Who is running 12psi on stock cobra block?

187import

Established Member
Just wanted to see who is running 12psi on stock cobra shortblock? I'm thinking about going down a pulley size and making 12psi. I don't plan on beating the crap out of the car, so I think it should b fine with conservitive tune?? Open to opinions! My mods are P-1sc 98 cobra with all the bolt on's!

KingCobra10Sec

Project Cobra R in Progre
Established Member
all I can say is KABOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, that motors going to blow like paris hilton after a few drinks

fst86410

Established Member
I was. It lasted about a year then it started smoking. It broke a ring land. Now I am building a better engine with a bigger blower. see sig

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
i think you will be ok for a bit.
the biggest killers are
1. the tune
2. driving habits

The biggest killer is detonation. Which of course will be a factor of the above. To the OP dont do it. You are already making 450rwhp on 9.5#. Most of us would say you are already on borrowed time.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
I had 12psi on my engine before it blew. I drove it as a DD and didn't beat on it hardly ever. It lasted me 14k mi. It gave out on a cool dense aired day and when it let go I was seeing 14-15 psi. So be very carful. I was pushing 484rwhp on a mustang dyno..

cbr repsol

Established Member
Thanks 4 the advice and opinions.. I just wanted to hit 500rwhp on stock engine..

Sorry but 500rwhp is not happening with 12 psi on a stock engine. You will need lots of boltons. Like cams, headers, full exhaust and some port work. I still think you have too much compression with that n/a motor. It would probably be more happy around 400 to 420 rwhp

cbr repsol

Established Member
Thanks 4 the advice and opinions.. I just wanted to hit 500rwhp on stock engine..

Sorry but 500rwhp is not happening with 12 psi on a stock engine. You will need lots of boltons. Like cams, headers, full exhaust and some port work. I still think you have too much compression with that n/a motor. It would probably be more happy around 425 to 450 rwhp. You should be happy it has not broke with the 450 rwhp you are making.

Red98CobraStang

Got Torque?
Established Member
You COULD do 12psi if your intercooled and you have a head cooling mod. Either way your still on borrowed time. Start saving for a built shortblock NOW because you will need it.

Red98CobraStang

Got Torque?
Established Member
Sorry but 500rwhp is not happening with 12 psi on a stock engine. You will need lots of boltons. Like cams, headers, full exhaust and some port work. I still think you have too much compression with that n/a motor. It would probably be more happy around 400 to 420 rwhp

Are you kidding me? 10-12 psi intercooled out of a vortech S-trim is enough for 500rwhp. Yes, LT's, x pipe, catback, IMRC delete and a shortrunner intake will be needed, but it can be done. No cams or port work at all. The above mentioned and a good tune will get you there.

cbr repsol

Established Member
just like I said on a stock engine i dont think its that easy. with added boltons im sure its possible but I think the motor will live on borrowed time.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
Are you kidding me? 10-12 psi intercooled out of a vortech S-trim is enough for 500rwhp. Yes, LT's, x pipe, catback, IMRC delete and a shortrunner intake will be needed, but it can be done. No cams or port work at all. The above mentioned and a good tune will get you there.

I think what he meant by not happening was the motor holding together at 12 psi and 500 rwhp. I don't think it will either.

BlownVenom01

Boost > NA
Established Member
12 is too much to be reliable. I tuned my procharger p-1sc to 8 psi and concentrated on making it faster in other ways ie alot of suspension and weight reduc. Believe me it's much better to have 8 psi I can semi-reasonably beat on (that's just as fun to drive) than a 12 psi car I'd have to worry about.

I know about the latter because I had an WRX with a gt35r pushing 33 pounds. 403 awhp on a stock 04 wrx tranny and axles lol. It was a rolling explosion waiting to happen

02SVTV6

Established Member
I plan on 10psi with a conservative tune im looking to try and run 10s with that on my V1 Strim however I have a powerpipe, and custom front mount setup with a more then big intercooler that runs so efficient i dont lose anything except when i have belt slip...do have a full 3 inch exhaust and suspension work to help me go 10s and ported inlet to accept a single tbody....and a much conservative sniper tune..my motor was also redone with all new bearings seals gaskets at 43K miles now im at 55k so im sure that helps...previous owner had it done just before I picked it up

rockthemullet

Established Member
Sorry but 500rwhp is not happening with 12 psi on a stock engine. You will need lots of boltons. Like cams, headers, full exhaust and some port work. I still think you have too much compression with that n/a motor. It would probably be more happy around 425 to 450 rwhp. You should be happy it has not broke with the 450 rwhp you are making.

I am at 502/433 on my S-trim at 10.5psi and at 6k rpm (limited due to fuel issues while tuning, now fixed but not retuned to 7k yet). I have full exhaust and the S-trim, thats it for power mods. I've been running it like this for about a year and its plenty strong, never had a single hickup.

~Eric

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
I am at 502/433 on my S-trim at 10.5psi and at 6k rpm (limited due to fuel issues while tuning, now fixed but not retuned to 7k yet). I have full exhaust and the S-trim, thats it for power mods. I've been running it like this for about a year and its plenty strong, never had a single hickup.

~Eric

Not yet(knock on wood).

Users who are viewing this thread