Who is familiar with gun laws???

MarlboroMan

Established Member
Lets say, for example, some guy was charged with a Class B misdemeanor for careless and imprudent driving three years ago, would that person be ineligible to purchase a handgun? I am unsure if this is a federal law or varies depending on state firearm is to be purchased in. If it depends on state, this person would be purchasing it in California. That "careless and imprudent driving" charge was a result of street hot rodding, nothing more. I tried to do a search, but I am finding somewhat contradicting answers. I cant find the most updated information.

While we are on the subject of gun laws, I just want to mention how damn ridiculous it sounds that a background check is required for AD Military. Im willing to bet LE officers are exempt from this.

Last edited:

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
Felonys bar you from owning guns, at least in all the states I've heard. Misdemeanors shouldn't do it. They might affect your ability to concealed carry though.

MarlboroMan

Established Member
Exactly what I was thinking in the back of my head all along. I just wanted a valid confirmation. No sense in droppin a $25 background fee just to see it get rejected.

From the information I gathered, I understood that misdemeanors will effect a CCW permit if it involved a violent act. If non-violent, then depending on state, it typically only prevents you from being eligible for around 5 yrs. Though I dont know how accurate and current this was, I just asked here for a quick response. I was mainly unsure about purchasing one. Trying to get a CCW is damn near impossible from what I heard, no matter how much of a Saint you are.

03_SVT_Freak

Stirring the pot :D
Established Member
no. i have a wreckless driving on my record and been arrested for street racing(befor they made it the bigger offense) and i now have 2 pistols, my Barrett M468, and just signed up for my CHL

wally9404

Established Member
i purchased my pistol, took the cc class and was denied a conceal carry permit until 2010 because' i was involved in two fist fights in 2005 ,you will be denied in missouri if you have been arrested for misdemeanor violence. i am allowed to carry my weapon in the car.

Last edited:

spinscan

Established Member
Here is a quote from the Texas law for a chl.

You must not have been convicted in the five years before the date of application of a Class A or B misdemeanor of an offense under Section 42.01 of the Penal Code (disorderly conduct)

+

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Lets say, for example, some guy was charged with a Class B misdemeanor for careless and imprudent driving three years ago, would that person be ineligible to purchase a handgun? I am unsure if this is a federal law or varies depending on state firearm is to be purchased in. If it depends on state, this person would be purchasing it in California. That "careless and imprudent driving" charge was a result of street hot rodding, nothing more. I tried to do a search, but I am finding somewhat contradicting answers. I cant find the most updated information.

While we are on the subject of gun laws, I just want to mention how damn ridiculous it sounds that a background check is required for AD Military. Im willing to bet LE officers are exempt from this.

Typically the only misdemeanor conviction that will prevent you from being able to purchase (not a ccw) a handgun is one that is covered by the Lautenberg Amendment, that being domestic violence.

If you are willing to bet L.E.O.s are exempted from background checks you are going to lose that bet.

The problem with exempting A.D. military from anything on a blanket basis is the fact that there are only basic minimums that every person in the military receives. The basic military B.I., is not significant. Those who have T.S. clearance and above are a different story as they go through a type of full field B.I.

The difference is every L.E.O. is actively doing that job, while someone who is a military cook, may have had training 10 years ago and occasionally has to requal, but their main job is that of a cook. It is simply that there are too many M.O.S.'s to allow for blanket coverage.

MarlboroMan

Established Member
Typically the only misdemeanor conviction that will prevent you from being able to purchase (not a ccw) a handgun is one that is covered by the Lautenberg Amendment, that being domestic violence.

If you are willing to bet L.E.O.s are exempted from background checks you are going to lose that bet.

The problem with exempting A.D. military from anything on a blanket basis is the fact that there are only basic minimums that every person in the military receives. The basic military B.I., is not significant. Those who have T.S. clearance and above are a different story as they go through a type of full field B.I.

The difference is every L.E.O. is actively doing that job, while someone who is a military cook, may have had training 10 years ago and occasionally has to requal, but their main job is that of a cook. It is simply that there are too many M.O.S.'s to allow for blanket coverage.

So that person is in the clear for purchasing a handgun, then. Thanks!

Well, I guess I lost the bet. What you said makes sense, but even for some peace officers to have a background check just sounds like pure nonsense. Their are people in the military who are not cooks and their MOS requires a duty where they carry out firearms on a daily basis. Since a background check is simply to ensure that the purchaser is not a "crazy lunatic/convicted felon" and it is safe for that person to possess a firearm, then there should be no need for one on LE/Military or one that has a job where it legally requires them to carry a firearm. To me, its like saying they dont acknowledge or trust the credentials of the US Military. I guess what I am saying is, it shouldnt really matter what MOS you are in because we are talking about background checks, not the safe handling and familiarity with firearms. Its a little irritating to me with our laws anymore in the U.S., that somebody like military police, for example, has to go through the same procedures as a 38 yr old blonde mother, who may have never even held a weapon in her entire life.

Thanks for your answers!

Last edited:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Their are people in the military who are not cooks and their MOS requires a duty where they carry out firearms on a daily basis. Since a background check is simply to ensure that the purchaser is not a "crazy lunatic/convicted felon" and it is safe for that person to possess a firearm, then there should be no need for one on LE/Military or one that has a job where it legally requires them to carry a firearm. To me, its like saying they dont acknowledge or trust the credentials of the US Military.

No, it is not saying that at all. What it is saying is that between the time the military or government agency has verified your background, your status may have changed (i.e. possessing military ID although being charged with a crime, a L.E.O. who has been charged with Domestic Violence although not convicted yet, the person was just in a mental institution, etc..) The background check needs to be the most up to date.

MarlboroMan

Established Member
No, it is not saying that at all. What it is saying is that between the time the military or government agency has verified your background, your status may have changed (i.e. possessing military ID although being charged with a crime, a L.E.O. who has been charged with Domestic Violence although not convicted yet, the person was just in a mental institution, etc..) The background check needs to be the most up to date.

I gotcha Mr. Moderator!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread