been a while, but generally yellow means switched, red is constant.

203Cree

Established Member
Yeah, the easiest way would be to wire it into your remote wire on your head unit, as that will power it up with the unit instead of all the time.

Of course, if this isn't an option, you could go the cig lighter route and put a toggle switch on it. I've had to that before.

NIT2WN

torque junky
Established Member
If it has a power antenna, tap into it. the antenna only goes up when the radio is on. If you used an after market head unit it should have a power antenna/ remote for amp wire. I know Pioneers do.

taintedme

Established Member
NIT2WN said:
If it has a power antenna, tap into it. the antenna only goes up when the radio is on. If you used an after market head unit it should have a power antenna/ remote for amp wire. I know Pioneers do.

the problem with this is that the amp will shut off while listening to cd's. if it's still the factory radio, CAREFULLY remove the radio and connect to ignition wire. (get a voltmeter or test light). and, by the way, on aftermarket stereos, yellow is constant, red is switched.

sikwitit36

Banned
djc said:
Why would you want your amp on all the time?

You haven't stated if you replaced the head unit. If you did, it should have a remote wire just for this purpose.

If not, a power antenna lead will work. Most head units have this. Any other switchable source will work. It's been a while, but generally yellow means switched, red is constant.

I dont want my amp on all the time. Thats why I said I need another source. I dont have a test meter. Even though their cheap I wasnt plan on buying one. I was asking if anyone with a mazda of this year and model had to hook theirs up where they put their remote wire. And yes the deck is a factory Bose. So their is no remote wire hookup for the cd player.

sikwitit36

Banned
OK heres what im thinking. Im going to tap the remote wire into the Ignition "ON" wire. That way the amp only turns on when the key is in the "ON" position and not off or accessory. I searched hi and lo and couldnt find a diagram on where this wire is and what wire it is. Anybody who has a 04 Mazda 6 or knows where I can get a pictured diagram of where this wire is located and what color it is would be very helpful so I can get this done. Wondering if I can get to the wire without pulling the whole steering column apart.

boostaholic

Mile High
Established Member
Buy a test light at advance auto or another parts store for about $3...don't hurt yourself either :thumbsup:

SVTDemon

Established Member
sikwitit36 said:
OK heres what im thinking. Im going to tap the remote wire into the Ignition "ON" wire. That way the amp only turns on when the key is in the "ON" position and not off or accessory. I searched hi and lo and couldnt find a diagram on where this wire is and what wire it is. Anybody who has a 04 Mazda 6 or knows where I can get a pictured diagram of where this wire is located and what color it is would be very helpful so I can get this done. Wondering if I can get to the wire without pulling the whole steering column apart.

I do this for a living. you are right on hook it into the ignition wire but no you don't have to go through the steering column to do it. GO GET A TEST LIGHT. pull the radio out and test the wires until you find the one that makes the light go on and off when you turn the key on and off and that is your wire.

Big Vito

tactician
Established Member
SVTDemon said:
I do this for a living. you are right on hook it into the ignition wire but no you don't have to go through the steering column to do it. GO GET A TEST LIGHT. pull the radio out and test the wires until you find the one that makes the light go on and off when you turn the key on and off and that is your wire.
where do you work?

unclesams_svt

B.O.H.I.C.A
Established Member
SVTDemon said:

+1, or you can find a switched sourced wire coming out of the fuse box and tap into it there.

sikwitit36

Banned
Hey guys appreciate all your help. I got it up and pounding yesterday. The thing on the test lite is that i went and got one and i couldnt get nothing but one constant wire. I thought it was my meter but wasnt sure. So i went to the only local rund down dive of an audio store on this island and of course they wanted to charge me 45 bucks just to test it. This is pretty much a third world country. Of course their going to rip off a howley.

So I called a Mazda dealer and he said there was no ACC wire that isnt constant like running the cig lighter through the back of the factory Bose head unit. He gave me the ignition wire color and i tapped into that below the steering column. Which was much easier or seemed it would be than running through the fuse box. I called a car audio store back home i know and they said they would use the ignition wire as a last resort but it wouldnt hurt anything to tap into it.

Last edited:

cobraracer46

Banned
Tapping into other cuircits or fuses to power an aftermarket accesory is a big no no :nono: as it will open up a big can of worms. Any stand alone after market electrical unit like an radio amp should only be powerd by a fused wire directly off the battery.

Users who are viewing this thread