Who is into building PC's/Gaming rigs?

venm4u97

Established Member
I have the LEDs hooked up - some are outside the case behind the monitors and on both sides of the desk. I have two Hue+ controllers, one for the lights in the case and one for the lights outside. Both are set to just fade between colors. There are quite a few presets but I think I'll just leave it like this. You can also set the Hue+ to "Smart" mode where the colors change depending on the temperature of your GPU. CPU or FPS. In "Audio" mode the colors sync with music played on the computer.

36202921910_836148d329_h.jpg

36430769662_0d3ea12756_b.jpg

36202922010_f5af7180f0_b.jpg

what kind of monitor brah?

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
I just finished Mafia 3. Holy crap that game makes my processor run hot. I have a small floor fan blowing on my case to cool it off. I'm too cheap to buy a better cooler for the little processor intensive gaming i do. Now i need to find another fun RPG to play.

Intervention302

Established Member
Upgraded my 970 FTW+ to a eVGA 1080 FTW2

Anybody want a lightly used 970 for $150?

Still rocking my 4790k with open loop cooler.

Hitting around 18,400 on Firestrike

Never thought this thread would get this big

mr2cam

Established Member
Upgraded my 970 FTW+ to a eVGA 1080 FTW2

Anybody want a lightly used 970 for $150?

Still rocking my 4790k with open loop cooler.

Hitting around 18,400 on Firestrike

Never thought this thread would get this big

Wish it was a 1070, would buy it for my mining rig, have 9 of them already but could always use more :D

Great Asp

Established Member
Premium Member
I am going to build a new gaming pc and use my old rig at the office as my office pc is near the end.
Question: I am going to go i9 (like 7900 something) and definitely an GTX 1080 vid card, but it would not break my budget to get a second card and 2-way SLI them, you think it is worth the performance going forward?

E

mr2cam

Established Member
I am going to build a new gaming pc and use my old rig at the office as my office pc is near the end.
Question: I am going to go i9 (like 7900 something) and definitely an GTX 1080 vid card, but it would not break my budget to get a second card and 2-way SLI them, you think it is worth the performance going forward?

E

Are you going to be doing heavy workloads / video editing on this pc? If its purely a gaming pc get an i7 8700k from silicon lottery and have it delidded by them, will easily hit 5.0ghz, for a 6 core 12 threaded cpu that is insane.

Great Asp

Established Member
Premium Member
Are you going to be doing heavy workloads / video editing on this pc? If its purely a gaming pc get an i7 8700k from silicon lottery and have it delidded by them, will easily hit 5.0ghz, for a 6 core 12 threaded cpu that is insane.
This system (which I am taking to work to replace my dying comp) is an i7 3770 as a point of reference and it is water cooled (that's what you mean by delidded?, I am a noob on some tech talk).

I just looked on intel and I "think" I would look at the i9 18-core
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/processors/core/x-series/i9-7980xe.html

When I bought the current i7 it was almost the best you could get, but on new higher res games it bogs down. Now my vid card now is a single GTX 660 ti so I wondered if the dual card would be an advantage in the future (VR stuff)?

Thanks for the help.

E

mr2cam

Established Member
This system (which I am taking to work to replace my dying comp) is an i7 3770 as a point of reference and it is water cooled (that's what you mean by delidded?, I am a noob on some tech talk).

I just looked on intel and I "think" I would look at the i9 18-core
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/processors/core/x-series/i9-7980xe.html

When I bought the current i7 it was almost the best you could get, but on new higher res games it bogs down. Now my vid card now is a single GTX 660 ti so I wondered if the dual card would be an advantage in the future (VR stuff)?

Thanks for the help.

E

Delidding is when you remove the IHS (integrated heat spreader) on the cpu and remove the garbage thermal paste that Intel puts on which is between the IHS and the dye with something that cools better like liquid metal.

The reason why I would suggest against the i9 is that it is made for people that do a lot of video rendering and other non gaming workloads. It isn't that good of a gaming cpu because of all the cores, the 8700k is your best bet, it will do amazing at gaming and is also very good at some heavy workload.

Great Asp

Established Member
Premium Member
Delidding is when you remove the IHS (integrated heat spreader) on the cpu and remove the garbage thermal paste that Intel puts on which is between the IHS and the dye with something that cools better like liquid metal.

The reason why I would suggest against the i9 is that it is made for people that do a lot of video rendering and other non gaming workloads. It isn't that good of a gaming cpu because of all the cores, the 8700k is your best bet, it will do amazing at gaming and is also very good at some heavy workload.
Got it! Thanks!

E ;)

quad

Established Member

I have a dog in this fight lol!

The I9-7900x is by no means a bad gaming CPU. It is actually at the top in many benchmarks compared to current CPUs. Even though it has 10 cores at lower speeds than the 8700k it does include Intel® Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0. With Intel® Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0, lightly-threaded performance is optimized by identifying your processor's fastest cores and directing your most critical workloads to them.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...y/turbo-boost/turbo-boost-max-technology.html

I have been running my I9-7900x at 4.6ghz liquid cooled without delidding for a few months now with zero issues. The computer is on 24/7. I also do Ethereum mining on the 1080ti when I am sleeping or away for a few hours. The hash rate with the 1080ti is 38 mh/s. I have gotten it up to 40 mh/s but it was not stable at those overclocked speeds.

