Who is running the Air Raid CAI WITHOUT a tune?

justdrivestang

and who is not? Are the ones without tunes seeing a decent AFR?

I'd love to just throw it on and go, but I'd like to know if I should get the car tuned if need be.

SILV03MustangGT

Han Brolo CDR 5.Broliance
Established Member
i saw a post that a guy had asked the same question and Dave (iirc) from airraid said that on a minor bolt on car it was better to leave the insert in even when tuned. he said the cars with major mods benefited from taking the insert out. ill try to find the link.

hand-filer

Established Member
I'm running the Airaid without a tune at present. I ran it for a short period of time in conjunction with a Bama 91 octane tune.
I don't have numbers to confirm it but the car feels faster without the tune.
Interesting that Airaid recommends running the insert with a tune on mildly modified cars.

justdrivestang

I'm just kind of liking the fact that I can just bolt this on and go...and just swapping intakes back to stock if I have to take it in for warranty work.

DIB5.0

Established Member
Not worth it without a tune. You do not benefit on the track at all. It may dyno higher but the performance is nil.

Ray Lucca

Established Member
The New September 5.0 has the '11-12 Air Raid CAI tested and it gained 20 Rwhp, and 20 Rwtq, WITHOUT a Tune... As per usual 5.0 's editing sucks as they said it leans out the car, it didn't....From 4000-5400 Rpm's it's richer than stock. Beyond that it barely moves from stock. Ex. at 6500 Rpm's, stock A/F was 12.26, with the Air Raid it's 12.33 AF. Read it yourself and see, it's basically the same. Eye-opening to say the least....Why didn't they go beyond 6500 Rpm's???? What say you, David from Air Raid????

Last edited:

DIB5.0

Established Member
So when you get a tune with insert in its just like a tune for a stock box? So if it was showing to lean out a stock car would it not do that with even a tune? So would it not be best to get a tune with insert out so it is tuned for that?

Airaid Filters

Established Member
and who is not? Are the ones without tunes seeing a decent AFR?

I'd love to just throw it on and go, but I'd like to know if I should get the car tuned if need be.

Hello justdrivestang,

The AIRAID is designed as a direct Bolt-on, with NO Aftermarket Tuning Required.

You can always add a Tune later down the road if you are looking for additional performance, however it is not needed if you are only looking to bolt on the AIRAID.

The New September 5.0 has the '11-12 Air Raid CAI tested and it gained 20 Rwhp, and 20 Rwtq, WITHOUT a Tune... As per usual 5.0 's editing sucks as they said it leans out the car, it didn't....From 4000-5400 Rpm's it's richer than stock. Beyond that it barely moves from stock. Ex. at 6500 Rpm's, stock A/F was 12.26, with the Air Raid it's 12.33 AF. Read it yourself and see, it's basically the same. Eye-opening to say the least....Why didn't they go beyond 6500 Rpm's???? What say you, David from Air Raid????

Hello Ray Lucca,

I have read this post a couple of times and I am not sure what you are trying to say or ask.

If this can be clarified, I would be happy to answer the question.

Thanks,
David

Ray Lucca

Established Member
OK David, I'm trying to do you a solid here. According to the new 5.0 magazine on pg. 146, by adding the Air Raid CAI and NO TUNE, a bone stock '11 5.0 GT added 20 Rwhp and 20 Rwtq, which is HUGE. With all the # 8 issues going around your Mod keeps warranty with a quick switch and adds 20 HP and TQ, by independent test. My issue is with 5.0 Mag. and their continued sloppy editing, they say your CAI causes "air/fuel stats are a tad leaner than we prefer" Really, where??!!! BS, pure BS, look at the 2 A/F lists, most of yours are in fact richer than stock, or very close. I have continued problems with 5.0's written text not matching their printed stats. You have a very good independently tested Mod here, that gives great safe results....Great job!!!!

hand-filer

Established Member
OK David, I'm trying to do you a solid here. According to the new 5.0 magazine on pg. 146, by adding the Air Raid CAI and NO TUNE, a bone stock '11 5.0 GT added 20 Rwhp and 20 Rwtq, which is HUGE. With all the # 8 issues going around your Mod keeps warranty with a quick switch and adds 20 HP and TQ, by independent test. My issue is with 5.0 Mag. and their continued sloppy editing, they say your CAI causes "air/fuel stats are a tad leaner than we prefer" Really, where??!!! BS, pure BS, look at the 2 A/F lists, most of yours are in fact richer than stock, or very close. I have continued problems with 5.0's written text not matching their printed stats. You have a very good independently tested Mod here, that gives great safe results....Great job!!!!

Ray,

I wouldn't put a lot of stock into anything (zero in fact) that 5.0 prints. They can't spell worth a shit and they can't tell the difference between metric and SAE fasteners.
Having said that, I contacted Airaid several months ago to ask them a few questions. It might even have been Dave that replied to my email.
Their dyno tests netted 11 horsepower using 91 octane fuel for both before and after pulls.
I think most of the tuners post net gains using 87 octane for the before and 91 octane for the after.
I'll reiterate once again - my car runs better/stronger with the Airaid and insert with the stock tune versus the Airaid and no insert with a tune.
Maybe my car is an exception to the rule but I'm done experimenting with mail order tunes.
I'll stick with the Airaid for now and likely do a Roush TVS blower install in the fall.

Last edited:

justdrivestang

So that being said and from the independent test 5.0 did (even though they botched up what they wrote with the data they provided) I will not need to worry about a AFR lean issue. Correct?

Airaid Filters

Established Member

Hello Ray Lucca,

Ok I gotcha. That is the same thing I read as well when I saw the article as well.

Thanks for the post and the feedback :beer:

So that being said and from the independent test 5.0 did (even though they botched up what they wrote with the data they provided) I will not need to worry about a AFR lean issue. Correct?

Hello justdrivestang,

The AIRAID is designed with the MVT to allow it to have proper A/F Ratio and MAF Functionality.

You can Bolt-It On and go!

Thanks,
David

FastRedPonyCar