My wife's 1070 paired with the AMD 8350FX is also mining Ethereum at 31 mh/s @ 100 watts for the GPU. I got that up also to about 33 mh/s but was not stable. The 1070 is definitely the better option for mining vs the 1080 ti because of the lower power consumption and cost of the card.

Here is a direct comparison with the 8700k:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/intel_core_i7_8700k_processor_review,18.html

index.png

mr2cam

Established Member
I have a dog in this fight lol!

The I9-7900x is by no means a bad gaming CPU. It is actually at the top in many benchmarks compared to current CPUs. Even though it has 10 cores at lower speeds than the 8700k it does include Intel® Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0. With Intel® Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0, lightly-threaded performance is optimized by identifying your processor's fastest cores and directing your most critical workloads to them.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...y/turbo-boost/turbo-boost-max-technology.html

I have been running my I9-7900x at 4.6ghz liquid cooled without delidding for a few months now with zero issues. The computer is on 24/7. I also do Ethereum mining on the 1080ti when I am sleeping or away for a few hours. The hash rate with the 1080ti is 38 mh/s. I have gotten it up to 40 mh/s but it was not stable at those overclocked speeds.

My wife's 1070 paired with the AMD 8350FX is also mining Ethereum at 31 mh/s @ 100 watts for the GPU. I got that up also to about 33 mh/s but was not stable. The 1070 is definitely the better option for mining vs the 1080 ti because of the lower power consumption and cost of the card.

Here is a direct comparison with the 8700k:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/intel_core_i7_8700k_processor_review,18.html

View attachment 1444854

It depends on the game, there are few games that take control of all the cores in the 7900x, it is just overkill and for strictly gaming its a waste of money compared to an 8700k

quad

Established Member
It depends on the game, there are few games that take control of all the cores in the 7900x, it is just overkill and for strictly gaming its a waste of money compared to an 8700k
Yes I agree the 8700k will be the best value for money if gaming is the goal. However the 7900x is not bad at gaming as you stated. It is on the top for many games. And even in single threaded games the 7900x will still have a core operating at 4.6 ghz. A core is still a core. This is why the 7900x outperforms Threadripper in single threaded benchmarks but loses out in others where the extra cores in Threadripper makes a difference.

Here are more benchmarks from that list with the 7900x at or near the top.

index.png

index.png

index.png

index.png

Ford>Chevy

Established Member
Christmas came early, I found a good deal on a never opened original Titan X Pascal (2016) not the Titan Xp (2017). Could not pass it up and am running it in SLI overclocked +200 core +650 memory. Scored over 30,000 in Firestrike, and it just laughs at games even in 4K. In my flight simulator, SLI is most definitely working. Getting 85-90% usage on both cards, and the FPS is not increased but rather the workload is being spread out causing it to not stutter like it was before on a single card when it would hit 100% usage. This setup is just decadent no other way to describe it. Would have sold my single Titan and gone 1080Ti SLI for only like $200 more but I got a good deal on this second card couldn't pass it up.

Cable management is still a mess though, need to work on that. Setup is also only running in x8/x8 instead of x16/x16 because of the board. Oh well not really any difference at all, relatively. I also have a SLI HB Bridge on the way using a soft flexible bridge temporarily.
IMG-4830.JPG

quad

Established Member
Christmas came early, I found a good deal on a never opened original Titan X Pascal (2016) not the Titan Xp (2017). Could not pass it up and am running it in SLI overclocked +200 core +650 memory. Scored over 30,000 in Firestrike, and it just laughs at games even in 4K. In my flight simulator, SLI is most definitely working. Getting 85-90% usage on both cards, and the FPS is not increased but rather the workload is being spread out causing it to not stutter like it was before on a single card when it would hit 100% usage. This setup is just decadent no other way to describe it. Would have sold my single Titan and gone 1080Ti SLI for only like $200 more but I got a good deal on this second card couldn't pass it up.

Cable management is still a mess though, need to work on that. Setup is also only running in x8/x8 instead of x16/x16 because of the board. Oh well not really any difference at all, relatively. I also have a SLI HB Bridge on the way using a soft flexible bridge temporarily. View attachment 1451534
Sweet! Case / cables look tidy!

Great Asp

Established Member
Premium Member
Got my pc (have not transferred files yet).

Went with an i7-8700 3.7 gig, two GeForce GTX 1080ti cards with SLI

Just starting to get things the way I want them.

IMG_7203-a.jpg

IMG_7199-A.jpg

3840x2160 on Just Cause 3

E

Great Asp

Established Member
Premium Member
Very nice, surprised you don't have the 1080ti's included in your loop, why?

I thought about it..... But then I thought that (2) 1080 ti's is ridiculous anyway. The build got away from me as it is.

Right now, of Fallout 4 "Ultra settings" one card is at 58 C, and the other card is at 62 C (proof that SLI isn't exactly balanced).

That is on a 3840x2160 ASUS 28" PB287Q Monitor.

The other thing is the case. This case is supposed to be big enough, but I can't imagine getting more in it.

E

helloWorld

Established Member
Is that the Thermaltake View 71? If so, what do you think about having a glass panel for the cable management side? Seems odd to me.

I am looking to update my personal build and I am wanting a watercooling friendly case with good airflow to get cool air in and hot air out. Had my mind on the Phanteks Enthoo Primo, but that case is getting old. Recently worked in the Dark Base Pro 900 and it was an alright case in my opinion. I was also looking at the Lian Li PC-O11.

Users who are viewing this thread